The Student Room Group

FP1 Rectangular Hyperbola question

Why is it called rectangular if it doesn't look like a rectangle and actually looks more like a reciprocal function?

y=(c^2)/x
y=16/x

Then c^2=16
c=+or -4. But c>0 so c=4
But WHY can't c=-4? Surely the square in c^2 sorts it out?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by krisshP
Why is it called rectangular if it doesn't look like a rectangle and actually looks more like a reciprocal function?

y=(c^2)/x
y=16/x

Then c^2=16
c=+or -4. But c>0 so c=4
But WHY can't c=-4? Surely the square in c^2 sorts it out?

Thanks

A hyperbola with perpendicular asymptotes is called a rectangular hyperbola.

c cannot be -4 because, as you said yourself, c>0.
Reply 2
Original post by BabyMaths
A hyperbola with perpendicular asymptotes is called a rectangular hyperbola.

c cannot be -4 because, as you said yourself, c>0.

I still don't get why it is called a rectangular hyperbola:confused:

But the thing is y=(c^2)/x, whether I have c=-4 or c=4, we get the numerator of the RHS as 16. Hence with, say x=2, we end up with the same result of y=16/2=8 whether we use c=-4 or c=4:confused:. Hence when solving, say, 8=(c^2)/2, I ask WHY is c=-4 invalid as a root?
Original post by krisshP
I still don't get why it is called a rectangular hyperbola:confused:

But the thing is y=(c^2)/x, whether I have c=-4 or c=4, we get the numerator of the RHS as 16. Hence with, say x=2, we end up with the same result of y=16/2=8 whether we use c=-4 or c=4:confused:. Hence when solving, say, 8=(c^2)/2, I ask WHY is c=-4 invalid as a root?

Just accept that, by definition, a hyperbola with perpendicular asymptotes is called a "rectangular" hyperbola.
and c can be -4 unless the question has specified that it is equal to or greater than 0.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by brianeverit
just accept that, by definition, a hyperbola with perpendicular asymptotes is called a "rectangular" hyperbola.
And c can be -4 unless the question has specified that it is equal to or greater than 0.

thank you very much:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by brianeverit
J

IMG_20131114_133507-1.jpg

Any ideas on how to do that question please?

Thank you very much:smile:
Reply 6
for a) it`s just a matter of using the equation of the given hyperbola with c>0, in the form:

y=c2xy=\frac{c^2}{x} and equating it to ANY line with equation y=mx,m>0y=-mx, m>0 trough the origin. this equation indicates...
Reply 7
Original post by Hasufel
for a) it`s just a matter of using the equation of the given hyperbola with c>0, in the form:

y=c2xy=\frac{c^2}{x} and equating it to ANY line with equation y=mx,m>0y=-mx, m>0 trough the origin. this equation indicates...

Okay thank you very much:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hasufel

y=(c^2)/x [1]
y=-3x [2]

Sub [1] into [2]:

-3x=(c^2)/x
-3x^2 = c^2

c is squared and c is a positive constant, so the RHS>0. However on the LHS x^2≥0 and the -3 makes the LHS ≤0.
-->LHS RHS
-->-3x^2 c^2
-->At no point do both graphs intersect one another.

Is that okay? Any ideas on how to improve that?

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest