The Student Room Group

Quickest way to resit GCSE (mature adult - no courses)

I know this question has been asked many times but suprisingly there is little information on the matter.

Where can I go to pay some money and sit my GCSEs again. I'm 25 and I don't have time to sit on a lengthy 1 year course. I just want to sit the exams.

Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if it's all exam based, just register as an external candidate at a local school
Reply 2
You can enter as a private candidate at any centre that is willing to accept you. There is private candidate info on each examiners web site. That said, most gcse include controlled assessments that are only available in a very limited number of centres.
Eg edexcel here:
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/Pages/home.aspx#

Some people choose to take igcse instead as they are entirely exam base. They tend to be offered in independent schools and private colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm now in the same boat & looking to start with maths & English to see how i get on. I've done some research & decided to go with AQA, what I don't understand is the value of IGCSE compared to GCSE, will future employers or education establishments recognise them?
Original post by TurbofanRB211
what I don't understand is the value of IGCSE compared to GCSE, will future employers or education establishments recognise them?

Yes they will.
just accept that you've failed them. and if not then some colleges might be willing to offer you a chance to do some of the level 2 courses. I passed English language, English lit, science, *will hopefully pass maths*, food tech, and work skils. work skills is what I'm doing now and I don't think it's worth suffering for. I feel so embarrassed just looking at my certificates so I disposed of them. but listen yeh, don't give up. they keep saying to us aahhh you'll get an a or an a*, but in the end we get lower. we're just not that advanced. and most of these alevel people are showoffs, don't revise and claim they know everything there is to know already. they're happy but someone is still waiting for that one shot! so don't give up. you're lucky. I aint. I have one last shot before the government changes everything.
Reply 6
I agree with bebeisheretohelp, she knows what she is talking about. But because you are a mature adult its going to be really hard.
Necroing an old thread to say please, please, please DO NOT follow the advice from bebeisheretohelp. You don't have to accept any of your results and following on from from what is her/his seeming acceptance at failure, some people will have a C (old style) in Maths for example but need a B or a 6/7 (new style) for a degree they may be taking as a mature student. So sometimes it's not a case of failure, the uni just won't accept anything less than above average and you then need to bump up your own grade to match it. (I do actually have experience with this and my uni application days as a mature student, which is anyone over 21 when they apply)

1- The exams are in the summer assessment period. whatever happens, if you miss the enrolment date, you have to wait until next year for most schools.
2- Decide on what exam board you want to use for your retakes, this will affect what schools you can apply to for sitting them.
3- Sometimes spending money can guarantee a pass, some courses will keep tutoring you after your first attempt if you do not make a grade.
4- If you do not want to use a tutor, then the exam boards will usually have past papers and the answer sheets on their websites which you can download and practice with. There are also online resources like BBC Bitesize which are free.
5- Contact the local schools/colleges around you (dependent on if its GCSE or A-level) at around December time to give your self plenty of time to find somewhere that will take you in time for you to be registered as sitting the exam.
6- Bear in mind that it will cost you to just sit the exam and there is no standard charge. Private may charge a lot more to put off people coming in and messing up their league table results but still make some money from those who can afford it.
7- Ensure you know exactly what grade you need to achieve to prevent wasted time and money. Most are separated into higher and lower tiers so if you need a C or equivalent the lower one would normally be the one to take. Do check requirements especially if they use the old letter grading system and the subject has moved onto the new numerical grading system.
Reply 8
Hi I'm 16 and I desperately need to retake my exams so that I can take the last year of sixth form...I beg you all to help me please :'(
Original post by FINOS
Hi I'm 16 and I desperately need to retake my exams so that I can take the last year of sixth form...I beg you all to help me please :'(

You can resit in a local college if they do GCSEs resits. You'll have to enrol on their gcse courses see what they offer you
Original post by bebeisheretohelp
just accept that you've failed them. and if not then some colleges might be willing to offer you a chance to do some of the level 2 courses. I passed English language, English lit, science, *will hopefully pass maths*, food tech, and work skils. work skills is what I'm doing now and I don't think it's worth suffering for. I feel so embarrassed just looking at my certificates so I disposed of them. but listen yeh, don't give up. they keep saying to us aahhh you'll get an a or an a*, but in the end we get lower. we're just not that advanced. and most of these alevel people are showoffs, don't revise and claim they know everything there is to know already. they're happy but someone is still waiting for that one shot! so don't give up. you're lucky. I aint. I have one last shot before the government changes everything.

Although this post has been resurrected for the last few years. I want to just say that one thing I have finally learned at age 25 is that you don't settle for what you have if you're not happy. You can do it, you might fail once or twice or ten times but each time if you give it your all. You're one step away from achieving what you never could. I will be taking my GCSE Maths externally in 2018 and I will be 26 years old. I haven't touched maths since I was 16 years old and for the next 9 months, I will learn and revise and learn again and keep revising till I enter the exam. I won't stop until I get this.

Let's do this.
My son has just failed all his GCSEs and has not idea what has gone wrong. He was predicted B/Cs and worked so hard with his revision etc. He has been to private school and he also had a home tutor for Maths who doubled up to cover Physics and Chemistry as well plus an English tutor. He studied every day especially over the Easter and had a home tutor in daily covering past papers and was sometimes getting A grades in Maths and Physics. He also did the extra clinics at school. His Maths paper was a 3 and English E and even his PE which was predicted B was F. He is totally confused with what has gone wrong as of course now cannot get into the A level courses he had wished for. Does anybody have any ideas?He's not as quite a few say on this site not bothered and certainly has put in the work. He says he didn't feel anxious and honestly felt all had gone well! Thank you from a really concerned Mum who's gutted for her son.
Original post by George Hobbs
My son has just failed all his GCSEs and has not idea what has gone wrong. He was predicted B/Cs and worked so hard with his revision etc. He has been to private school and he also had a home tutor for Maths who doubled up to cover Physics and Chemistry as well plus an English tutor. He studied every day especially over the Easter and had a home tutor in daily covering past papers and was sometimes getting A grades in Maths and Physics. He also did the extra clinics at school. His Maths paper was a 3 and English E and even his PE which was predicted B was F. He is totally confused with what has gone wrong as of course now cannot get into the A level courses he had wished for. Does anybody have any ideas?He's not as quite a few say on this site not bothered and certainly has put in the work. He says he didn't feel anxious and honestly felt all had gone well! Thank you from a really concerned Mum who's gutted for her son.

Get them remarked. All of them. I would go into the school and demand they let you remark them. My friend went through a very similar situation and ended up getting everything remarked (It will cost some money but it's worth a chance) even though it was against the tutors and schools wishes stating it would be a " waste of money " but he ended up getting his Cs from E in 2 GCSE subjects and that's the old GCSEs specification. Everyone now is getting their remarks requested. Make sure you do this as soon as possible. Please let us know what the result are after they come back and we can advise you if it doesn't go well.
My son too although he did scrape Maths & English. He's enrolled a level 2 Btec Business course. I'm gutted for him.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by George Hobbs
He has been to private school and he also had a home tutor for Maths who doubled up to cover Physics and Chemistry as well plus an English tutor. He studied every day especially over the Easter and had a home tutor in daily covering past papers and was sometimes getting A grades in Maths and Physics. He also did the extra clinics at school. His Maths paper was a 3 and English E and even his PE which was predicted B was F

Talk to the school - they can't be any happier about these results than you are and they are in a far better position to advise you than a load of people on the internet who don't know your son and can't see the details of his results (although we could help a bit more if you posted a screenshot of his results so we could see exactly what he'd taken.)
Hello, my name is Mike and I am 22 years of age. I was wondering where to retake my GCSEscourses as college only except grade Ds to resit all GCSEs that I want to take or college doesn't have them.
College as GCSE English Language and GCSE Foundation Mathematics, but they said to get Essential Skills Wales at Level 2 both in Maths and English. But I cannot go onto the course.
http://www.cavc.ac.uk/en/coursepage?uio_id=101166
http://www.cavc.ac.uk/en/coursepage?uio_id=101101

Is there anyway else that would except me where grades are not an issue?

Thanks. Mike
Reply 16
I will need to retake my Mathemathetics and Biology (GCSE or IGCSE) because I need better grades to get in for PGCE and I am a mature student. I would like to resit this in the summer. How do I go about this. I hope it is not too late to register for my exams? Thank you very much.
Original post by Kashies
I will need to retake my Mathemathetics and Biology (GCSE or IGCSE) because I need better grades to get in for PGCE and I am a mature student. I would like to resit this in the summer. How do I go about this. I hope it is not too late to register for my exams? Thank you very much.

The main entry deadline with the exam boards is 21 February but it is possible to enter after that for an increased price - most centres will probably be charging late fees by now anyway. Find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate - there are some suggestions on AQA and Edexcel's websites. If you have no particular preference I would go with Edexcel 1MA1 specification (as it is the most popular GCSE spec) and Edexcel's IGCSE Biology (as there is no requirement for practicals or coursework and far more).
I want to do gcses Maths, English and Science but have never actually done them before. I have a place this September for course titled; 'English level two preparing for work'.I have no idea if that is an equivalent to a GCSES or not....can I even do GCSES?
Original post by GCSESthenAlevels
I want to do gcses Maths, English and Science but have never actually done them before. I have a place this September for course titled; 'English level two preparing for work'.I have no idea if that is an equivalent to a GCSES or not....can I even do GCSES?

GCSES are Level 2 qualifications so it ought to be a similar level to GCSEs.

Anyone can do GCSEs - you might find courses locally, or sign up for a distance learning course or just get the textbooks and teach yourself. You then have to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate and pay them to take the exams there. English and Maths are available in the November (entry deadline early October) and May/June (entry deadline February) though IGCSE is also an option and you can do some of these in January (entry deadline October) or the Summer (entry deadline March).

Quick Reply

Latest