The Student Room Group

University choices for English, pls help!

Hello, I am currently in the process of deciding what unis I want to apply to and here are my options;

York, Durham, Kings, UCL, Warwick and Exeter.
My AS grades were AAAA, predicted A*A*A*.

Can anyone recommend a uni, or can anyone tell me which is better, York or Durham?

Any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
york.
Reply 2
Original post by smd4std
york.

Care to explain?
Reply 3
Just graduated from UCL - had a fantastic time. Great course if you want to English language as well as literature (though it's a literature heavy course I got to do a few language modules and will carry on doing these in my masters).

I'm sticking around next year in the same department for my MA. Let me know if you want more info.
Reply 4
Original post by ohmars
Hello, I am currently in the process of deciding what unis I want to apply to and here are my options;

York, Durham, Kings, UCL, Warwick and Exeter.
My AS grades were AAAA, predicted A*A*A*.

Can anyone recommend a uni, or can anyone tell me which is better, York or Durham?

Any help is appreciated :smile:

I'd say York (although I may be biased cos Durham rejected me :P) On a serious note though, it depends on whether you prefer to focus on 'English' literature (Durham) or world literature (York). Also bear in mind York has a compulsory foreign literature module which may be a good or bad thing depending on your views on/skills in languages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Kimiechi
I'd say York (although I may be biased cos Durham rejected me :P) On a serious note though, it depends on whether you prefer to focus on 'English' literature (Durham) or world literature (York). Also bear in mind York has a compulsory foreign literature module which may be a good or bad thing depending on your views on/skills in languages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly why I don't want to apply to Durham. At GCSE I got 11 A's, but no A*'s, and I feel like they will reject me straight away because of that. York is lovely also, Durham is lovely too. I just can't decide whether I should take a risk with Durham or apply to York where I have a slightly larger chance of getting in!
Reply 6
Original post by ohmars
This is exactly why I don't want to apply to Durham. At GCSE I got 11 A's, but no A*'s, and I feel like they will reject me straight away because of that. York is lovely also, Durham is lovely too. I just can't decide whether I should take a risk with Durham or apply to York where I have a slightly larger chance of getting in!

The most important thing is where YOU want to go. If you go for Durham, make sure you would definitely be happy at one of your other four choices, and don't get your heart set on it (the same advice applies to every uni really, not just Durham).From my experience Durham place a massive influence on the personal statement, but I have heard they have a reputation for being picky over GCSE's too - although provided you have an amazing personal statement and great A level predictions I doubt it will be the be all and end all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Honestly don't worry about GCSEs, I got A*AAAABBBBCC at GCSE and I'm studying English and Education at Durham. Of course it varies from person to person and this is just my experience, but I feel like people worry about GCSEs way more than they need to. Make sure you have good, valuable achievements to put on your personal statement and you will definitely stand a good chance.
You need to look closely at the courses on offer at each Uni - no two English courses will be exactly the same. Do not choose on 'University' alone and do not get obsessed with 'reputation'. Read the descriptions of all of the optional units in all of the three years of each course. Which units would you choose - and why? Does either course have any extras attached like a work placement or a Year Abroad - both are regarded favourably by potential employers. Go to some Open Days - nothing else will tell you which Uni you will feel the most comfortable at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending