The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi there, try Studystack. Loads of flipcards, I use it on my phone when waiting for the bus.... (sad)
Original post by diggy
I'm shocked that this thread has been created, but seeing as this is the world of TSR I can believe it.

I've started going through the specification, it means I have more time to revise. I'm still surprised that I was, able to learn everything for the exams in a week, but I don't want a repeat of that this year.

Apart from going through the spec and past papers, are their any websites that have quizzes for Biology (specifically Edexcel A2)
Reply 61
Original post by Rubyturner94
hi can someone exllain this to me please, it says ''the same STRs occure at the sam place on both chromosomes of a homologous pair, however the number of times they are repeated on each of the homologous chromosomes can be differwnt''
but if they are in the same possition, doesnt that mean that they occur the sam number of time? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, well the STR might be something like AGGGGGCA and that sequence might be repeated say ten times on the one chromosome and like fifty times on the other chromosome. And the two chromosomes are homologues which means one from dad and one from mum. Hope that helps, took me ages to figure it out. Explaining it to someone else kind of sorted it my mind. :redface:
Original post by CoolRunner
I'm halfway through my coursework and we finished unit 4 :smile:

How did you manage to make your conclusion/interpretation of results different from your research at the beginning of the coursework?
I don't want to repeat myself too much. Mine is on photosynthesis, so I do have A2 level biology to explain my results but it will be very similar to my research.

Aaah
Reply 63
Q: Why only a proportion of organic material, formed using carbon dioxide, will become plant tissue?

A:
reference to respiration (of some of the organic material)
idea that energy is required
for synthesis of molecules

can someone please help me to rephrase the answer so that it makes sense? does it mean that
some organic material is used in respiration?
and energy that is required, is not available for synthesis of molecules?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by an100
Q: Why a proportion of organic material, formed using carbon dioxide, will become plant tissue?

A:
reference to respiration (of some of the organic material)
idea that energy is required
for synthesis of molecules

can someone please help me to rephrase the answer so that it makes sense? does it mean that
some organic material is used in respiration?
and energy that is required, is not available for synthesis of molecules?

I think its more:

Organic materials are used in respiration, and energy is used to make the products though I don't get how its related to the question
Reply 65
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I think its more:

Organic materials are used in respiration, and energy is used to make the products though I don't get how its related to the question

oh thanks.. I think yours make more sense.. sorry the question actually said 'why only a proportion of...'
Original post by an100
oh thanks.. I think yours make more sense.. sorry the question actually said 'why only a proportion of...'

Oh okay, that makes much more sense
lol where is eveybody gone?
Does anybody have any unit 6 examples?
bio 4 notes?
im really lost just started revising. i need all the help i can get :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by aimperfection
lol where is eveybody gone?
Does anybody have any unit 6 examples?
bio 4 notes?
im really lost just started revising. i need all the help i can get :dontknow:

Examples should be on edexcel website

Haven't found bio 4 notes that were helpful really

Due to feeling inadequate compared to some guy on this thread I've recently completed my unit 4 notes gonna start revising on Saturday probably for my January mocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
@diggy is it possible if you can send me your notes because i have just started this weekend, due to family issues i wasn't able to start early. i am very low on confidence from failing biology last year helpfully my resit will make it better.

also is there any technique/method for revision, for exam technique/skills?
Original post by The Assassin
Basically finished Unit 4, I'm in the process of doing some notes :P

Hello mate, how are the notes coming along? :biggrin:
Can you help me because failing last year am resting as an external candidate and stuck with revision technique/ method and exam technique/method?
:banghead:
just started this weekend due to family issues.
Almost finished with unit 4, just got the immunity stuff to finish then we shall be done
Reply 72
We just finished Unit 4 so for the December exams we're doing a whole unit 4 paper as a mock :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
hey!

how is everyone planning on revising this? im not sure whether to go through the past papers now before we start unit 5 or wait till march/april time :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Sorry guys, been so busy with other things and work that I haven't had time to finish them. It's going well though and should be finished by next week!!
Reply 75
Has anyone started their coursework? struggling with coming up with a title.
Reply 76
Original post by SyedaK
Has anyone started their coursework? struggling with coming up with a title.

I have :smile: I've done all the practical parts, I now just need to analyse my results and write it all up. I'm doing mine based on caffeine in teas. It's very chemistry-based but my teachers said it was okay for me to do because they were happy that there were enough biological links to it. :smile: plus I really, REALLY dislike ecology and I'd much rather be in a lab!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by hen4r
I have :smile: I've done all the practical parts, I now just need to analyse my results and write it all up. I'm doing mine based on caffeine in teas. It's very chemistry-based but my teachers said it was okay for me to do because they were happy that there were enough biological links to it. :smile: plus I really, REALLY dislike ecology and I'd much rather be in a lab!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally don't like ecology either. Caffeine content is a nice and simple one. I want to do something with temperature. I would've done something with the brain but hate synapses and neurons.
I seriously want to do something with kittens but I don't even think that's allowed. Sounds silly now that i think about it.
can someone help me on this, jm so confused,
i understand that niche is the role of the organism in the environment, but in the book it says species survive in a habitat because they have adaptations that enable them to cope with the biotic and abiotic conditions in thier niche. i dont understand this, how is the abiotic and biotic conditions in their niche?
and then it says how does niches effect disribution and abundance of organisms.
im so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Rubyturner94
can someone help me on this, jm so confused,
i understand that niche is the role of the organism in the environment, but in the book it says species survive in a habitat because they have adaptations that enable them to cope with the biotic and abiotic conditions in thier niche. i dont understand this, how is the abiotic and biotic conditions in their niche?
and then it says how does niches effect disribution and abundance of organisms.
im so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Basically I think that its saying they have adaptations which enable them to carry out their 'specific role within the habitat'. The abiotic and biotic conditions are present within the habitat and they affect the actual niche which an organism has?

Otherwise, no idea sorry :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending