The Student Room Group

Accommodation contract

I'm really not sure about whether to attend uni this year. I'm under some time pressure to sign an accommodation contract, but the T&C's indicate that you are liable for the cost once you've signed up (assuming you get tour grades and are accepted). Failing to get your grades seems to be the only escape. Anyone been in this situation and changed your mind on results day after getting the required grades? Were you liable for the accommodation?
Original post by gymflo
I'm really not sure about whether to attend uni this year. I'm under some time pressure to sign an accommodation contract, but the T&C's indicate that you are liable for the cost once you've signed up (assuming you get tour grades and are accepted). Failing to get your grades seems to be the only escape. Anyone been in this situation and changed your mind on results day after getting the required grades? Were you liable for the accommodation?

Hey there @gymflo !
Once you've signed the contract you are usually liable to all payments and if you can't pay them then legally it goes to the guarantor to take responsibility. The only way to get out of these contracts is to find someone to take over your tenancy but you will still have to pay the rent until you find someone and they're only liable for the costs after you've swapped on the contract. Some student halls have clauses that say you can be released form the contract if you don't get the grades required to get into the university (as you've stated). As soon as you accept your firm choice then if you've applied through the university you are automatically put in that contract. Each contract will state exactly what the conditions of it are and if something seems a bit ambiguous to you then it might be worth contacting the accommodation for some clarity. Get everything they say in writing and make sure you haven't signed anything until you're 100% sure.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending