The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by georgiaemily7
Do we need to know the lysogenic and lytic pathways? My teacher and specification has confused me. Thank you :smile:

No just follow the specification

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgiaemily7
Do we need to know the lysogenic and lytic pathways? My teacher and specification has confused me. Thank you :smile:

The lytic pathway is where viruses insert their (reverse transcribed) DNA into the host cell's genome and the viruses will bud out of that one cell and automatically cause cell lysis as a result.

The lysogenic pathway is where you end up with integrase inserting viral DNA into the host cell's genome, but the cell will divide by mitosis and undergo DNA replication up to the cell's Hayflick limit to create more cells so that the budding process is more efficient and the virus does not have to infect so many cells to proliferate and there is less risk of a T killer cell activating extrinsic apoptosis (which leads to cell lysis) to prevent budding of new viruses.

Although it is not directly on the specification, mention of "lytic" (and/or an explanation of it) on an HIV 4-6 mark question often gains a point.
(Also, if you can explain it properly, even if it is not on the mark scheme, it will impress the examiner, so they are more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt with other mark points on that question if you have not expressed them clearly).
What AS topics do you need to know? So far I've revised proteins and most of Topic 4 from unit 2. Is there any thing else that I've missed out on? :smile:
Original post by billyfisher100
The lytic pathway is where viruses insert their (reverse transcribed) DNA into the host cell's genome and the viruses will bud out of that one cell and automatically cause cell lysis as a result.

The lysogenic pathway is where you end up with integrase inserting viral DNA into the host cell's genome, but the cell will divide by mitosis and undergo DNA replication up to the cell's Hayflick limit to create more cells so that the budding process is more efficient and the virus does not have to infect so many cells to proliferate and there is less risk of a T killer cell activating extrinsic apoptosis (which leads to cell lysis) to prevent budding of new viruses.

Although it is not directly on the specification, mention of "lytic" (and/or an explanation of it) on an HIV 4-6 mark question often gains a point.
(Also, if you can explain it properly, even if it is not on the mark scheme, it will impress the examiner, so they are more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt with other mark points on that question if you have not expressed them clearly).

Woah... Thanks for the information! :yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got some questions...

What is the difference between sense and antisense? Like which one's which? I get confused.

And what's the difference between lysosome and lysozyme?

:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liomeeringca
I've got some questions...

What is the difference between sense and antisense? Like which one's which? I get confused.

And what's the difference between lysosome and lysozyme?

:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The antisense strand is the one that forms the template for the mRNA.

And lysozyme is the enzyme; lysosome is the organelle within a cell, containing the enzyme.
Original post by Peanut83
The antisense strand is the one that forms the template for the mRNA.

And lysozyme is the enzyme; lysosome is the organelle within a cell, containing the enzyme.

Thanks, so do lysosomes release lysozymes? Cause that's what it said on the mark scheme of the paper I just did,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhhhh, I'm like seriously freaking out about this paper now... I need a B! Anyone else feel like this? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388
Ahhhhh, I'm like seriously freaking out about this paper now... I need a B! Anyone else feel like this? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, although I calculated that I need 2 C's for an A, so obviously I could lay back but i'm not just follow the specification and the assassin's notes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
Original post by diggy
Yes, although I calculated that I need 2 C's for an A, so obviously I could lay back but i'm not just follow the specification and the assassin's notes

Posted from TSR Mobile

really, u only need two C's to an A what u got in others(if u dont mind me asking)?
Im holding 2 Bs for courseworks and 2 C's atm, how likely do u think it is to get an A overall if get 2 As in two other units ?
Thanks, so do lysosomes release lysozymes? Cause that's what it said on the mark scheme of the paper I just did,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so, but not sure about the context. During phagocytosis the lysosome fuses with the vacuole containing a pathogen; then the lysozymes digest the pathogen.

I am totally panicking about this exam as well. I am doing the A level in a year, so I only did the AS exams last week and the week before. The level of precision, knowledge and everything else is so much harder for A2 so I'm really nervous about it.
Reply 391
can anyone explain the structures in chloroplasts involved LD and LI reactions plss?

thanks
Original post by diggy

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a nice situation haha, and yeah I have/am, The Assassin is a literal hero in my eyes :mmm::five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think so, but not sure about the context. During phagocytosis the lysosome fuses with the vacuole containing a pathogen; then the lysozymes digest the pathogen.

I am totally panicking about this exam as well. I am doing the A level in a year, so I only did the AS exams last week and the week before. The level of precision, knowledge and everything else is so much harder for A2 so I'm really nervous about it.

Yeah sorry, should have said it was about phagocytosis, thank you for your help! :smile:

Dang, I'm really bad at biology so I'd find that 'doing it in a year' difficult D: You'll be fine I'm sure, your level if knowledge is high and just remember to keep a clear head :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing that for Chemistry. Just had my exams (OCR) and both were entirely different from the past papers.

Did you notice any difference in the AS Bio exam? I'm praying Edexcel doesn't do this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395
Original post by tazk786
Could someone explain forensic entomology to me? Thats the part i always lose marks on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm not sure if this is what u want to know...
presence of insects allow forensics entomologists to make an estimate of how much time has elapsed since death. They take samples of insects around the body and take measurements of temp of surroundings, body and insect's mass. To identify, they look at characteristic features/use a dichtomous key. using their life cycles they identify the life cycle stage of development so their age can be determined.
If stage is not clear they are taken to lab and allow them to mature

Usually this method itself lacks validity since time of egg laying can give under estimate also toxins in body may affect the results. So together with this, the drop in body temp(which follows a sigmoid curve only useful for 24hours)/state of decomposition(body decomposes in gradual process)/rigor mortis(stiffening of muscles and joints) are used.

Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by Laurasurreal
I'm doing that for Chemistry. Just had my exams (OCR) and both were entirely different from the past papers.

Did you notice any difference in the AS Bio exam? I'm praying Edexcel doesn't do this...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you with ocr salters for chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chemistrymaths
Are you with ocr salters for chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No the other one but I do think all the exam boards are changing their exam format to make it more difficult to get the higher grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laurasurreal
No the other one but I do think all the exam boards are changing their exam format to make it more difficult to get the higher grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh by the looks of it :frown: wort chemistry exam I have ever seen

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think (and hope) this unit will be easier than Unit 5 - the grade boundaries are consistently low for Unit 4 (usually 60 or 63 for an A*).

Latest

Trending

Trending