The Student Room Group

do unis care what a levels u picked

after choosing the required ones: e.g. Chemistry and one other science e.g. Maths, do unis care what other a levels u picked?
is chem, maths and business (A*AA) seen the same as bio chem maths physics (A*AAA)? providing they meet A*AA entry requirements.
Original post by ismaelishere
after choosing the required ones: e.g. Chemistry and one other science e.g. Maths, do unis care what other a levels u picked?
is chem, maths and business (A*AA) seen the same as bio chem maths physics (A*AAA)? providing they meet A*AA entry requirements.
Some unis have preferred subjects that they just think are useful or relevant for your degree but they're usually a list of about 10 subjects or just 'humanities' or 'a modern language', although this tends to be for subjects that cover a wide range of topics (I'm applying to archaeology so the degrees can cover anything from scientific methods to literary analysis). It might be useful to look at the most popular A levels taken by students that got into the course you want to do at uni (eg. for Cambridge archaeology there are no subject requirements but about 75% took a language A level).
Depends on the course and uni. There's not general answer. What do you want to apply for?
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends on the course and uni. There's not general answer. What do you want to apply for?

medicine and i want to maximise chances generally at as many unis
medicine and i want to maximise chances generally at as many unis
So medicine is one where they don't really care. There are only three medical schools where your third subject makes a difference - UCLan and Leeds (I think) require your 3rd subject to be "academic", but this includes basically anything except art/tech/vocational subjects. The other one is cambridge which doesn't require anything but statistically applicants need to get doing 3 STEM subjects to achieve competitive scores in interview.

Note though if you want to maximise the number of medical schools you can choose among I'd suggest biology/chemistry/any third subject. As about 1/3 of medical schools require biology. You still lots to choose among with chem/maths, but not the full range
So medicine is one where they don't really care. There are only three medical schools where your third subject makes a difference - UCLan and Leeds (I think) require your 3rd subject to be "academic", but this includes basically anything except art/tech/vocational subjects. The other one is cambridge which doesn't require anything but statistically applicants need to get doing 3 STEM subjects to achieve competitive scores in interview.
Note though if you want to maximise the number of medical schools you can choose among I'd suggest biology/chemistry/any third subject. As about 1/3 of medical schools require biology. You still lots to choose among with chem/maths, but not the full range

if i am able to achieve a high grade in a traditionally harder subject e.g. english lit or physics, will this help me to stand out/ impress admissions and show that i am a way abive average learner.
if i am able to achieve a high grade in a traditionally harder subject e.g. english lit or physics, will this help me to stand out/ impress admissions and show that i am a way abive average learner.

No - that's not how it works. The academic requirements are normally a tick box and it doesn't matter how you tick the box as long as it's ticked. An A is an A whether it's in English or something else.

Generally medical school admissions are very transparent about the process and provide all the information up front. If they don't say there's a preference, there isn't one.
No - that's not how it works. The academic requirements are normally a tick box and it doesn't matter how you tick the box as long as it's ticked. An A is an A whether it's in English or something else.
Generally medical school admissions are very transparent about the process and provide all the information up front. If they don't say there's a preference, there isn't one.

ok thx. so i should just take what i am good at and enjoy?
ok thx. so i should just take what i am good at and enjoy?

Yeah, just take any A-level you are confident you can get an A or A* in that you enjoy :smile:

Do take an A-level though rather than a BTEC or a WJEC Certificate (such as the criminology one often called "A-level Criminology" by 6th forms but that is not an A-level!) to ensure you meet the requirements.

Hi @ismaelishere !

It's great to hear that you want to study medicine!

Medical schools are very transparent about which A-levels they require. For example, at UCLan for 2024 entry, they ask for AAA at A2 at least two science subjects including Chemistry. I have linked our entry requirements here for you so that you can have a look. I would pick what you enjoy which aligns with entry requirements and focus on other things that make your application stand out (such as volunteering and work experience). I wouldn't worry too much about trying to look like you are above the average learner as the entry requirements are standard and medical school as a whole doesn't just focus on being traditionally academic, it is about being a well-rounded and safe doctor at the end of your degree!

I hope this helps,
Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest