The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Question for AUB students - internet at halls?

I'm looking into applying at AUB and I just read in the Accommodation booklet

can i use the internet for online gaming?

No the internet service is restricted and monitored and does not include
Peer2Peer networking, live TV streaming or online gaming provisio

My question is - is there a way to get around this or set up your own internet so you can bypass all that?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I'm in East House at aub now and haven't found a way around it; cant get onto Steam, cant use Utorrent, can't download big files (such as a free trial of adobe or autocad or word which is SO helpful) can't even get onto Tor browser

I went to the IT office to ask for help and the woman didn't even know that the internet throughout campus is the same as the one for the halls (as far as i know) in fact i don't think she even knew there was a halls on campus.
When i asked her about all this stuff the conversation went something like this:
"do you know what i can do to get around soandso?"
"uuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm... I dont know."
"well what about...?"
"uuuuuuuuurrrrrrmmmmmmm"
"...???"
"uuuurm well the firewall blocks stuff like that so i think you probably can't"

basically the most unhelpful conversation I've ever had.

When using the internet you have to log in every time you turn on the pc or the wifi looses connection which is a massive pain, especially on a phone as the email is really long.
I'd make sure you have decent 3G on your phone if possible, i mostly use that instead of the wifi.

Frankly considering how much money you pay to be in halls (A LOT) you'd think they'd give you a decent wifi, one that isn't already stretched over the whole uni...
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
I was really hoping that decent internet would be available :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending