The Student Room Group
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University

Optometry and Orthoptics 2014

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone here has or will be apply to Glasgow Cali to study Optometry or Orthoptics? :smile:

PS: if there are any current students studying any of these courses could you kindly comment below or pm me I'm needing some help! Thanks!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I've applied to both optometry and orthoptics at Glasgow Are you thinking of applying too? :smile:
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University
Reply 2
Hey ! A reply finally and yup applying for both but really worried about not getting any offer hence I'm really confused whether or not to tweak my Personal statement a bit and apply for bio Med as well :s-smilie: :s-smilie: !!

Have you submitted your application in ?
How you feeling about it ?

Original post by Harkiran :D
Hey, I've applied to both optometry and orthoptics at Glasgow Are you thinking of applying too? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by itsGrand131415
Hey ! A reply finally and yup applying for both but really worried about not getting any offer hence I'm really confused whether or not to tweak my Personal statement a bit and apply for bio Med as well :s-smilie: :s-smilie: !!

Have you submitted your application in ?
How you feeling about it ?

Hey, I sent my application nearly a month ago and I got offers for both, which I was really pleased about because my personal statement was specifically for optometry only. :smile:
Reply 4
Well my p.s is the exact same all about optometry but should I include a little about orthoptics?? Also mind if I ask what you got for your higher?

Oh and what were your offers? Plus congratulations!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well my p.s is the exact same all about optometry but should I include a little about orthoptics?? Also mind if I ask what you got for your higher?

Oh and what were your offers? Plus congratulations!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't mention orthoptics at all, but they gave me an offer anyway? I got BBB in my as-levels and I got an optometry offer for AAB and for orthoptics they offered me BBB. How were your grades? :smile:
Reply 6
Oh nice! See I emailed the admission office and they told me you need to mention both courses and show your understanding of it?:s-smilie: hence initially my personal statement is only focused in optometry. Your applying from england? Well I got in my highers 3 As a B and a C .. their okay grades but I'm worried on whether or not I could get an offer :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi I can't comment on doing either of the courses at Glasgow but I'm currently in my final year if orthoptics at liverpool so if you have any questions about the course content etc then I'd be happy to help.

I would definitely make sure you make sure you discuss orthoptics in your personal statement. That must have been really lucky for somebody to get an offer for it without mentioning it so I'd be safe! I know at liverpool they like to see that you know the differences between orthoptics and optometry too as it's surprising how many people don't really know what orthoptists do.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Oh nice! See I emailed the admission office and they told me you need to mention both courses and show your understanding of it?:s-smilie: hence initially my personal statement is only focused in optometry. Your applying from england? Well I got in my highers 3 As a B and a C .. their okay grades but I'm worried on whether or not I could get an offer :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon you should just go for it! :smile: that's what I did. I was panicking when I sent my form off to ucas, will I get an offer or not? You can only wait and hope for the best. Oh and I'm applying from Northern Ireland :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Harkiran :D
I reckon you should just go for it! :smile: that's what I did. I was panicking when I sent my form off to ucas, will I get an offer or not? You can only wait and hope for the best. Oh and I'm applying from Northern Ireland :smile:

Thanks for your reply and I've spoke to my head of year and she said apply for both and have biomed as your back up but you don't have to mention it in your Personal Statement as the admission officers will know that the course your applying for it competitive and there's only one Optometry course in Scotland. Hopefully it'll be fine and good luck with the future !!
Reply 10
Hey, I will be going next year :biggrin: just got an unconditional. If anyone is wondering / waiting for an unconditional this is what I got and did; Higher (revised) Physics A, Higher (revised) Chemistry B, Higher English B, Higher Business Management A, Higher Mathematics A. I have also had two work experiences in opticians and my personal statement was solely focused on optometry. Hope this helps put some of you at rest :biggrin: good luck guys
Hey congrats on your offer!! I got 3 As a B and a C so I'm off by one B :frown: hoping then to get a conditional offer !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: If you look on ucas they have changed it to 3 Bs and 2 As, I phoned cali to confirm this and it is true they just haven't got round to changing it on their website. So there is hope of an unconditional :biggrin: im sure you will get a conditional at least and I hope to see you on the course in September.
Wait so its 3Bs and 2 As now? On the web its 3 As and 2 Bs so confusing :s-smilie: but thanks I really hope so to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by overtherim
Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: If you look on ucas they have changed it to 3 Bs and 2 As, I phoned cali to confirm this and it is true they just haven't got round to changing it on their website. So there is hope of an unconditional :biggrin: im sure you will get a conditional at least and I hope to see you on the course in September.

Wait so its 3Bs and 2 As now? On the web its 3 As and 2 Bs so confusing but thanks I really hope so to
Reply 15
HI all
Im British citizen graduated from iraq in medicine.
I applied for B520 /Orthoptics .They asked me to do IELTS WITH OVERALL ALL BAND 7 AND 6.5 MINIMUM!!

Anybody can advice ?

Mahmood
Hiya :smile: ive confirmed my offer for optometry at GCU starting this september. I don't know anyone else doing the course so I was just wanting to talk to someone else who's thinking of doing optometry as well. I'm also thinking of moving into halls (has to be private as i live too close for the uni ones) so was just wondering where everyone else was going if they were moving into halls?

Hope you guys are all getting the offers you want, thanks for any replies.

Just feeling a little nervous, and totally excited, about all this new stuff happening :P
Hiya :smile: I've confirmed my offer for GCU optometry 2014. I started a new post before i saw this... Oops :P Anyway, i was just wondering who else is doing optometry and who is moving into the halls for first year? I'm looking at either Buchanan view or Victoria, and swaying towards Victoria.

Just looking to see who else is going because I don't know anyone else on the course and am nervous and excited at the same time.

Thanks x
Reply 18
Hello! I have firmed my unconditional for optometry at Glasgow Caledonian and want to know more. Does anyone know when classes are or any other useful information for myself and others studying optometry :biggrin: thanks in advance
I've merged a couple of threads for Optometry for GCU 2014, so you should all be able to talk to each other easier now! :smile:

To start, where are you all coming from? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending