The Student Room Group

Uni houses

Hi, I've signed a housing contract next year for a room in a uni house - however circumstances have changed and it would be easier for me to live elsewhere - is it possible to sub let the room to another person? If so, how difficult is it to find someone to take on the room?
Original post by cata03
Hi, I've signed a housing contract next year for a room in a uni house - however circumstances have changed and it would be easier for me to live elsewhere - is it possible to sub let the room to another person? If so, how difficult is it to find someone to take on the room?

How difficult it will be to find someone will very much depend on the university, the location of the accommodation, it's desirability, it's price, whether it will be available when people want it, etc. etc. How long is a piece of string?

Also, it may be that your tenancy agreement doesn't allow you to "sub let" (where you remaining the tenant, but have a tenant renting it from you), but requires you to assign the contract to someone else (so you step out of the contract and someone else steps in to replace you).
Original post by cata03

Hey there @cata03 !
I can't say a possibility chance that you'll definitely find someone to take it over but usually contracts say that once you've signed it you have to pay the rent unless you find someone to take over the tenancy. Your best bet for finding someone is to join all the Facebook groups for tenancy takeovers in your city and advertising the listing there with detailed description and as many pictures as you have. There's no way to say whether it will be successful but it's the ideal time of year to do it as people will be looking for tenancies for placement years and people that have applied through clearing. I believe once you've found someone you have to contact your landlord or housing agency and let them know and then they'll provide all the necessary forms to give to the new tenant to fill out. If you're sharing with other people, it's always better respect-wise to let them meet the possible person before just handing over the tenancy.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by cata03

Hi there,
It's definitely possible to find a replacement tenant. I would recommend contacting your estate agent and letting them know you're looking for a replacement tenant. You will remain liable for the rent until you find one but make sure that any tenancy takeover goes directly through them, as subletting is usually a breach of your tenancy agreement. To find a replacement tenant, try posting on forums like this and social media (or sites like Spare Room). Once you find someone who is interested, put them in contact with your estate agent and they can sort out the takeover.

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending