The Student Room Group

U.S. Air Force Major General goes to Russia, drinks lots, meets hot babes, loses job

Air Force Major General Michael Carey recently lost his job commanding all land-based U.S. nuclear missiles after Pentagon investigators concluded he drank too much and cavorted with “suspect” women last July during an official three-day trip to Russia.

Carey’s career crashed and burned while he was serving as leader of a U.S. delegation participating with Russian counterparts on a nuclear-security exercise, according to a report released Thursday by the Air Force inspector general. The Air Force removed him in October as commander of the 20th Air Force, where he oversaw the 450 Minuteman missiles spread across five states and the 9,600 people who operate and maintain them. The report’s release is the latest embarrassment for the Air Force’s nuclear branch.

Carey’s behavior on the trip upset a woman who complained about his behavior “to her leadership.” The woman, whose name was blacked out of the 44-page report, is on the staff of Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel. The training exercise, which focused on the safe transport of nuclear weapons over land, took place at Sergeiv Posad, about 60 miles north of Moscow.

Investigators interviewed eight people who made the trip, which was pretty much the entire U.S. team. “Maj Gen Carey’s account of events varied greatly at times from those of the other US members on the trip,” the IG report said. “The IO [investigating officer] reviewed all of the testimony associated with the investigation and determined that Maj Gen Carey was generally less credible than the other witnesses.”

The embarrassment began even before Carey reached Russia, surfacing as members of the U.S. delegation were delayed in Zurich July 14 while on their way to Moscow. One member of the U.S. team told investigators that “Maj Gen Carey was visibly agitated about the long delay at Zurich, he appeared drunk and, in the public area, talked loudly about the importance of his position as commander of the only operational nuclear force in the world and that he saves the world from war every day.”

http://swampland.time.com/2013/12/19/air-force-major-general-michael-carey-loses-job-for-drunken-antics/
Reply 1
...are you asking us a question?
Original post by thePatron
...are you asking us a question?

No, I'm just posting a news article which I found interesting:confused:
Reply 3
Original post by IdeasForLife

thanks. it was interesting.
Original post by thePatron
thanks. it was interesting.

Sarcasm ? :biggrin:
Airman goes abroad to a hostile country. Gets drunk, acts like a dick and opens himself up to potential blackmail.

Happens everywhere.
Weird one, but I guess he is privy to sensitive information and has expectations to match his pay grade and position.
Reply 7
Sarcasm ? :biggrin:

Nah, I wasn't being sarcastic, I just initially wondered if you were asking for our opinion on this and what not. You said what you said, and then I concluded with thanks it was interested, because it indeed was interesting. I'd have to point out that I read about this some time ago, so I really don't think this is recent news. But Im happy you pointed it out, good to see more people looking into these issues. If you catch my drift.
Reply 8

You know that I live at Sergiev Posad?
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Weird one, but I guess he is privy to sensitive information and has expectations to match his pay grade and position.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians use attractive female agents to extract information out of gullible Westerners but I wonder how much disinformation they end up with.

I can just imagine a private taking a girl back to his bed.

"So...soldier....vat is your rank handsome?"

"Errrrrr....I'm Colonel BigBalls of the 7th Mobile Infantry Stealth Tank Division at your service Ma'm"

"ohhh a real Colonel (giggle)....tell me more, vat is your job? vy you here in mother Russia??"
Original post by Paul PTS
You know that I live at Sergiev Posad?

No sorry I didn't.

Should I have?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians use attractive female agents to extract information out of gullible Westerners but I wonder how much disinformation they end up with.

I can just imagine a private taking a girl back to his bed.

"So...soldier....vat is your rank handsome?"

"Errrrrr....I'm Colonel BigBalls of the 7th Mobile Infantry Stealth Tank Division at your service Ma'm"

"ohhh a real Colonel (giggle)....tell me more, vat is your job? vy you here in mother Russia??"

"I bet you have a big missile ya?"

"Oh hell yeah I do babey.."

"oh haha naughty boy! ....also those biiig nuclear missiles you're in charge of ALL of them? WOOOW such a strong man! ....how many do you have?"

:cool:
Original post by joey11223
"I bet you have a big missile ya?"

"Oh hell yeah I do babey.."

"oh haha naughty boy! ....also those biiig nuclear missiles you're in charge of ALL of them? WOOOW such a strong man! ....how many do you have?"

:cool:

"Well ma'am I've got a weapon of mass destruction armed and loaded right now and I'll give you full access to inspect it, now why don't you show me how you can disarm it and make the world a safer place :sexface:"
Reply 13
Another victim of Obama's purge. You can find a list of high ranking officers he dismissed on the Internet. What it means is weakening US military leadership(possibly purging people who are not going along with plan) and empowering Department of Homeland Security who report directly to Obama. Reminds me of Hitler..
Reply 14
that's the way to go
Reply 15
Original post by Valentas
Another victim of Obama's purge. You can find a list of high ranking officers he dismissed on the Internet. What it means is weakening US military leadership(possibly purging people who are not going along with plan) and empowering Department of Homeland Security who report directly to Obama. Reminds me of Hitler..

He's the maker of his own misery, this general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending