The Student Room Group

Can never find a good pair of tights, can anyone help?

Every pair of tights of tights I've had have never been comfortable. They always end up falling down, so to combat this I wear an extra pair of pants on top - but that feels a bit weird too.

Because of this I wear black leggings instead - the only problem is I can't wear flats with them because you see the where the legging ends and my socks start and it looks terrible!

Does anyone have any good advice about good pairs of tights? Like what dernier do you buy and all that? Any help is appreciated! :tongue:
Reply 1
M&S do a great range. They do ones with added support which help them stay up! For black tights I have a range of denier depending on the outfit. Would recommended M&S though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank God it's not just me that has a problem with tights falling down! At school I was always having to yank them back up :grumble: I found that if you pull them up tight and then fold over the top bit down to your hip bones it helps them to stay up. :dontknow:

I like 100 dernier.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I buy the 80 denier tights from Topshop. I buy them in a medium (and I'm 5'5, size 8-10). Although eventually, the elastic will become loose and I'll have to throw 'em out. But that's after a couple of years and putting them in the washing machine instead of hand washing them.
I used to only buy 100/120 denier but found they were just a bit too thick and made my legs look bigger than what they actually are!
Reply 4
Original post by PotterLaw
M&S do a great range. They do ones with added support which help them stay up! For black tights I have a range of denier depending on the outfit. Would recommended M&S though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thanks :smile: I'm just looking for everyday black tights that I can wear that are of a decent thickness that doesn't show the skin underneath at all - what dernier number would you go for?
Reply 5
Original post by Maid Marian
Thank God it's not just me that has a problem with tights falling down! At school I was always having to yank them back up :grumble: I found that if you pull them up tight and then fold over the top bit down to your hip bones it helps them to stay up. :dontknow:

I like 100 dernier.

Oh god, I remember in my last year of school I decided to wear skirts and was always pulling up my tights - its so annoying and it makes you paranoid. :tongue:

That hip bone thing sounds a bit strange but I'll try it out, thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mericcup
Awesome, thanks :smile: I'm just looking for everyday black tights that I can wear that are of a decent thickness that doesn't show the skin underneath at all - what dernier number would you go for?

Sometimes 70 is ok - depends on the brand. But probably 80-100 to be safe!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by mythtakes
I buy the 80 denier tights from Topshop. I buy them in a medium (and I'm 5'5, size 8-10). Although eventually, the elastic will become loose and I'll have to throw 'em out. But that's after a couple of years and putting them in the washing machine instead of hand washing them.
I used to only buy 100/120 denier but found they were just a bit too thick and made my legs look bigger than what they actually are!

I'm just about 5'6 and an size 8/10 too, and I think the tights I have bought in the past have always been a medium - have you ever had a problem with them falling down at all?
Reply 8
I'm just about 5'6 and an size 8/10 too, and I think the tights I have bought in the past have always been a medium - have you ever had a problem with them falling down at all?

Nope, they've always been fine. They're £6 a pair which is a bit pricey for tights, but I think it's worth it because cheaper pairs (ones from Primark especially) either fall down or ladder really quickly. The only time they do fall down is when they're old and past it - when the elastic goes, there's not much you can do!
Reply 9

Topshop ones are the best I've found (and I wear tights pretty much daily), Boots are pretty good too considering they're cheaper. Have you tried a size small? I'm the same height/size as you, I've always worn smalls though and never had a problem with the top falling down (just the material gathering a little around my ankles, which is easier to fix I guess!)
Reply 10
Every pair of tights of tights I've had have never been comfortable. They always end up falling down, so to combat this I wear an extra pair of pants on top - but that feels a bit weird too.
Because of this I wear black leggings instead - the only problem is I can't wear flats with them because you see the where the legging ends and my socks start and it looks terrible!

Does anyone have any good advice about good pairs of tights? Like what dernier do you buy and all that? Any help is appreciated! :tongue:

That was my hate with tights too! Tried hold-ups but they didn't actually "hold up". :frown:

For the past 3 years been very happy wearing a suspender belt and stockings - once on they stay put and stay up - no more hitching up or saggy gussets! :smile: Perhaps give up on the tights and try these instead...
Reply 11

Just to go back to the leggings, you could try wearing them with those cute little sort of just covering your toe socks, I'm not quite sure what they're called but these: http://www.sockshop.co.uk/by_type/tights-legwear/shoeliners/
That way you can wear flats with leggings without looking silly :smile:

As for tights, I always buy 40+ dernier ones and as long as you make sure you get the right size you should be ok, they tend to be better at staying up than thinner ones.
If I could wear stockings all the time I would, but I like wearing tights with shorts. Primark ones are a weird material and collect all kinds of fluff on them, Tesco ones are itchy and stiff. I can't win. I don't like thick tights, but I've never actually found a pair I've liked or hasn't laddered within a few washes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
For cheap but better than Primark tights, try Superdrug or Boots.
Reply 14
Tesco 60 denier tights. They don't fall down and they're neither too thin nor too thick :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest