The Student Room Group

Im 15 and want to be a female commercial pilot

I was just wondering how can i become a pilot.I just wanted a list of necessities to become a pilot like qualifications,grades,medical history ect.
Please don't say anything to do with my gender(there are a few people who are still living in the 1700s)
Im currently doing my GCSES

Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Religious Studies
Citizenship
Spanish
History
Reply 1
Original post by lauraxox
I was just wondering how can i become a pilot.I just wanted a list of necessities to become a pilot like qualifications,grades,medical history ect.
Please don't say anything to do with my gender(there are a few people who are still living in the 1700s)

Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Religious Studies
Citizenship
Spanish
History

You can try, but I've never seen a female commercial pilot so It might be hard for you. You need to be good at maths and physics, if you wish to aeronautics, however you can also do a private piloting licence or join the army, though being a girl it might be hard to pass the army's entry requirements.

Good luck and I hope you can make it as a commercial pilot regardless of your gender.
Reply 2
Original post by IsaacBless
You can try, but I've never seen a female commercial pilot so It might be hard for you. You need to be good at maths and physics, if you wish to aeronautics, however you can also do a private piloting licence or join the army, though being a girl it might be hard to pass the army's entry requirements.

Good luck and I hope you can make it as a commercial pilot regardless of your gender.

thank you, i hope so:smile:
Reply 3
Money. Lots of it.
Reply 4
thank you, i hope so:smile:

Its ok, you need to be good at maths and physics, I don't know many girls who are, so I'm sorry about your gender limitations, but hopefully you can work really hard and still make it anyways.
Reply 5
Whether you've got a dong or not shouldn't influence you're career choice love!
Reply 6
Ignore IsaacBless's post above.

Commercial aviation is one of the most difficult and challenging careers to enter into. It requires a significantly higher level of dedication than any other career I can name including law and medicine. However, if you get into it you're setting yourself up for one of the highest paid and well respected jobs on the planet.
Big emphasis on if you get into it though.

To begin with you will need at the very minimum an ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot License). Restrictions for applying are listed here. On top of this is the cost for the training for the ATPL itself which, last time I checked, was around £60k-£100k - a price I imagine you are already aware even some of the most well-off people in the country would be completely unable to pay for. Alongside this you will need to make sure that you are completely medically fit to fly by the rules of the CAA class one medical.

In terms of education, you will need a minimum of 5 GCSEs and 2 A-Levels according to most sources, although I imagine it matters somewhat less if you've gained the ATPL. Maths and Physics A-Levels are highly recommended. If you're really serious about becoming a pilot, getting a degree is more of a hindrance than it is useful, but there are certainly paths there if you do intend to complete a degree first.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
The most important qualification will be the pilot's licence. This takes stacks of money.

You will need to be fluent in English and, depending on which airline you go for, may need 5 GCSEs A*-C + 3 A-levels (BBC or higher). Or, produce a 2:2 degree or higher. Other airlines have lower requirements, so this would be the "worst case" scenario.

You will need to go and get a medical exam taken. The CAA website will have all the information relating to that. You will need a Class 1 medical to fly commercial passengers.

You could start learning to fly now, but it is expensive and isn't suitable for many people until they are in a full time job. You should look at joining the Air Cadets as this will give you flying experience and other useful skills. It would also be very important to get a solid education while you can (such as solid A-levels, or even a degree). If you lose your job, or fail a medical exam and can never fly again (it might happen in 5 years or 25!) then you need to have a backup plan.

Check out the British Airways future pilot scheme. It is closed at the moment, but should run for a few more years. It will give you a lot of useful information (such as the flying schools they support) and you can read up on your own.

Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Religious Studies
Citizenship
Spanish
History

I hope you make it, nice to meet you by the way! :smile:
Have you considered the RAF? If you go through the RAF you will come away with everything on your licence except ATPL and there are courses out there specifically aimed at ex-military pilots looking to go commercial. Most importantly you'll come away with a ton of hours under your belt; that's what most newly qualified commercial pilots lack and what stops them from ultimately landing a job. You'd come away debt free and having been paid to fly instead of being £100k+ in debt having had to pay for it all.
RAF might be an idea - it'll get you experience and they can help you go commercial after.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.
Reply 11
The RAF is NOT a good idea unless you actually want to be a Military Pilot, which the OP does not. There are numerous other threads where I have listed the reasons for this, and if you're lucky I might copy-paste in a little while :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Chrisispringles
Have you considered the RAF? If you go through the RAF you will come away with everything on your licence except ATPL and there are courses out there specifically aimed at ex-military pilots looking to go commercial. Most importantly you'll come away with a ton of hours under your belt; that's what most newly qualified commercial pilots lack and what stops them from ultimately landing a job. You'd come away debt free and having been paid to fly instead of being £100k+ in debt having had to pay for it all.

The RAF, contrary to the popular view, is not a particularly good way to get into civil aviation. About the only similarity between civil pilots and military pilots is their ability to act under pressure.
Reply 13
Is there an echo in here?

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending