The Student Room Group

Can An Engineer answer these questions?

One of my questions on homework asks me to interview an engineer these list of questions. You don't have to be very detailed if you don't want to. I just need to put something there. If you answer it, please answer all the questions as I will be using your responses on my homework. I will include your name or user name that it was you I interviewed.

Interview a practicing engineer. Find out answers to the following questions:
a. What engineering discipline did he or she graduate in?
b. To what extent do the knowledge and principles of that discipline apply in his or her current job?
c. What industry sector does he or she work in?
d. What percentage of his or her time is spent in the various engineering job functions(design, test, development, management, etc.)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
How is it possibly that only 1 person as looked at this thread in the 20min i've posted this. My gosh, that is a record.
Reply 2
Original post by Ju-Yee
How is it possibly that only 1 person as looked at this thread in the 20min i've posted this. My gosh, that is a record.

You've assumed people who have jobs are looking at this post at 9am..
Reply 3
Original post by djpailo
You've assumed people who have jobs are looking at this post at 9am..

and your assuming a give a bloody tea party about time. I posted this question early so that it may be answered sometime anytime through out the day. And it wasn't 9 when I posted this. Well, it wasn't in my country. I didn't know this was a UK website.
Reply 4
no need to be rude. You still need these answers? you didn't give a deadline.

Electronic Engineering
b. To what extent do the knowledge and principles of that discipline apply in his or her current job?
Specifics - not very much -most of them are out of date, especially in electronics industry which moves so fast. Fundamentals are important and applicable, and learning how to teach yourself new subjects.
Marine
d. What percentage of his or her time is spent in the various engineering job functions(design, test, development, management, etc.)?
My first job - management - 95%, development - 5%
2nd job - development -50% management 50%
3rd job - design 25%, test 25%, development 25% management 25%
curent job - management - 80% development - 10% design - 10%

Hope this helps.

Stu Haynes MEng
Reply 5
Bloody 'ell.
- Make a post asking for help.
- Moan you dont get it instantly.
- Flame anyone else who comes near.

Nice!

As for it being a UK based forum, the clue to my mind, is in the url.

Not really sure why i'm answering this,I must be too nice, but in case its any use.

Mechanical Engineering (masters)
Heavily, along with life experience I use my education heavily every day, even if in many cases more the overall knowledge and method of application than any specific calculation or formula.
Manufacture of Construction and Agricultural machinery.
Previously as a graduate by normal day-job is about 70% Design and development of design, combined with co-coordinating and supervising test and development, prototype builds, and manufacturing introduction, as well as site/supplier visits and managing myself my development as a new starter etc.
More recently I have been seconded to support the engineering of spin-off project at one of our overseas factories for their domestic market, which has swung it round to about 70% Management, with most of the rest on Design. But its still engineering management, on the ground, supervising designers, making decisions, integrating the design/engineering with the other project functions, rather than top level.
I enjoy it all, anything that's a challenge is interesting, the main issue I have at the moment is leaving the office early enough to get enough sleep to do it all the following day, without dropping out on my other commitments.

Daniel
Original post by Ju-Yee
and your assuming a give a bloody tea party about time. I posted this question early so that it may be answered sometime anytime through out the day. And it wasn't 9 when I posted this. Well, it wasn't in my country. I didn't know this was a UK website.

(Posted in English on thestudentroom.co.uk)
Reply 7
Original post by dhutch
Bloody 'ell.
- Make a post asking for help.
- Moan you dont get it instantly.
- Flame anyone else who comes near.

Nice!

As for it being a UK based forum, the clue to my mind, is in the url.

Not really sure why i'm answering this,I must be too nice, but in case its any use.

Mechanical Engineering (masters)
Heavily, along with life experience I use my education heavily every day, even if in many cases more the overall knowledge and method of application than any specific calculation or formula.
Manufacture of Construction and Agricultural machinery.
Previously as a graduate by normal day-job is about 70% Design and development of design, combined with co-coordinating and supervising test and development, prototype builds, and manufacturing introduction, as well as site/supplier visits and managing myself my development as a new starter etc.
More recently I have been seconded to support the engineering of spin-off project at one of our overseas factories for their domestic market, which has swung it round to about 70% Management, with most of the rest on Design. But its still engineering management, on the ground, supervising designers, making decisions, integrating the design/engineering with the other project functions, rather than top level.
I enjoy it all, anything that's a challenge is interesting, the main issue I have at the moment is leaving the office early enough to get enough sleep to do it all the following day, without dropping out on my other commitments.

Daniel

Thanks for answering my question, now I'll answer yours. You ask why your answering, will its not cause your nice. It's cause your only trying to prove that your not a complete troll.

first off

You literally felt the need to state I came on here asking for help. Really? as I recall, this is a forum and I'm in a section where people asks questions cause they need some sort of help. That is such a smart thing to point out. You sure made me look like an idiot.

Then you claim I moan because I don't get it instantly? Did I really do that? Maybe you should use your engineering brain and think through my comments a little bit more instead of falsely interpreting what I post and again, trying to build your ego by making me look like an idiot. I haven't been on this website too long, but I've watched how fast new posts get views. It really was indeed a record that only one person was curious to click on my post within 20min. In fact, I almost considered not posting that, but I also did it because in 20 min, my post was already several post below and I didn't want it to just die because I still needed the answer. In honesty, I was trying to make a joke with that comment. I can see how someone could interpret it as somewhat demanding or even moaning in your case, but they would be trying quite to hard to victimize themselves and miss the humor in it. Apparently someone understood it as they actually gave me a like for that.

As well you say I flamed anyone else who came near. Hmm.... that's strange. From the beginning you interpret what i say as moaning and then flaming; yet you don't interpret what the other guy who had posted as in anyway rude or flaming. From my perspective, he had no reason to post unless he wanted answer the question or troll me. Or wait, maybe he was trying to make a funny joke. but if that was the case, it would mean he was trying to make a joke at me from the way he phrased which would mean he was trying to make me look like an idiot and I don't respond to people like that very nicely as you should now be able to tell. "Flame anyone else who comes near" umm.. more like "Flame anyone who comes near me with a flame thrower"

And by the way, I didn't find this website because I had the URL. I googled for ways to talk to engineers, and this website was one of the first few ones that popped up on my search.

Upon posting this question, I tried to make it seem as little demanding as it may have been because I know people don't like demanding question. The first guy that actually answered the question said I didn't give any deadlines. Although I was somewhat desperate for an answer when I posted, I did indeed refrained from putting a deadline because I felt if I did, it would be to demanding and no one would answer.

Anyways, thanks for all those who actually took the time to answer my question. I was not able to get the questions answered in time to finish the assignment, but I at least know the information personally and I guess that's all that really matters in the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by The Polymath
(Posted in English on thestudentroom.co.uk)

I don't know if my status shows that I am American, but I am, so it's no surprise that what i post will be in English. And as I posted in the other message towards the other guy, I didn't have the URL for this website. I stumbled across it searching through Google. Seeing as everything was in English, I didn't realize I had stumbled on a website from another country.
Reply 9
Original post by Ju-Yee
Thanks for answering my question, now I'll answer yours. You ask why your answering, will its not cause your nice. It's cause your only trying to prove that your not a complete troll.

first off

You literally felt the need to state I came on here asking for help. Really? as I recall, this is a forum and I'm in a section where people asks questions cause they need some sort of help. That is such a smart thing to point out. You sure made me look like an idiot.

Then you claim I moan because I don't get it instantly? Did I really do that? Maybe you should use your engineering brain and think through my comments a little bit more instead of falsely interpreting what I post and again, trying to build your ego by making me look like an idiot. I haven't been on this website too long, but I've watched how fast new posts get views. It really was indeed a record that only one person was curious to click on my post within 20min. In fact, I almost considered not posting that, but I also did it because in 20 min, my post was already several post below and I didn't want it to just die because I still needed the answer. In honesty, I was trying to make a joke with that comment. I can see how someone could interpret it as somewhat demanding or even moaning in your case, but they would be trying quite to hard to victimize themselves and miss the humor in it. Apparently someone understood it as they actually gave me a like for that.

As well you say I flamed anyone else who came near. Hmm.... that's strange. From the beginning you interpret what i say as moaning and then flaming; yet you don't interpret what the other guy who had posted as in anyway rude or flaming. From my perspective, he had no reason to post unless he wanted answer the question or troll me. Or wait, maybe he was trying to make a funny joke. but if that was the case, it would mean he was trying to make a joke at me from the way he phrased which would mean he was trying to make me look like an idiot and I don't respond to people like that very nicely as you should now be able to tell. "Flame anyone else who comes near" umm.. more like "Flame anyone who comes near me with a flame thrower"

And by the way, I didn't find this website because I had the URL. I googled for ways to talk to engineers, and this website was one of the first few ones that popped up on my search.

Upon posting this question, I tried to make it seem as little demanding as it may have been because I know people don't like demanding question. The first guy that actually answered the question said I didn't give any deadlines. Although I was somewhat desperate for an answer when I posted, I did indeed refrained from putting a deadline because I felt if I did, it would be to demanding and no one would answer.

Anyways, thanks for all those who actually took the time to answer my question. I was not able to get the questions answered in time to finish the assignment, but I at least know the information personally and I guess that's all that really matters in the end.

Pipe down..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was fully intending to post answers to your questions - I didn't think you'd been all that bad earlier on in the thread and I thought that other people had been quite mean to you when you didn't realise this was a British website and that it was 9 in the morning here when you posted. We Brits aren't generally a nasty bunch really (ok, there's 60 million of us, so massive generalisation (generalization)), just some of the ones who go on internet forums. Honest!

Original post by Ju-Yee
Thanks for answering my question, now I'll answer yours...

That was until I saw this, anyway. I am not normally the sort to do this but let me offer you some life advice:

Think very carefully about how you talk to people you are asking a favour (favor) of in future.

Get a sense of humour (humor) implant - ok, it's not like the people earlier in the thread were trying to be "funny", as such, but people (on the internet, and in life) will try and wind you up and you need to be able to laugh it off rather than getting caught up in an argument.

Get some hobbies. Did at no point whilst writing that did you think "actually, what the hell am I doing wasting half an hour of my time sitting here writing this"?

Reply 11
Original post by Ju-Yee

I tell you what, you cheeky git, how about next time you just do your own work and don't use a forum if you don't know how to. Nobend.

Daniel
Reply 12
Original post by thefish_uk
I was fully intending to post answers to your questions - I didn't think you'd been all that bad earlier on in the thread and I thought that other people had been quite mean to you when you didn't realise this was a British website and that it was 9 in the morning here when you posted. We Brits aren't generally a nasty bunch really (ok, there's 60 million of us, so massive generalisation (generalization)), just some of the ones who go on internet forums. Honest!

That was until I saw this, anyway. I am not normally the sort to do this but let me offer you some life advice:

Think very carefully about how you talk to people you are asking a favour (favor) of in future.

Get a sense of humour (humor) implant - ok, it's not like the people earlier in the thread were trying to be "funny", as such, but people (on the internet, and in life) will try and wind you up and you need to be able to laugh it off rather than getting caught up in an argument.

Get some hobbies. Did at no point whilst writing that did you think "actually, what the hell am I doing wasting half an hour of my time sitting here writing this"?

whatever makes you go to sleep at night.
Original post by Ju-Yee
whatever makes you go to sleep at night.

i suggest you stay away from engineering if you cannot deduce thatthe "uk" part in .co.uk stands for united kingdom
Reply 14
Original post by rickfloss
i suggest you stay away from engineering if you cannot deduce thatthe "uk" part in .co.uk stands for united kingdom

I'd suggest she stays away from everything as she appears to be a bit of a bitch.
why are u so angry with us
Reply 16
**** got real.

Quick Reply

Latest