The Student Room Group

Philippines Typhoon

Why is it that they can't seem to get enough aid sent over there and food/drink supplies, yet news reporters and photographers can get there?!

Scroll to see replies

Because aid and resources cost more and take more time to send than news reporters and photographers.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Because aid and resources cost more and take more time to send than news reporters and photographers.

But I mean that news reporters will be getting paid. Can they just not send a few and pay for it that way? You don't need a news reporter from each news service!
Original post by 2scotty
But I mean that news reporters will be getting paid. Can they just not send a few and pay for it that way? You don't need a news reporter from each news service!

look stop being so ludicrously idealistic - relief work is a massive operation involving far more than two people a microphone and a camera.

Not to mention the more news reporters out there the more coverage the more exposure the more peopl who know the more who donate to the relief forces

that and of course simple human nature that we really dont care about things that dont concern us
Original post by 2scotty

Are you seriously suggesting we prevent news services from sending their own paid journalists to cover a story as massive as the Typhoon? And are you then suggesting we get the money, which would otherwise have been used to pay the journalists, and contribute towards the relief effort?

What an absurd thing to suggest.

Firstly, news services can cover whatever the hell they want.

Secondly, the cost of sending a couple of journalists to the Philippines to cover the story would be a drop in the ocean of money required to fund an effective relief effort.

Thirdly, journalist exposure is a good thing - and yes, we DO need one for every news service. Some people only watch one news service - I, for one, use BBC. There are some who only watch Sky news. If SKY covered something which BBC didn't, I wouldn't know the in-depth details now, will I? How would you decide which News Service gets to cover a story as juicy as the typhoon?

Also, media exposure generates interest, which in turn generates income through donations - the more media exposure the better.

With all that said, how can you seriously be against journalists being sent to cover the story?

If you feel so strongly about it, start busking in the street and contribute your donations to the relief effort.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 2scotty
Why is it that they can't seem to get enough aid sent over there and food/drink supplies, yet news reporters and photographers can get there?!

News reporter = 80kg = water for one person for a week.

The enormity of the disaster will need more than a few bottles of water shoved on an airlines seat. It'll take cargo ships of aids and convoys of trucks.

Probably one of the most important things that the media re doing is raising awareness.
What I think is absurd is kind of the tone of the reporting, as if the British public should stop everything that they are doing and dip in to their pockets for some distant banana republic, despite the fact that Britain has no real cultural, trade or colonial links with these islands. It must be said that these kind of calamities tend to happen again and again in the 3rd world because of their tendency to cut corners in planning, corruption etc...but it's unreasonable to expect westerners to cough up again and again because of their fecklessness.
Reply 7
Original post by CotswoldJihad
What I think is absurd is kind of the tone of the reporting, as if the British public should stop everything that they are doing and dip in to their pockets for some distant banana republic, despite the fact that Britain has no real cultural, trade or colonial links with these islands. It must be said that these kind of calamities tend to happen again and again in the 3rd world because of their tendency to cut corners in planning, corruption etc...but it's unreasonable to expect westerners to cough up again and again because of their fecklessness.

It's nothing to do with trade, culture or colonialism. It's a humanitarian problem. The people suffering are not corrupt politicians, they're ordinary people who need help. No one forces people to give aid money, if you don't want to you don't have to. Also you can't really relate to one of the most devastating storms on record when you live in a country that comes to a standstill after 3 inches of snowfall. Get your head out of your arse.
The UK has donated £10 million in aid. This money came from a section of the defence budget designed for aid in situations like this. I find it a little bemusing that every year the UK gov is running a deficit, making cuts etc., however still ensures it has money to give out for disasters on top of that that it already gives. I do wish the gov would stop spending tax payers money on other country's and allow the people of the country to donate on an individual level of they wish.

I'm a Filipino and it saddens me to read some of the things that's been said here. In fact, I do understand the economic crisis you lot are going through. However, I think the Philippines would have done the same thing given that we have the resources we need to help and reach out to people in the UK. Again, I'm not hear to argue, Britain did rule the Philippines for two years in 18 or 19th century. Please do some research but again I just hope you won't go through what we're going through now.
Original post by 2scotty

in the areas that the reporters managed to reach, aid has been sent (distribution is another matter) but there are places so remote, no one is sure how to reach them just yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

fecklessness? you think this people choosed to have their families killed? if you dont want to help out, fair enough. but why don't you shut your spoiled, not to mention ignorant mouth instead of making stupid assumptions. Clearly you know nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by christiandbutor
I'm a Filipino and it saddens me to read some of the things that's been said here. In fact, I do understand the economic crisis you lot are going through. However, I think the Philippines would have done the same thing given that we have the resources we need to help and reach out to people in the UK. Again, I'm not hear to argue, Britain did rule the Philippines for two years in 18 or 19th century. Please do some research but again I just hope you won't go through what we're going through now.

18th century for few years. and definitely agree with you kababayan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm shocked by the selfish nature of some of the members on here. We as a nation absolutely should be doing all we can to help the Phillippines. Sure, we may not have many 'trade' or 'cultural' links with the country, but they are a people in a real difficulty. They didn't choose to be struck by one of the worst storms on record. Our government is right to be sending in the Royal Navy to help, and to be sending millions of pounds in aid. We are a nation that is proud to give when other human beings find themselves in need, whether it be Haiti, Syria or The Philippines.

Oh, and it's one of the fastest growing economies in the world (it had faster growth than China earlier this year). You may not agree with giving money to a 'Third World' nation far away, but we'll soon be having a great deal more trade and links with it the way things are going.
Original post by economist2
shut up, you selfish prick.You live in a country blessed with resources.Learn to share.
<br />
<br />
Reported for offence. Also well done for proving that you cannot read properly and not understanding my point at all. I suggest that you begin to attend English reading classes.
Original post by Kagutsuchi

If you feel so strongly about it, start busking in the street and contribute your donations to the relief effort.

I'm sure the people of the Philippines will love all the copper coins and small change they get thanks to the charitable British buskers.

Original post by economist2
shut up, you selfish prick.You live in a country blessed with resources.Learn to share.

Epic response. :yy:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
I'm sure the people of the Philippines will love all the copper coins and small change they get thanks to the charitable British buskers.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Epic response. :yy:
<br />
<br />
I shall also support anyone who engages in petty name calling with you in the future.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
The UK has donated £10 million in aid. This money came from a section of the defence budget designed for aid in situations like this. I find it a little bemusing that every year the UK gov is running a deficit, making cuts etc., however still ensures it has money to give out for disasters on top of that that it already gives. I do wish the gov would stop spending tax payers money on other country's and allow the people of the country to donate on an individual level of they wish.

£10 million is small change. It's like finding a few coins down the back if the sofa.

The Phillipine Government is a friendly nation, and as such it's only right that we help out.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
<br />
<br />
Reported for offence. Also well done for proving that you cannot read properly and not understanding my point at all. I suggest that you begin to attend English reading classes.

Your point is incorrect.Deficit means government is spending and the spending will yield tax income in the longrun.

Uk earns more than 300 bn from tax each year.if you calculate 10 million as a percentage, its 0.003%.So,stop crying.its less than 0.5 pound per person.Is that too much for you?
Tbh it does seem these reporters get transportation to these areas, so logically if they're able to get their by car or motorbike, it wouldn't be unreasonable to fill that car/bike (strap stuff on, locals do it no problem haha) with those high energy biscuits they keep discussing, or water, obviously water weighs a lot more though.

Also probably sounds dumb but with them saying tons of aid is waiting but can't be dispatched because they don't have suitable aircraft, why can't they just para-drop it? In other disasters they've dropped whole pallets of food with a big ass parachute(s) on, why can't they designate a drop zone and drop stuff in for aid workers/locals to go and get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending