The Student Room Group

applying to university in America

Hi guys I'm applying to Cornell and duke university from the uk (plus other unis). My gcses 877666654 a level predicted grades A*A*A in maths physics and biology I got an A* in my epq i got a 1600 in my SAT. Some of my extracurriculars include fully funded summer school at imperial college for science, navy cadets, deputy house captain, president of eco committee, head of charity in my boarding house, maths scholar in school, engineering + hospital work experience, dofe bronze and silver, 1000+ hours of volunteering at care home hospital and children church, writer and part for the editorial team for school's science magazine . I'm apply for early decision for duke I'm worried that my gcses are extremely low so what are the odds that i'll get in? Also I went to state school all the way up to year 11 i go private school for sixth form will I be less likely to receive any financial aid and scholarship?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys I'm applying to Cornell and duke university from the uk (plus other unis). My gcses 877666654 a level predicted grades A*A*A in maths physics and biology I got an A* in my epq i got a 1600 in my SAT. Some of my extracurriculars include fully funded summer school at imperial college for science, navy cadets, deputy house captain, president of eco committee, head of charity in my boarding house, maths scholar in school, engineering + hospital work experience, dofe bronze and silver, 1000+ hours of volunteering at care home hospital and children church, writer and part for the editorial team for school's science magazine . I'm apply for early decision for duke I'm worried that my gcses are extremely low so what are the odds that i'll get in? Also I went to state school all the way up to year 11 i go private school for sixth form will I be less likely to receive any financial aid and scholarship?

Hi, did you apply yourself or with help from the Sutton trust?
Dukes admissions policy is need blind so the school you attended will not impact ability to receive financial aide if there is a need for it. I am unsure about scholarships, you will need to look into what scholarships you qualify for. I don’t know what the A level grades mean but a 1600 is an excellent SAT score and you have really impressive extracurriculars. I think you are absolutely qualified for these schools but that doesn’t necessarily mean you will get in. Admissions are extremely competitive and there are thousands of applicants with great grades. Because of this what really sets your application apart is the extracurriculars. I wouldn’t worry about your grades as long it is around the average of other students who are accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending