Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Pharmacy uclan 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by canadian27
Hi. I had my interview for Pharmacy at Uclan on the 20th November and got an offer :smile: The interview is really informal. All they will ask you is why do you want to be a pharmacist, what do you think you will enjoy the most on the course, what do you think you will be good at as a pharmacist and what do you think you won't be so good at.
The test was ok overall. There were some hard chemistry calculations on finding the concentration of buffer solutions and it gave the ml and mM(?) in the question. I couldn't identify the functional group(apparently it was an amine group), but the other maths questions were alright. Also, you'll get a picture of the back of a medicine packet and there will be some multiple choice questions about the maximum dosage that can be taken,etc. The answers will be in the text.
Our 15 minute essay question was- 'what is the role of a Pharmacist and what qualities do you have that will attribute to this.
Then they'll put up a picture-ours was on a homeless man sat on a pavement with two dogs- and you have to discuss it with the lecturer as a group.
Good luck!

did the question look like this?
You need 100 ml of 200 mM phosphate buffer and you have two stock solutions from which you can make the buffer; 0.8 M NaH2PO4 (the acid form) and 0.8 M Na2HPO4 (the base form). You need to add 3 times more of the acid form than the base form to achieve the desired pH. How will you make this solution?
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by kiyubi
did the question look like this?
You need 100 ml of 200 mM phosphate buffer and you have two stock solutions from which you can make the buffer; 0.8 M NaH2PO4 (the acid form) and 0.8 M Na2HPO4 (the base form). You need to add 3 times more of the acid form than the base form to achieve the desired pH. How will you make this solution?

I think so. You could always ask your chemistry teacher for help.
Reply 42
I think so. You could always ask your chemistry teacher for help.

i have my interview this wednesday and am so scared, what did they do first? was it the tour,test,interview?
Reply 43
Original post by kiyubi
i have my interview this wednesday and am so scared, what did they do first? was it the tour,test,interview?

There's really no need to be scared, it's not that formal! First is the tour which is quite long, then lunch, then the test and essay, then the interview (informal chat) and then the group discussion.
Reply 44
There's really no need to be scared, it's not that formal! First is the tour which is quite long, then lunch, then the test and essay, then the interview (informal chat) and then the group discussion.

aaah i see, will they ask any ethical issues?
and when they ask you what are you so not good at what would i say, coz i only know positives, also was there nothing else in the test appart from the conversions and the buffer question?
thank you so much i appreciate it
Reply 45
Original post by kiyubi
aaah i see, will they ask any ethical issues?
and when they ask you what are you so not good at what would i say, coz i only know positives, also was there nothing else in the test appart from the conversions and the buffer question?
thank you so much i appreciate it

The group discussion will be on an ethical image which you will have to comment on. I said I won't be so good complicated biological mechanisms. And I said I won't be so good at the practical aspect of being a pharmacist(e.g. taking blood samples). There will be other basic maths calculations.
Reply 46
The group discussion will be on an ethical image which you will have to comment on. I said I won't be so good complicated biological mechanisms. And I said I won't be so good at the practical aspect of being a pharmacist(e.g. taking blood samples). There will be other basic maths calculations.

aww thanks a lot, sorry for being a bother by the way youve been a great help:biggrin: am learning my essay lol just got the last bit and then am gonna recap conversions, thank you:rolleyes: by the way last question was there any finding volume area or anything like that?
also when doing the test do they put you on seperate desks?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by kiyubi
aww thanks a lot, sorry for being a bother by the way youve been a great help:biggrin: am learning my essay lol just got the last bit and then am gonna recap conversions, thank you:rolleyes: by the way last question was there any finding volume area or anything like that?
also when doing the test do they put you on seperate desks?

You're welcome :smile:
Nope, there will be nothing on volume, but simple conversions from l-ml and g-miligrams. You won't be put on separate desks but you will be told to spread out (3 people on a square table)
good luck!
Reply 48
Nope, there will be nothing on volume, but simple conversions from l-ml and g-miligrams. You won't be put on separate desks but you will be told to spread out (3 people on a square table)
good luck!

oh ok, thanks a lot youre a star! and sorry for wasting your time, youre very helpful i appreciate it:smile:
Reply 49
good luck!

will they give a calculator during the maths test?:rolleyes: or can I use my scientific calculator
Reply 50
good luck!

They brought us the same essay as yours, but not the same test, nd they brought a picture of a woman lying in a car trying to get attention nd he told us to comment on it, nd also he brought a girl sniffing cannabis nd we had to comment on that too, also who interviewed you, mine was a man with brown hair blue eyes nd glasses he was funny heh:biggrin:
Original post by kiyubi
They brought us the same essay as yours, but not the same test, nd they brought a picture of a woman lying in a car trying to get attention nd he told us to comment on it, nd also he brought a girl sniffing cannabis nd we had to comment on that too, also who interviewed you, mine was a man with brown hair blue eyes nd glasses he was funny heh:biggrin:

Hey! Regarding the images of people, do you just have to say what you see (literally) or is there a ethical question with it? :smile:

EVERYONE Thanks for the other tips :biggrin: they really do help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by WorldPharmacist
Hey! Regarding the images of people, do you just have to say what you see (literally) or is there a ethical question with it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its just a discussion about the image. You can say what you want.
I didnt say ANYTHING but still got an offer :/
Not everybody spoke
Reply 53
Original post by kiyubi
will they give a calculator during the maths test?:rolleyes: or can I use my scientific calculator

They will give you a calculator but it wont be scientific
Original post by Nabihah
Its just a discussion about the image. You can say what you want.
I didnt say ANYTHING but still got an offer :/
Not everybody spoke

Thanks for the reply! :smile: and well done for getting an offer! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by kiyubi

Oh, that must have been hard to discuss!
I was interviewed by a really skinny French woman called Egle.
Is uclan your first choice?
Reply 56
Oh, that must have been hard to discuss!
I was interviewed by a really skinny French woman called Egle.
Is uclan your first choice?

yh lol! i dont hv any ideas on these stuff lol! yh am thinking of putting it as my firm, i got an offer of ABB from them tday lol:biggrin: and huddersfield as my insurance:biggrin:
wbu?
Reply 57

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh just tell them what would you do if you saw her, as a pharmacist is concerned, i said as a pharmacist i would be concerened about anyone who is trying to harm their health,so i would advice her to go home and start studying for pharmacy, the interviewer laughed lol! just be yourself dont try to be funny or serious be both, nd say your opinion:biggrin: good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kiyubi
yh just tell them what would you do if you saw her, as a pharmacist is concerned, i said as a pharmacist i would be concerened about anyone who is trying to harm their health,so i would advice her to go home and start studying for pharmacy, the interviewer laughed lol! just be yourself dont try to be funny or serious be both, nd say your opinion:biggrin: good luck!

Thank yooou! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59

also the test involved a question about finding concentration that has units ml and millimoles
basically ml=cm^3 and mol=mmol/1000
and they asked if you have a renal failure which organ would it affect, and what is penicillin used for
when is your interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending