The Student Room Group

Vitamin C A2 Chemistry Coursework! HELP!

For my A2 Chemistry coursework, I am thinking about doing the purity of a vitamin C tablet. Only problem is I cant seem to find any past examples and the school doesnt have any either! I'm unsure whether this would be a good topic to do as I would ideally need an A. Any help?!:confused:
Measuring purity of vitamin C would be a bit of an undertaking but not impossible at A level. You would need to ask your school's chemistry lab very kindly to acquire some dichlorophenolindophenol (DCPIP) which you could use in a titration to ascertain the concentration of ascorbic acid in solution. There are still other ways to do it, but I think this would be the easiest thing to do.

One of the confounding variables you will need to consider is that Vitamin C will quite readily decompose over time and under certain conditions (e.g. moderate heat). Comparisons of different manufacturer's purity of tablets may be limited due to this variable, especially if they were each manufactured at different times to one another.

If you need any further help please don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Reply 2
Google for vitamin C iodine titration, no need for fancy indicators.

Quick Reply

Latest