The Student Room Group

will my chosen a levels be too difficult?

i have chosen criminology, sociology and english lit
recently i have been worried about them being too stressful and i've been contemplating whether or not to change one but nothing else interests me (i originally wanted to do psych but i couldn't because of my maths grade)
i also want to do an epq but again i am worried that it's going to be too stressful
atm the essay subjects i do at gcse aren't too bad, i'm getting pretty good grades
pls help!!!
Reply 1
Original post by rafaelaaacortez
recently i have been worried about them being too stressful and i've been contemplating whether or not to change one but nothing else interests me (i originally wanted to do psych but i couldn't because of my maths grade)
i also want to do an epq but again i am worried that it's going to be too stressful
atm the essay subjects i do at gcse aren't too bad, i'm getting pretty good grades
pls help!!!

Hey I currently do all essay based subjects like you are planning to do (combined English,sociology and philosophy) and personally I haven’t found it too stressful mainly because I am interested in them and I am also planning to do an epq.Its sometimes stressful but you just need to try and keep up with things hope this helped :smile:
Original post by Froggy__16
Hey I currently do all essay based subjects like you are planning to do (combined English,sociology and philosophy) and personally I haven’t found it too stressful mainly because I am interested in them and I am also planning to do an epq.Its sometimes stressful but you just need to try and keep up with things hope this helped :smile:

yes i think reading this helped remove most of the stress and worries about my choices, thank you so much!!
Reply 3
yes i think reading this helped remove most of the stress and worries about my choices, thank you so much!!

It definitely helps if you are genuinely interested in them subjects and are not just taking it for the sake of it
Reply 4
pls help!!!

i don't know about your school but at mine it's really easy to drop the epq so you could always choose it and then drop it later if it turns out to be too much! it's actually quite fun to just have a project to work on for fun especially if you enjoy essays and research
Original post by Froggy__16

It definitely helps if you are genuinely interested in them subjects and are not just taking it for the sake of it

yess I’m really excited to take them, especially eng lit
Original post by emmab0488
pls help!!!

i don't know about your school but at mine it's really easy to drop the epq so you could always choose it and then drop it later if it turns out to be too much! it's actually quite fun to just have a project to work on for fun especially if you enjoy essays and research

i do love doing some research icl!!
Reply 7

i do love doing some research icl!!
then you should be fine with epq!! and probably your subjects as well 🙂 i think you'll be a lot more stressed doing subjects that you're not interested in than just picking what you like as the more interested you are, the more motivated you'll be to study etc.
Reply 8
pls help!!!

English Lit is really fun and I do an EPQ as well 🙂 I don’t think it’s too difficult to manage time since you have quite a lot of time to manage reading for English Lit, and the EPQ is done slowly over a year. The structure of essays is the main things students struggle with when doing A-level English Lit, and this is pretty easy to get a hang of after a while.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by waffelton
English Lit is really fun and I do an EPQ as well 🙂 I don’t think it’s too difficult to manage time since you have quite a lot of time to manage reading for English Lit, and the EPQ is done slowly over a year. The structure of essays is the main things students struggle with when doing A-level English Lit, and this is pretty easy to get a hang of after a while.

i think the main reason i'm being so hesitant is that usually when people talk about their experience it's sounds very quick haha but thank you!
i think the main reason i'm being so hesitant is that usually when people talk about their experience it's sounds very quick haha but thank you!
I mean it depends on your school, but I was given ~5 months to write the essay and a further month to plan the presentation and finish the log/evaluation
Original post by waffelton
I mean it depends on your school, but I was given ~5 months to write the essay and a further month to plan the presentation and finish the log/evaluation

that’s good! honestly i’m not exactly sure what the school i’m going to does for epq so 😭😭 hopefully they’re nice about it tho

Quick Reply

Latest