The Student Room Group

£500m UK aid to syria

UK pledges £100m in aid for Syria

The UK is to give another £100m to Syria to help tackle the war-torn country's humanitarian crisis.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said the pledge - which takes the total from the government to £500m - showed the UK was "leading the charge" to help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24272340

Well done, congratulations! £500m chucked into the abyss and the tax payer won't reap a single benefit. But whatever right, its not borrowed money and we can afford it?

And this money couldn't have been used here to help our own disadvantaged? Ofcourse not
Reply 1
I suspect though, it will only go towards "helping" one side i.e the rebels. I doubt any of this money will go where it is truly needed - i.e supporting the widows of all dead Syrian service personnel, killed by the "peaceful protesters".
I hope "Aid" means money to take out those crazy islamic animals?
Reply 3
I have a feeling this conflict will turn into SAA and FSA vs the Mujahideen

The Muji's have already rejected the Syrian Coalition.
Nick Clegg is probably trying to compensate for the decision not to step into the Syria crisis, which I believe is the right decision, why should our troops lives be at risks when it isn't our war?
Also the trouble with AID money is that it is a 'TOP down' solution, which never really makes a sustainable difference on anything, and will probably be wasted rather than put to good use, rather than say, paying for doctors to help those who were victim to the chemical attacks.
I don't know much about politics of NR but I know that 'Bottom up' AID is the most sustainable form.
It needs to be given in a form which will help the civilians.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
the aid probably won't be sustainable, however it's better than nothing. but still better than going to war; it would cost billions if the uk went to war.
Reply 6
Original post by Bart1331
FSA and the Mujahideen are basically the same - "Agree with us or die" / Spent all their time trying to capture and murder military service personnel / film execution of anyone captured / claim to be freedom fighters.

I think the quickest way to bring peace to Syria is intervention on the side of Assad. If we took out the higher up rebel leaders, provided arms and other support to the Syrian military and waged an air campaign against any remnants on the ground, we could easily defeat the rebels. And it would be very low risk. I'm not saying there's no risk, the rebels do appear to have captured some air defence hardware from the military, but I say it's low risk because the air defence hardware in question is supposedly not that effective against a modern air force.

Theyre different, there have been loads of Firefights between the Muji's and the FSA
Reply 7
Original post by Apocrypha
Theyre different, there have been loads of Firefights between the Muji's and the FSA

In-fighting after tempers flaring up I would assume. They share the same goals and tactics i.e violent overthrow of government, execution of civilians, suicide bombing people.
Reply 8
Original post by Bart1331
I suspect though, it will only go towards "helping" one side i.e the rebels. I doubt any of this money will go where it is truly needed - i.e supporting the widows of all dead Syrian service personnel, killed by the "peaceful protesters".

Doubt it. "The £100m will go to agencies providing food, clean water and shelter to four million people displaced by fighting. Oxfam's chief executive Mark Goldring welcomed the extra funding, saying it would make a "real difference in getting basics such as food, water and medicine to many vulnerable Syrians".

I imagine a fair chunk of it will go to millions of refugees in camps in the surrounding nations around Syria. The Syrian military can get looked after by the Syrian government, it's civilians that get screwed over in all of this the worst.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
They wanna help send the ****ing Military in.
Bloody ridiculous. Can we not sort out our own issues first.
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Nick Clegg is probably trying to compensate for the decision not to step into the Syria crisis, which I believe is the right decision, why should our troops lives be at risks when it isn't our war?
Also the trouble with AID money is that it is a 'TOP down' solution, which never really makes a sustainable difference on anything, and will probably be wasted rather than put to good use, rather than say, paying for doctors to help those who were victim to the chemical attacks.
I don't know much about politics of NR but I know that 'Bottom up' AID is the most sustainable form.
It needs to be given in a form which will help the civilians.

Chances are, most of the 'aid' will be syphoned off by 'bureaucrats', similar to what happens in South Asian countries.

Original post by uktotalgamer
Bloody ridiculous. Can we not sort out our own issues first.

One would think that 'charity begins at home' would apply here, but apparently it doesn't matter when it comes to spending millions of pounds from the public purse.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thegodofgod
Chances are, most of the 'aid' will be syphoned off by 'bureaucrats', similar to what happens in South Asian countries.

One would think that 'charity begins at home' would apply here, but apparently it doesn't matter when it comes to spending millions of pounds from the public purse.

This

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending