The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

changing course

Hi, I received 2 offers from Exeter University, for very similar courses. I accepted one offer but wish now that i had accepted the other offer. Neither course is in clearing. Does that mean i will not be able to change my course. I am confident i will get the grades i need for either course. Thanks for your help.
They might be willing to swap you. Call them ASAP, don’t wait for AL results day/clearing.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
They might be willing to swap you. Call them ASAP, don’t wait for AL results day/clearing.

Thank you, what i am worried about is that although i think i have done really well, my offer is abc on the course i accepted and bbb on the course i want, but i am doing further maths and that is always the one that you never know how you are going to do and accepting a course with a c grade to allow for further maths seemed like a safer option.

The course i want is computer science but i have accepted computer science with mathematics. Do you think as they are so similar, they would be able to drop the maths side even if the computer science course itself was full? thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, what i am worried about is that although i think i have done really well, my offer is abc on the course i accepted and bbb on the course i want, but i am doing further maths and that is always the one that you never know how you are going to do and accepting a course with a c grade to allow for further maths seemed like a safer option.

The course i want is computer science but i have accepted computer science with mathematics. Do you think as they are so similar, they would be able to drop the maths side even if the computer science course itself was full? thanks

They should allow a course swap if the degrees are similar enough. One things to also keep in mind is that they often allow course changes early on in the year, especially if you’re swapping within departments/to a similar course. I swapped from Maths & Physics to CompSci & Maths after my first year, so if you do have any questions about course swapping while at uni, lmk
Hi, I received 2 offers from Exeter University, for very similar courses. I accepted one offer but wish now that i had accepted the other offer. Neither course is in clearing. Does that mean i will not be able to change my course. I am confident i will get the grades i need for either course. Thanks for your help.

Hi! This sort of thing differs on a case-by-case basis, depending on how full each of the courses are. If you haven't already got in touch with the Admissions Office, I would recommend you do so as soon as you can - all the contact information for Admissions is on this page. I would recommend phoning up as it is a relatively time-sensitive case.

I can see that you would like to switch from Computer Science with Mathematics to straight Computer Science - I made a similar move myself in my first year from Politics and Sociology to straight Sociology. However, this is definitely not guaranteed for every course as it depends on whether there is room on the modules. If it turns out you're not able to do switch, don't despair as there might be a few ways to tailor your degree more towards your interests. On a lot of courses at Exeter you are able to choose several modules from other disciplines - you may choose some that interest you more in place of some optional maths modules. I am not familiar with your degree programme so cannot advise you on which modules you can and cannot swap, but this is something that your Academic Personal Tutor will be able to help you with. Everybody is assigned a tutor when they start at Exeter, who is usually a teacher within your discipline and will be able to advise you with matters such as this. My tutor was really helpful when I was making the switch over my courses and yours should be able to help you with getting the most out of your degree choices. In the meantime, this page has some information on interdisciplinary modularity.

We also have a chat function on our website where you can talk to current students on your course - there might be some Computer Science and Maths students who help you with any further questions should it be that you cannot switch.

In short, whether or not you are able to switch course, from my experience I would say it is quite likely that you will be able to enjoy and shape a degree that you love :smile:

Nina
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Hi, I just received my CAIE A-Levels results yesterday. Did anyone experience getting lower grades than required for Bsc COMP SCI at Exeter and still got in?

context;
Offer: AAA
Actual: AAB, B is 79
Entry req published on the website: AAA-AAB
Clearing for this specific course: BBC
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
where do you see the availability for clearing??
Original post by em4nz_
where do you see the availability for clearing??

In preparation for A Levels results day are clearing availability has been taken down as we make our final decisions on whose places we can confirm. At 8am on Thursday (BST) you will be able to see our up to date offer here.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending