The Student Room Group

Philippines qualifications

Is it possible to enter uni with overseas qualifications?

My sister finished senior high in the Philippines. Would she be applying through an International Foundation Year? or is she able to directly apply for a Foundation year only?
Reply 1
Original post by starshapedtears
Is it possible to enter uni with overseas qualifications?

My sister finished senior high in the Philippines. Would she be applying through an International Foundation Year? or is she able to directly apply for a Foundation year only?

Yes, you can enter university with overseas qualifications.

Universities accept lots of international students, and many of them will have studied abroad and hence have overseas qualifications rather than UK qualifications.

Your sister will need to check with the universities she is considering to see what specific qualifications they will accept, and what the appropriate entry level is. If she has the right qualifications at the right level, she may not need to do a foundation year at all.
Original post by martin7
Yes, you can enter university with overseas qualifications.

Universities accept lots of international students, and many of them will have studied abroad and hence have overseas qualifications rather than UK qualifications.

Your sister will need to check with the universities she is considering to see what specific qualifications they will accept, and what the appropriate entry level is. If she has the right qualifications at the right level, she may not need to do a foundation year at all.

thank you sm.

what i'm worried about is the fee. would she be able to apply for a foundation year only and not an INTERNATIONAL one?
Original post by starshapedtears
thank you sm.

what i'm worried about is the fee. would she be able to apply for a foundation year only and not an INTERNATIONAL one?

She needs to check whether she’s eligible for direct entry first. She may not need to do any foundation year.

Unis have qualification webpages explaining what they need from students who have studied overseas.
Just as an example, here’s Bath’s requirements for Computer Science, (you just pick your country of study from a drop-down menu on the course page). NB. This is for Malaysia as it’s the nearest I could find geographically, but the process for checking is the same. If you can’t find guidance about the Philippines specifically, just email the uni to ask.

“Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM)

AAA in three subjects including Mathematics.

We do not accept General Studies as one of these three subjects. We do not accept grade A- in place of grade A.

Dua Tahun Matrikulasi (PDT)

CGPA of 3.5 in the science stream with A- in Mathematics in the final semester.”
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
As above - check with each Uni, but be aware that there are many global 'High School' qualifications that UK Unis will not accept because they are below the standard of A levels etc. In this case they will probably have their own International Foundation program to bridge the gap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending