The Student Room Group

Caroline Lucas (Green MP) arrested

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uktotalgamer
Gotta laugh at your hypocrites. If this had been tommy Robinson or nick griffin the front page would look entirely different. She was asked to move and didn't. Whether her political beliefs are fantastically liberal or not, she disobeyed.

Why don't you just come out and say you support the BNP and you are aggrieved that people don't like them? Either way, please buzz off to a relevant thread, you have nothing useful to contribute to this one.
Original post by Smack
Lucas was arrested at the well-site according to every news source I have read, trying to block the drilling activities of the company which were being performed perfectly legally. The Balcombe site itself is not currently being fracked (in fact no-where in the UK is at the moment) and although it is a "possible" site the protesters would be much better off protesting at a site that has actually been fracked... not at a conventional well-site, of which there are many dotted around southern England.

But one cannot make an "argument" with such people as everything they know about fracking, oil drilling - or pretty much anything energy related - can be written on the back of a packet of cigarettes. One can only weep at their ignorance and the damage it does to their cause.

Sorry, you're right, I was confusing the later protest outside the Caudrilla offices, she was arrested at Balcombe. Glad you admit that Balcombe is a future fracking site. Complete knowledge of the fracking process or economics is irrelevant to the basic fact that it is being seized on by the government to evade CO2 reduction strategies by portraying it as the panacea to our gathering energy crisis, which it isn't.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Why don't you just come out and say you support the BNP and you are aggrieved that people don't like them? Either way, please buzz off to a relevant thread, you have nothing useful to contribute to this one.

Ah, it's you again. No doubt you've spouted your liberalist drivel already. I'm a Tory, not BNP. But my point still stands, Tommy Robinson or Nick Griffin, you'd all be calling for a hefty sentence, not their freedom.
Original post by uktotalgamer
Ah, it's you again. No doubt you've spouted your liberalist drivel already. I'm a Tory, not BNP. But my point still stands, Tommy Robinson or Nick Griffin, you'd all be calling for a hefty sentence, not their freedom.

Yeah, you're just an ordinary regular Tory who's always leaping to the defence of Tommy 'n Nick. Yeah, yeah, yeah. :rolleyes:
Sorry, you're right, I was confusing the later protest outside the Caudrilla offices, she was arrested at Balcombe. Glad you admit that Balcombe is a future fracking site. Complete knowledge of the fracking process or economics is irrelevant to the basic fact that it is being seized on by the government to evade CO2 reduction strategies by portraying it as the panacea to our gathering energy crisis, which it isn't.

The protesters should at least know enough about fracking to enable them to turn up to the right site, though.

So is that what they're protesting against, the fact that shale gas isn't a credible solution to our looming energy crisis? And not the fact that they're middle class and don't want drilling derricks erected near their houses, causing their value to drop, and don't want the roughnecks in their local pubs, demanding that the cricket be switched for the footy on telly and asking why they can't get a pint of Tennents?
Yeah, you're just an ordinary regular Tory who's always leaping to the defence of Tommy 'n Nick. Yeah, yeah, yeah. :rolleyes:

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of this forum. However I will acknowledge that I think Robinson does get a bad rap on here, as I agree with the CORE part of his protests against RADICAL Islamists. Not normal followers of Islam but radicals. That being said his movement has become a trolley for the lower working class to jump on therefore it gets bad press due to all the thugs who protest for to create violence and without knowing anything about the issues.

So what is the panacea? Nuclear? Inefficient wind turbines that have failed to achieve anywhere near there claimed power output even after significant taxpayer funded subsidies on top of the increase in electricity bills.
Original post by Apocrypha
Well my friend, Venice isnt being flooded it is actually sinking and has nothing to do with this 'climate change' you're talking about, or rising water levels etc. But nice try.

I dont like being called an Absolute idiot please refrain from using that terminology to verbally insult someone over the internet.

Climate change doesn't just mean drying up, it can mean floods as well and it affects different parts of the earth differently.
You didn't know that London has had less water supplies now that it ever has had, so just stop talking.

Respond to those bits.
Original post by Blueray2
Climate change doesn't just mean drying up, it can mean floods as well and it affects different parts of the earth differently.
You didn't know that London has had less water supplies now that it ever has had, so just stop talking.

Respond to those bits.

Could you explain specifically how it effects other parts of the world differently, this area isnt my strongpoint.

I agree with Clarkson on this issue.
Could you explain specifically how it effects other parts of the world differently, this area isnt my strongpoint.

I agree with Clarkson on this issue.

It would take too long to explain it to you, I can recommend you read blood mud and ice to get an understanding on it.
It would take too long to explain it to you, I can recommend you read blood mud and ice to get an understanding on it.

To be honest mate id rather sunbathe than worry about the weather.

The whole climate change farce is just trying to make normal people feel guilty when our country actually gets some decent weather!

Or watch this film

http://fracknation.com/
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B03IYdHpvAM

Or this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJaaeiuzSU

To be honest mate id rather sunbathe than worry about the weather.

The whole climate change farce is just trying to make normal people feel guilty when our country actually gets some decent weather!

Original post by MatureStudent36
Or watch this film

http://fracknation.com/
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B03IYdHpvAM

Or this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJaaeiuzSU

This.
The next IPCC climate change report is due out soon and it seems they are having a little trouble coming up with a means of explaining the inconvenient matter that global temperatures haven't risen as they were predicting.

After all, attempts to cut man-made CO2 emissions across the world have been about as effective as pissing into the wind with year on year increases in output from the major industrial growth going on across the world, particularly China...

Why has global warming slowed? Obviously because of something we are doing, right? Well that's what they said when they thought it was rising. Nothing to do with the big yellow ball in the sky?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by marcusfox
The next IPCC climate change report is due out soon and it seems they are having a little trouble coming up with a means of explaining the inconvenient matter that global temperatures haven't risen as they were predicting.

After all, attempts to cut man-made CO2 emissions across the world have been about as effective as pissing into the wind with year on year increases in output from the major industrial growth going on across the world, particularly China...

Why has global warming slowed? Obviously because of something we are doing, right? Well that's what they said when they thought it was rising. Nothing to do with the big yellow ball in the sky?

Theyre already working on that one. The explain actions range from man made chemicals in the atmosphere, cloud formation in the stratosphere and water vapour in the air.
Original post by marcusfox

Exhaustive studies and the best available current science has confirmed that variations in solar radiation are too small to account for the warming of the last 100 years. This is well known to science, but not apparently to the propagandists for the oil industry and their paid-for dupes like Delingpole and Lawson, whom you have apparently been reading.

There are bound to be oscillations but the overall trend is still there, which is why the Arctic ice is retreating to nil over successive summers and glaciers around the world continue to be in retreat.
Reply 96
The equation is simple using fossil fuels is wrong, using green energy is right.
Original post by Futility
Not really similar circumstances at all; Tommy Robinson and the EDL had planned to march past a mosque at a time when tensions were already high due to the murder of Lee Rigby. This was obviously highly likely to lead to violent clashes and the arrest was for his own protection more than anything.
Environmental protests often do get violent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Exhaustive studies and the best available current science has confirmed that variations in solar radiation are too small to account for the warming of the last 100 years. This is well known to science, but not apparently to the propagandists for the oil industry and their paid-for dupes like Delingpole and Lawson, whom you have apparently been reading.

There are bound to be oscillations but the overall trend is still there, which is why the Arctic ice is retreating to nil over successive summers and glaciers around the world continue to be in retreat.
I don't think Delingpole and Lawson are conspirators on the pay-roll of industry. Pretty sure they're both just nuts. Their themes are consistent and the only major flaws they have are that their conviction and influence are both vastly disproportional to their knowledge and expertise.
(edited 10 years ago)

Not quite true there my dear. The simple answer is nobody knows. Even the IPCC have admitted that. It's believed to be playing a bigger part than was originally thought...... After all, we need to explain why we haven't warmed up anywhere near as much as predicted.

This is the problem we have. Normally in science, scientists investigate, come up with a conclusion and we all learn from that. It may be right or it may be wrong. But the key is there is open discussion.

What we have at the moment is assumptions being made with anybody who questions those assumptions being labelled a heretic. We've seen similar politicisation of science before throughout history. But the truth always comes out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending