The Student Room Group

if carrying out a contract makes both parties criminally liable, can you breach it?

Hi, just looking for advice on the above.

X has accepted Y's offer to carry out garden renovation work. However after this acceptance, Y found out that carrying out the contract would make both X and Y criminally liable (under the Environment Act). Neither party was aware of this before entering the contract.

Can Y legally not perform the contract, without being in breach?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Sorry, the above isn't very clear!

X asked Y to carry out renovation work. Y gave X a price. X accepted this price, and Y was due to start work in a few days.

However, just after X accepted the price, Y realised carrying out the contract would make both of them criminally liable.

Can Y back out of this contract?

Thanks!
Reply 2
No, a contract isn't enforceable if it breaks the law in any way, as far as I know.
Reply 3
I may be completely wrong, (I'm not a lawyer, not studying law, and don't know any lawyers) but isn't there a 'without prejudice' statement in most contracts, which covers this sort of thing?
A contract is void ab initio if it would necessarily be illegal to perform the duties under it at the time it was made. It does not make sense to speak of 'breaching' the contract, because there is no valid contract to breach in those circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by askew116
I may be completely wrong, (I'm not a lawyer, not studying law, and don't know any lawyers) but isn't there a 'without prejudice' statement in most contracts, which covers this sort of thing?

The only without prejudice I know of is in documents between two parties when negotiating a settlement in which case without prejudice = this is not to be shown to the judge.

In this case it'd be void from the start.
Reply 6
A contract is instantly void if the terms would cause any party to commit an offense, so it cannot technically be breached. It would never be a valid contract in the first place.
Reply 7
Original post by Jingers
The only without prejudice I know of is in documents between two parties when negotiating a settlement in which case without prejudice = this is not to be shown to the judge.

In this case it'd be void from the start.

Oh right, I remember a few years ago I accepted a voluntary redundancy from my job, and the company provided legal advice to take me through the contract, and they explained a without prejudice clause, from memory it was something about if any clause turns out to be illegal, that clause will be void but the rest of the contract is still valid.
Original post by askew116
Oh right, I remember a few years ago I accepted a voluntary redundancy from my job, and the company provided legal advice to take me through the contract, and they explained a without prejudice clause, from memory it was something about if any clause turns out to be illegal, that clause will be void but the rest of the contract is still valid.

It depends if performance of the contract would necessarily be illegal. If the contract can be performed in an illegal way and a legal way, then the contract is still valid (except if both parties in fact intend to perform it in an illegal way). If its performance is necessarily illegal then it is void.

If there is an express clause allowing for the severance of any clause that turns out to be illegal, then the contract as a whole will not be void if such severance is possible. It is capable of performance in a legal way, in accordance with the contract, by severing the illegal terms. Of course not every contract can be saved in this way, the contract might not have any consideration if the illegal clause is severed, or it might be manifestly contrary to public policy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Forum User
It depends if performance of the contract would necessarily be illegal. If the contract can be performed in an illegal way and a legal way, then the contract is still valid (except if both parties in fact intend to perform it in an illegal way). If its performance is necessarily illegal then it is void.

If there is an express clause allowing for the severance of any clause that turns out to be illegal, then the contract as a whole will not be void if such severance is possible. It is capable of performance in a legal way, in accordance with the contract, by severing the illegal terms. Of course not every contract can be saved in this way, the contract might not have any consideration if the illegal clause is severed, or it might be manifestly contrary to public policy.

Erm...That just went straight over my head. :colondollar:
Reply 10
A contract is void ab initio if it would necessarily be illegal to perform the duties under it at the time it was made. It does not make sense to speak of 'breaching' the contract, because there is no valid contract to breach in those circumstances.

thanks. I just read something about the defense of illegality - if there's no valid contract, what exactly is the defense for? Just a defense that they don't have to perform their contractual obligations because the contract was void from the outset?
Reply 11

Actually, thinking about what you've said here I'm even more confused.

When you say 'if the contract can be performed in an illegal way and a legal way then the contract is still valid' - what if, to perform the contract in a legal way, person X has to do something after the contract has been performed? (e.g. notify relevant authorities within set time periods)

The contract is still valid then right? so Y has no right to refuse to perform the contract.

In which case, Y has to perform the contract and just hope that X takes the necessary steps to make it legal?
A contract cannot even be made without it being lawful

So I believe you can back oout
Original post by sxp842
thanks. I just read something about the defense of illegality - if there's no valid contract, what exactly is the defense for? Just a defense that they don't have to perform their contractual obligations because the contract was void from the outset?

Illegality is usually a defence to a claim in tort. But it could be a defence to a claim in contract. As I said, a contract is not void just because it can be performed in an illegal way, it is only void if it must necessarily be performed in an illegal way.

Contract One - deliver my refrigerator to Doncaster in exchange for £100. That is not void even though it is could be done by hijacking an aircraft, parachuting on top of a ship, taking the crew hostage and sailing up the Humber, Trent and Don to Doncaster. It can be performed in a legal way, by driving within the speed limits in a licenced insured vehicle.

But if the other party to the contract does decide to take the more unusual option, and does deliver my refrigerator, I might have a defence when they sue me for the price,

Contract Two - murder my wife for £100. That is void as it cannot be performed except in an illegal way. I do not need a defence to your claim for payment of £100 in contract, as there is no contract. You cannot claim a resitutionary quantum meruit, as illegality would be a defence to that claim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending