The Student Room Group

Caroline Lucas (Green MP) arrested

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhysicsKid
Yes Passivhaus costs more initially- it depends on the exact house- but you can have one built for £1k per m^2. The health benefits from indoor ventilation and effective self-sufficiency provided through solar electricity (which also powers heat pumps that mean no gas is needed in winter or in summer to provide geat and can be reversed to provide air conditioning in summer- may actually be needed to regenerated heat taken from under the ground) mean that bills in the long-term are very low. A typical Passivhaus uses only 10% of the heating of an average UK home, easily provided for by a heat pump, and with storage there is enough electricity to power all essential appliances. As research is suggesting we can double power output on current solar panels, and, as appliances become ever more efficient, the amount of outside electricity needed is small enough to be easily provided for by wind/tidal etc. For example, new battery efficiency and power consumption will mean that a single charge on a current phone will last for 2-3 weeks (many times more efficient). So, as you can see, the gap between your own energy production and consumption will lessen and lessen: bills will be in fact reduced if the government invested in these housing stocks/technologies and installed them in everyone's homes.

I think heat pumps are a brilliant idea, but the initial outlay tends to be expensive and they need a lot of land to be useful. Land which isn't available inn built up urban areas. They only tend to be useful for new builds in the brown or green belt.

the current PV solar panels just don't cut it, but remember when they first came out the efficiency if them was extolled by advocates of renewables. I ave no doubt that they will improve, but at what cost? They're not exactly the cheapest things at the moment but the price has come down but remember china has been dumping on the global market recently so proves have been artificially deflated.

appliances are becoming more efficient but ripple are now after more appliances. I still remember the days when you were really posh having two televisions in the house and it wasn't uncommon to not have a freezer. The simple fact is energy requirements are going up as is the population.

Nobody is advocating getting rid of renewables, but what is needed is a balanced approach to utilise all methods to reduce emissions in the most cost effective manner in as short as practicable method.

People shrilling about the environment without looking at the practicalities of the problem aren't helping the issue.
Has poor Caroline Lucas not been getting enough attention recently? I'd like to know what she has to say to the elderly who die every winter because they can't afford to heat their homes.
Original post by Time Tourist
Has poor Caroline Lucas not been getting enough attention recently? I'd like to know what she has to say to the elderly who die every winter because they can't afford to heat their homes.

She might point to the secretive, cartelised, monopolistic energy 'markets' and their manipulation of energy prices for one thing. Not to mention the systematic way that pensioners have had their incomes reduced by a combination of delinking pensions from earnings and the hedge fund sector being allowed to milk private pensions.

That's just for starters.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
She might point to the secretive, cartelised, monopolistic energy 'markets' and their manipulation of energy prices for one thing. Not to mention the systematic way that pensioners have had their incomes reduced by a combination of delinking pensions from earnings and the hedge fund sector being allowed to milk private pensions.

That's just for starters.

So it's got nothing to do with these graphs then?

cv_uk_total_energy.gif

UKEnergyProduction0411.gif
Original post by Time Tourist
So it's got nothing to do with these graphs then?

cv_uk_total_energy.gif

UKEnergyProduction0411.gif

Gas prices are allegedly fixed internationally, so the impact of increased UK demand due to falling UK production on them is going to be marginal. At least in theory. In reality, since the same corporations that provide energy to us also control that marketplace, it would appear they are playing with a rigged deck.

So far the UK and EU competition authorities have done everything they can to appear powerless in the teeth of this gigantic profiteering.
Reply 65
Stupid hippie.
Original post by Blueray2
Say that when you don't have a ****ing planet to drive your 4x4 or no fuel.

In my honest opinions im quite liking the hotter summers, as it indirectly means less people will be going on holiday which means more people will indirectly stop using planes which indirectly leads to less plane fuel consumption and car fuel as more people are sunbathing in their back gardens, which indirectly leads to a better tan which indirectly leads to higher confidence for people which indirectly leads to harder working confident people which indirectly leads to a better workforce which indirectly leads to a better work ethic which indirectly leads to more jobs which indirectly leads to more tax revenue which indirectly leads to more investment for more renewable sources of energy.

Thats my two cents.
Original post by Apocrypha
In my honest opinions im quite liking the hotter summers, as it indirectly means less people will be going on holiday which means more people will indirectly stop using planes which indirectly leads to less plane fuel consumption and car fuel as more people are sunbathing in their back gardens, which indirectly leads to a better tan which indirectly leads to higher confidence for people which indirectly leads to harder working confident people which indirectly leads to a better workforce which indirectly leads to a better work ethic which indirectly leads to more jobs which indirectly leads to more tax revenue which indirectly leads to more investment for more renewable sources of energy.

Thats my two cents.

I bet you indirectly like droughts and dead people as well. Poor trolling attempt on a subject you can't even grasp.
Reply 68
I don't even know that much about the science of fracking. I just don't want to be made to pay people to waste police time.

I should imagine this'll be bad publicity for the Greens. My Dad voted for them a few years ago even though he's quite right-wing because he cares a lot about climate change. He's done nothing but moan at seeing this specific protest on the news every night.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
So a rabid leftist zealot causes trouble. What else is new?
I bet you indirectly like droughts and dead people as well. Poor trolling attempt on a subject you can't even grasp.

Last i heard, Venice was sinking, not drying up! :rolleyes:

Everything i said was true, you dont like the heat? Move to Siberia.

Also, my piece ended with a happy ending where we have more renewable sources of energy, so in this sense you have failed horrifically.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Plainview
I don't even know that much about the science of fracking. I just don't want to be made to pay people to waste police time.

I should imagine this'll be bad publicity for the Greens. My Dad voted for them a few years ago even though he's quite right-wing because he cares a lot about climate change. He's done nothing but moan at seeing this specific protest on the news every night.

It's not even that damaging to the environment much at all, the only visual change would be the pipes going into the ground, cheaper fuel is what we need.
I can't take the Greens and Lucas seriously when they're protesting against fracking at a site that isn't even being fracked. These are just middle class NIMBYs protesting against a possible reduction in the value of their property and having the roughnecks in their area.
Original post by Smack
I can't take the Greens and Lucas seriously when they're protesting against fracking at a site that isn't even being fracked. These are just middle class NIMBYs protesting against a possible reduction in the value of their property and having the roughnecks in their area.

You know, same sort of people that hated Thatcher for getting rid of all them miners.. Who mined coal and other fossil fuels.
Original post by Apocrypha
Last i heard, Venice was sinking, not drying up! :rolleyes:

Everything i said was true, you dont like the heat? Move to Siberia.

Also, my piece ended with a happy ending where we have more renewable sources of energy, so in this sense you have failed horrifically.

You're an absolute idiot, climate change doesn't just mean drying up, it can mean floods as well and it affects different parts of the earth differently.
You didn't know that London has had less water supplies now that it ever has had, so just stop talking.
You're an absolute idiot, climate change doesn't just mean drying up, it can mean floods as well and it affects different parts of the earth differently.
You didn't know that London has had less water supplies now that it ever has had, so just stop talking.

Well my friend, Venice isnt being flooded it is actually sinking and has nothing to do with this 'climate change' you're talking about, or rising water levels etc. But nice try.

I dont like being called an Absolute idiot please refrain from using that terminology to verbally insult someone over the internet.
Original post by Smack

What absolute rubbish. If you're talking about Balcombe, it's a possible fracking site. If you're talking about where she was arrested, it was outside the offices of Caudrilla, who are one of the leading companies pushing for fracking.

The property price thing might be true of some people, but it's irrelevant as far as Caroline Lucas is concerned. Cheap, smearing shots do not an argument make.
Original post by Plainview

She wasn't aiming her protest at the people who have been sufficiently misled by the propaganda paid for by the oil industry into thinking that global warming is all a fairy tale - she was aiming it at people who do realise that AGW is a threat, something which is supported by most serious scientists. Your Dad doesn't sound very typical but he's welcome to his opinion. Regardless of his opinion, global warming continues.
Gotta laugh at your hypocrites. If this had been tommy Robinson or nick griffin the front page would look entirely different. She was asked to move and didn't. Whether her political beliefs are fantastically liberal or not, she disobeyed.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What absolute rubbish. If you're talking about Balcombe, it's a possible fracking site. If you're talking about where she was arrested, it was outside the offices of Caudrilla, who are one of the leading companies pushing for fracking.

Lucas was arrested at the well-site according to every news source I have read, trying to block the drilling activities of the company which were being performed perfectly legally. The Balcombe site itself is not currently being fracked (in fact no-where in the UK is at the moment) and although it is a "possible" site the protesters would be much better off protesting at a site that has actually been fracked... not at a conventional well-site, of which there are many dotted around southern England.

The property price thing might be true of some people, but it's irrelevant as far as Caroline Lucas is concerned. Cheap, smearing shots do not an argument make.

But one cannot make an "argument" with such people as everything they know about fracking, oil drilling - or pretty much anything energy related - can be written on the back of a packet of cigarettes. One can only weep at their ignorance and the damage it does to their cause.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending