The Student Room Group

Retinol

I'm a 19 year old man turning 20 in October I've recently started to take care of my skin more. I wanted to ask I got 0 clue about retinol should I use it if so what should I look for any good brands?
Reply 1
I don't think you need retinol at your age, just a good all round moisturiser. No 7 is great, they do a mens range.
Reply 2
Original post by Stephers75!
I don't think you need retinol at your age, just a good all round moisturiser. No 7 is great, they do a mens range.

Its mainly bcause I have acne so I thought thats what its for. WHat about vitamin c and niacinamide should I use them?
Reply 3
I'm not sure I'm afraid although you can get acne treatment on prescription if you need it?
i highly recommend a good moisturiser, hylauronic acid, viatmin c and sunscreen. thats really all u need at ur age unless u have textured skin and have dark acne scars, then retinol or Tranexamic Acid would do
If u start taking retinol, it should only be applied at night. u need to apply a very thin layer, and only apply once a week for a while to build up a tolerance and then u can do twice a week.
You need to wear sunscreen the next few days if u applied retinol the day before, as u will ruin ur skin.
I highly reccomend la roche-posay products, esp the retinol one as the tube lasts me a year lol.

If you have light acne, then i'd say improve ur skins hydration using hyaluronic acid and use sunscreen everyday. If its real bad acne then u need to go to a dermatologist
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
I wouldn't waste your money on all the hyped products for your skin. It is all clever slick marketing, and you end up washing your money down the drain. Stand back and look at the money the brand beauty products make! By the time you realise you are wasting your money it is too late - you have wasted it and some CEO and board members will be giving it large on their £££ yacht. Never have botox, fillers, implants. The damage and the sag in later life is dreadful (& for what?) Your genetics are probably the only indicator of longevity of life and of skin tone. Have happiness and laughter in your life as that shows in your face.

Wash your face with a simple soap and water to remove dirt and debris and rinse really well with tepid water. Use a non greasy moisturiser and that will be far better regime on your looks and your wallet.

The best you can ever do is look after your skin from the inside at cellular level. Drink water and lots of it (in the UK from the tap) or any other safe source. Have a diet full of unprocessed foods. All fruits, all veg, a small amount of protein and then get your circulation moving. Walk, run, jog, cycle and get the blood circulation going. You will see your skin circulation start to glow. Those are the amazing results you can get for very little outlay.
Reply 6
Original post by thegoldenkimpa
i highly recommend a good moisturiser, hylauronic acid, viatmin c and sunscreen. thats really all u need at ur age unless u have textured skin and have dark acne scars, then retinol or Tranexamic Acid would do
If u start taking retinol, it should only be applied at night. u need to apply a very thin layer, and only apply once a week for a while to build up a tolerance and then u can do twice a week.
You need to wear sunscreen the next few days if u applied retinol the day before, as u will ruin ur skin.
I highly reccomend la roche-posay products, esp the retinol one as the tube lasts me a year lol.

If you have light acne, then i'd say improve ur skins hydration using hyaluronic acid and use sunscreen everyday. If its real bad acne then u need to go to a dermatologist

I'm prescribed benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin for acne it's helping I use the cerave moisturizer and Bondi sands SPF. What vitamin c do u recommend skincare is so expensive aswel lol 😂
Reply 7
hey I used to have very mild acne, I used benzoyl peroxide and a mild moisturiser and it cleared my skin up completely! If that doesn't work for you I highly recommend anything salicylic acid- for example, the salicylic acid cleanser by the inky list is great, and if you have any hyperpigmentation or dark spots the inky list do a serum called tranexamic serum- so you can do the cleanser, the serum and then finish off with a light moisturiser! However the serum is quite expensive and you can try niacinamide serums which should also have the same affect and much cheaper- but I found for me that the tranexamix serum worked best. Remember to always wear something SPF too and make sure it's specific to the face and not oily as that can cause you to break out more! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm prescribed benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin for acne it's helping I use the cerave moisturizer and Bondi sands SPF. What vitamin c do u recommend skincare is so expensive aswel lol 😂
Reply 8
Original post by bmedic
hey I used to have very mild acne, I used benzoyl peroxide and a mild moisturiser and it cleared my skin up completely! If that doesn't work for you I highly recommend anything salicylic acid- for example, the salicylic acid cleanser by the inky list is great, and if you have any hyperpigmentation or dark spots the inky list do a serum called tranexamic serum- so you can do the cleanser, the serum and then finish off with a light moisturiser! However the serum is quite expensive and you can try niacinamide serums which should also have the same affect and much cheaper- but I found for me that the tranexamix serum worked best. Remember to always wear something SPF too and make sure it's specific to the face and not oily as that can cause you to break out more! :smile:

what kind of skin type do you have if you don't mind me asking also can I apply the serum after my duac (benzoyl peroxide) at night? Is that a vitamin c serum what does it do exactly?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
what kind of skin type do you have if you don't mind me asking also can I apply the serum after my duac (benzoyl peroxide) at night? Is that a vitamin c serum what does it do exactly?

i have oily, acne prone skin! There is no vitamin c in the serum just the tranexamix acid, it helps clear hyperpigmentation and any dark spots you have left over from previous acne- i would recommend doing the serum and duac separately- so you apply the duac after cleansing and wait 10 mins until it’s dried then apply the serum to ensure it doesn’t restrict the effect of the duac then go straight in with moisturizer!

Quick Reply

Latest