The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

UCLan now has a medical school

Starting September 2014, UCLan will be offering the MBBS for people who have achieved AAB at A-level to include chemistry and biology, and have achieved a decent set of GCSE grades with B's in English, maths and science. They will also allow graduates to apply who have achieved a 2:1 in a science subject, or a 2:1 in a non-science subject alongside a score of >55 on the GAMSAT.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bachelor_medicine_bachelor_surgery.php

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

UCLan, now the final refuge for less able Asians seeking to avoid the wrath of their demanding parents
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Bear in mind this is a privately funded course, it doesn't come under the normal system (which has started cutting places due to over supply) so like Buckingham it will take a few years to get GMC approval and will cost a significant amount to attend.
Reply 3
Original post by 345rty
Bear in mind this is a privately funded course, it doesn't come under the normal system (which has started cutting places due to over supply) so like Buckingham it will take a few years to get GMC approval and will cost a significant amount to attend.

It's cheaper than £9,000 per year, the standard for pretty much all university courses.

EDIT: Didn't realise it said £35,000 per year. Wow.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LukeyJB
Starting September 2014, UCLan will be offering the MBBS for people who have achieved AAB at A-level to include chemistry and biology, and have achieved a decent set of GCSE grades with B's in English, maths and science. They will also allow graduates to apply who have achieved a 2:1 in a science subject, or a 2:1 in a non-science subject alongside a score of >55 on the GAMSAT.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bachelor_medicine_bachelor_surgery.php

Thoughts?

I never knew that such privately-run universities/courses existed until now! Just looked up Buckingham as well.

Does this mean that Student Finance does not apply to these universities?
Reply 5
Original post by Rumschpringe
I never knew that such privately-run universities/courses existed until now! Just looked up Buckingham as well.

Does this mean that Student Finance does not apply to these universities?

That's what I was thinking, one would assume so.
Original post by LukeyJB
That's what I was thinking, one would assume so.

I was hopeful that there could potentially be another medical school I'd be able apply to outside of UCAS, as I'm only able to apply to 3 this year.... But without the SF us working class people have zero chance of going to such universities. Haha. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
I was looking to apply here, so is it not £9,000 per year?
Reply 9
35K annual fee. That is ridiculous.
With an annual fee of £35,000 a year that's £175,000 on fees alone for the 5 years of your degree
which that money equivalent to a nice decent house I must admit!
Reply 11
Hmmmm, Guys what do you think about the degree itself? Other than the fee of 35K that's too much, is it worth going for it? As you know since it's still a new degree at UCLan and GMC approval is still under process. For example, if I join it will I be at a HUGE risk of getting a somehow "non-accredited" or "not internationally-recognised" MBBS degree that turns out to be useless after spending five years for it!?
Any views on this?
Thank you!
Reply 12
I am looking into medicine and my uncle spoke to a lecturer he knows at uclan. He told me that there are problems at uclan with many staff being sacked and many strikes. He said that they are working with Blackburn hospital, who have had a lot of problems and they were criticized when the NHS inspected them. I tried calling but they don't seem to have any staff yet and no students. I will not be spending 30,000 at an ex-poly to study medicine and in a hospital with a bad reputation.
Reply 13
I got a offer from them but they do not accept GCSE English grade B and asked me to do IELTS(7.0)
Until GMC approval, skeptical.
Apparently if Buckingham are refused GMC validation then students would be transferred over to Leicester according to the website. I would assume UCLAN would have a similar plan in place.
There is an agreement that students will transfer to Leicester to complete their studies should the Medical School at Buckingham run into difficulties. Any student starting the course who is able to pass the necessary assessments will obtain a GMC recognised degree by one route or another.
(edited 9 years ago)
£35k fee per annum?
Honestly?
Can someone link me? :P
Original post by briang1266
I am looking into medicine and my uncle spoke to a lecturer he knows at uclan. He told me that there are problems at uclan with many staff being sacked and many strikes. He said that they are working with Blackburn hospital, who have had a lot of problems and they were criticized when the NHS inspected them. I tried calling but they don't seem to have any staff yet and no students. I will not be spending 30,000 at an ex-poly to study medicine and in a hospital with a bad reputation.

Nothing wrong with ex polys.
Although, in the medicine world, being the only one would be a bit odd.
'UK HE fee regulations prevent UK/EU students applying for this programme' does this mean only international students can get on to this medical school?

Latest

Trending

Trending