The Student Room Group

Midwifery Undergraduate 2014 applications

Hi, thought I'd start a thread for midwifery 2014 hopefuls. Applying next year. Experiences etc :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Applying to South Wales, Bangor, Swansea, Conventry and Teeside. Really hoping South Wales, but tbh I'll just be happy to get a place on the course somewhere :tongue: Doing A-Levels, got my Psychology and finishing off my Biology and Chemistry now.

- Volunteered at a centre that provides holidays for physically disabled adults
- Did over 100 hours in summer with young disabled people
- Three study days; Postnatal and Antenatal Care, Breastfeeding, Public role of the Midwife
- 5 days at local hospital on non-maternity
- 5 days at women's hospital, spent one day on antenatal, three postnatal and one on MLU where I got to see a birth :biggrin:
- College ambassador of a children's hospice

First time applying, hoping it all pays off!!!
Reply 2
Wow. That is a lot of experience. Are you a school leaver. I am hoping to apply to RGU, Edinburgh napier and 3 English unis if my parents let me. Does the nhs pay for our tuition fees xx
Original post by chloeeeeeee
Wow. That is a lot of experience. Are you a school leaver. I am hoping to apply to RGU, Edinburgh napier and 3 English unis if my parents let me. Does the nhs pay for our tuition fees xx

Left school back in 2011. I'm in my third year of college, I failed my first year Biology and Chemistry so had to resit that while carrying on with Psychology A2. I will be 19 if I manage to get on the course this next coming year! They do :-) Just go for them, it's your choice, not theirs! ;D My parents aren't overjoyed about the Welsh ones as they're over 5 hours away from us ahahaha
Reply 4
There are so many universities in England that offer midwifery. How did you pick which ones you were going to apply for xx
I narrowed them down based on realistic grades so 3 B's, I had been to open days closer to home and they were terrible. Went to South Wales and they were so welcoming and friendly, informative and the facilities were fantastic! I went up there as part of a weekend away really and thought I might as well have a look round while I'm there, never knew I would love it so much. I then looked at others in Wales being Swansea and Bangor, because I love the area so much. I then had to look into lower graded universities. I found Coventry and Teeside were the best ones out of the other back-ups I had in mind!xx
Reply 6
So what unis did you not like xx
I've applied for wolverhapmton, coventry, birmingham city, staffordshire and edge hill for midwifery 2014.

Grades at A-Level
Law-A*
Childcare learning and development- A*
Philosophy - C
Ethics - B
Psychology - C
Sociology - D

I am Now on an access course as I felt it would give me a better chance.

Experience:
Residential home,
Rehabilitation centre
Creche
Primary school
Nursery
Worked in a hospital
Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit (EPAU),
Week with community nurses
Starting a job in a care home soon
Working in a card shop currently
Childminder
Witnessing friends labour progressing
Shaddowing a Midwife
And a bit more.

I am only 20 so I haven't got any children myself, so I am hoping all of my education/ experience will be enough.

Haven't heard anything back from my uni's yet, so no news is good news right? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was supposed to say I'm only 19.
I will be 20 when I start the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Just wondered if anyone else had an interview at Manchester University on 25th November?
Its the only uni I've heard from :frown:
Applied to Leeds, Kings, York and Nottingham
Hi guys, im new to this!

I have an interview at notts on the 18th, has anybody already had one? any information on the entry test would be appreciated as biology isnt my strong point. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending