The Student Room Group

Modules combination in A-level Maths and AS Further Maths on the results day

Hi GUys

Basically I was wondering about what happens on the results day with the modules combination. I am doing A-level Mathematics (C1-C4, D1, M1) and AS Further Mathematics (FP1, S1-S2). I have heard that the exam board combines modules in the way that you will get the best possible grade for A-level Mathematics. So let's say I got

4 As C1-C4 but 2 E's in D1 and M1. Also 3 As in FP1 and S1-S2. So it all comes down to a B in A-level Mathematics and an A in AS Further Mathematics. But if they combined it in the way that you will get the maximum possible grade for the A-level Mathematics, does it mean they will take S1 and/or S2 from the AS Further Mathematics and swap it with the D1 and/or M1 from the A-level Mathematics? Did I understand it correctly? Does it happen automatically?

Cheers
Original post by benq
Hi GUys

Basically I was wondering about what happens on the results day with the modules combination. I am doing A-level Mathematics (C1-C4, D1, M1) and AS Further Mathematics (FP1, S1-S2). I have heard that the exam board combines modules in the way that you will get the best possible grade for A-level Mathematics. So let's say I got

4 As C1-C4 but 2 E's in D1 and M1. Also 3 As in FP1 and S1-S2. So it all comes down to a B in A-level Mathematics and an A in AS Further Mathematics. But if they combined it in the way that you will get the maximum possible grade for the A-level Mathematics, does it mean they will take S1 and/or S2 from the AS Further Mathematics and swap it with the D1 and/or M1 from the A-level Mathematics? Did I understand it correctly? Does it happen automatically?

Cheers

The exam roughly combines modules so you get the highest grade in maths but it's actually your school who does the actual ordering.
Reply 2
Original post by benq
Hi GUys

Cheers

It happens automatically and is done by the examiners before results are announced. The 9 unit results will be combined in the way that gives you the best possible grade in maths within the combination rules of the syllabus and what is left will be used for the AS in FM. In your example this could mean that only S1 needs to be swapped so you achieve 480 UMS for an A/A* or could require both. If you want/need to, Your exams officer can request a specific combination after results day, if for example it has resulted in you achieving U in the AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
It happens automatically and is done by the examiners before results are announced. The 9 unit results will be combined in the way that gives you the best possible grade in maths within the combination rules of the syllabus and what is left will be used for the AS in FM. In your example this could mean that only S1 needs to be swapped so you achieve 480 UMS for an A/A* or could require both. If you want/need to, Your exams officer can request a specific combination after results day, if for example it has resulted in you achieving U in the AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I got an offer that asks for an A in Maths then It will be confirmed automatically even though with the orionaly intended module combination I would get a B for A-level and an A for AS?
Reply 4
Yes

As long as your exam entries have been done correctly

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest