The Student Room Group

Can a verb be present simple of present continuous?

Can a verb be present simple of present continuous? I am looking at the verb 'have' and 'has' in the following context.
'I have blue eyes'
'She has a headache'
'Tim has two sisters'
Reply 1
Present simple and present continuous are two different tenses so a verb can either be one of the other. All the examples you give are present simple - they state basic facts which is one use of present simple.
Present continuous is used for actions which are ongoing so I am guessing this is why you are confused about 'She has a headache' since it is likely the headache is continuing. However, making a statement about a state is always in the present simple even though that state is continuous - some more examples would be 'She is pretty', 'He is clever', 'They are happy' - all these are present simple.
Examples of present continuous are - 'She is sitting on the chair', 'He is writing a letter', 'They are singing a song' - these verbs represent actions which are continuing beyond the time when it is said but which are not likely to go on for ever.
As a beginner, the easiest way to tell the difference is that the present continuous always uses the 'ing' form of the verb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending