The Student Room Group

Got a 59.4% overall in my 2nd year

Today I received my 2nd year grades and overall, I received 59.4%. This is a 2:2 and I need a 2:1 to get onto the postgraduate course for which I received a conditional offer (the condition being that I receive a 2:1 or above overall). My 2nd year was worth 40% of my final grade and this year (my 3rd year) is worth the other 60% of my grade. What percentage do I need to get a 2:1 or above overall if a 2:1 is 60% and a 1:1 is 70%? Also will my mark from 2nd year affect my postgraduate offer? I didn't have this mark when I applied due to strikes
Reply 1
Hey there!

I was in a similar situation as you, but was luckily able to get a high first class in my final year. I used this calculator to list all of my grades and their weightings throughout my third year to track my progress.

Hope it helps!
Weighted Average Calculator (rapidtables.com)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Today I received my 2nd year grades and overall, I received 59.4%. This is a 2:2 and I need a 2:1 to get onto the postgraduate course for which I received a conditional offer (the condition being that I receive a 2:1 or above overall). My 2nd year was worth 40% of my final grade and this year (my 3rd year) is worth the other 60% of my grade. What percentage do I need to get a 2:1 or above overall if a 2:1 is 60% and a 1:1 is 70%? Also will my mark from 2nd year affect my postgraduate offer? I didn't have this mark when I applied due to strikes

Given that you only missed a 2:1 by a fraction, you only need to get a fraction over 60% in year 3 to scrape a 2:1 overall.

You'd need 60.4% in year 3 to get 60% overall.

Many universities seem to have ways of classifying degrees that don't just rely on a weighted average -- for example, some look at only the best 100 credits in each year; some have special rules that apply if you're within 1-2% of a grade boundary, etc. You'll need to check your university's rules to see how they come up with the final classification.
Original post by Anonymous
Today I received my 2nd year grades and overall, I received 59.4%. This is a 2:2 and I need a 2:1 to get onto the postgraduate course for which I received a conditional offer (the condition being that I receive a 2:1 or above overall). My 2nd year was worth 40% of my final grade and this year (my 3rd year) is worth the other 60% of my grade. What percentage do I need to get a 2:1 or above overall if a 2:1 is 60% and a 1:1 is 70%? Also will my mark from 2nd year affect my postgraduate offer? I didn't have this mark when I applied due to strikes

60.4 will do it.

Quick Reply

Latest