The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to sign a contract with an apprenticeship then go back on it?

Hi I recently received 2 offers from apprenticeships and one of them is asking me to sign a contract, within 5 days, on the formal letter of employment if I would like to accept. Issue is the second offer I haven't seen the contract yet (will be sent within 2 weeks) and neither of the 2 are my top choice. I am currently at the final interview of 2 others I feel will be better than the one I have currently and I also have done the final interview of another apprenticeship which is my top choice but I am awaiting their decision (it has been 3 weeks). I want to keep my options open and I don't want to reject this as of right now in case I don't get into any others / the offers aren't as good. Am I, as a 17 year old, allowed to sign the contract then go back on it should I receive an offer? And what are the implications of this? Thanks.
(edited 4 months ago)
I am no legal expert, but if the contract says you are accepting to do an apprenticeship, say for 12 months or however long it is, and you don't do it then I expect then not doing so would be in breach of contract. Maybe is it worth speaking to your tutor/head of year/careers advisor in your sixth form and see if they have any advice on this? It is also worth considering, would you regret turning down an apprenticeship and then not getting the one you want more or choosing this apprenticeship and not being able to do the one you would prefer?
Original post by Incrediblezed
Hi I recently received 2 offers from apprenticeships and one of them is asking me to sign a contract, within 5 days, on the formal letter of employment if I would like to accept. Issue is the second offer I haven't seen the contract yet (will be sent within 2 weeks) and neither of the 2 are my top choice. I am currently at the final interview of 2 others I feel will be better than the one I have currently and I also have done the final interview of another apprenticeship which is my top choice but I am awaiting their decision (it has been 3 weeks). I want to keep my options open and I don't want to reject this as of right now in case I don't get into any others / the offers aren't as good. Am I, as a 17 year old, allowed to sign the contract then go back on it should I receive an offer? And what are the implications of this? Thanks.

Read the contract you are being asked to sign. What provision does it make for you terminating the contract? Does it even allow you to terminate the contract early? If there is no provision with the contract which would allow it to be terminated, then you would be in breach of contract if you attempted to simply walk away when a better opportunity came along.

Generally speaking, a minor (i.e. someone below the age of 18) can void a contract they enter into at any time - simply because they are not deemed old enough to understand it. (See the Minors’ Contracts Act 1987.)

However, there is a understandable specific exception for education and apprenticeships. So you cannot use the "but I'm only 17 argument" to wriggle out of it. Such a contract is binding.

Your best option, if there is no specific provision with the contract which would allow you to terminate it, would be to try to stall them until such time as you know you want to sign it. You shouldn't be signing a contract which you know you're likely to want to walk away from.

All that being said, the consequences of walking away after having signed it are not likely to be significant. The other party could take you to court and seek reparations, but in reality they are unlikely to do so.

(Caveat: Not a lawyer.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending