The Student Room Group

Masters at Bath or Birmingham? Psychology.

Hello!

I hold conditional offers for MSc Applied Clinical Psychology at Bath and MSc Mental Health (Youth/Interdisciplinary). And I'm super confused on which to choose!!

I leaning more towards Birmingham because the course appeals to me more. However, there isn't a lot of information on the course content other than the module names. I also like that the uni is older and the campus is red-brick. I can picture myself there. Plus I've read that Birmingham is more known internationally.

The course at Bath looks quite professional and thorough and I'm sure it will attract employers. But it's more expensive, and the vibe seems really serious and mellow over there idk why I have that impression.

Can someone please help me with choosing between the two? Would appreciate any experience/knowledge about either!!
Original post by quirkyalien
Hello!

I hold conditional offers for MSc Applied Clinical Psychology at Bath and MSc Mental Health (Youth/Interdisciplinary). And I'm super confused on which to choose!!

I leaning more towards Birmingham because the course appeals to me more. However, there isn't a lot of information on the course content other than the module names. I also like that the uni is older and the campus is red-brick. I can picture myself there. Plus I've read that Birmingham is more known internationally.

The course at Bath looks quite professional and thorough and I'm sure it will attract employers. But it's more expensive, and the vibe seems really serious and mellow over there idk why I have that impression.

Can someone please help me with choosing between the two? Would appreciate any experience/knowledge about either!!

@quirkyalien

Firstly, congratulations on receiving offers from two good universities!

It’s normal to feel conflicted when making your decision but there are 3 things I’d recommend you consider, besides the league tables/reputation, to help you:

The course this is what will take up the majority of your time so will have a huge bearing on your overall university experience. Do any of the modules spark your interest? Can you see yourself enjoying them? Do they align with your future career aspirations? Are the assessment methods well-suited to you?

Student experience –chatting to current students directly can be a real eye-opener. Bath have a ‘chat with our students’ function where you can contact PG student ambassadors on Unibuddy by instant-messaging them Birmingham may well have something similar. They’re all really friendly and you can ask them questions about anything that’s important to you. I’ve checked and Bath have some postgraduate psychology students on there.

The feel of the university and the city this is somewhere you will be living for 1-2 years on a Masters’ course, so it’s a big investment in your future. Visit both cities if you are able, or check out any YouTube videos or virtual tour options on the universities’ websites. What are the shopping options like in town? The nightlife? Extra-curriculars? The green space? And don’t underestimate the power of a campus or place, just ‘feeling right’ for you

As for Bath’s atmosphere being serious/mellow. It’s worth sounding out the postgraduate student on Unibuddy to see what they think. Ask them about any sport clubs or societies they are part of or events, volunteering, part-time work they undertake to get a better feel for both universities.

I hope this helps with your decision making.

Caroline
UOB Official Rep - staff
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bath Postgraduate
@quirkyalien

Firstly, congratulations on receiving offers from two good universities!

It’s normal to feel conflicted when making your decision but there are 3 things I’d recommend you consider, besides the league tables/reputation, to help you:

The course this is what will take up the majority of your time so will have a huge bearing on your overall university experience. Do any of the modules spark your interest? Can you see yourself enjoying them? Do they align with your future career aspirations? Are the assessment methods well-suited to you?

Student experience –chatting to current students directly can be a real eye-opener. Bath have a ‘chat with our students’ function where you can contact PG student ambassadors on Unibuddy by instant-messaging them Birmingham may well have something similar. They’re all really friendly and you can ask them questions about anything that’s important to you. I’ve checked and Bath have some postgraduate psychology students on there.

The feel of the university and the city this is somewhere you will be living for 1-2 years on a Masters’ course, so it’s a big investment in your future. Visit both cities if you are able, or check out any YouTube videos or virtual tour options on the universities’ websites. What are the shopping options like in town? The nightlife? Extra-curriculars? The green space? And don’t underestimate the power of a campus or place, just ‘feeling right’ for you

As for Bath’s atmosphere being serious/mellow. It’s worth sounding out the postgraduate student on Unibuddy to see what they think. Ask them about any sport clubs or societies they are part of or events, volunteering, part-time work they undertake to get a better feel for both universities.

I hope this helps with your decision making.

Caroline
UOB Official Rep - staff

thanks so much for the advice!
Reply 3
Original post by quirkyalien
Hello!

Hii, really happy about your offers.

Could you tell me how you went about writing your personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest