The Student Room Group
I have a Qur'an.

It's called 'The meaning of The Holy Qur'an'. It's an English Translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali. Pretty easy to read as it's meant to be the new modern english edition. :smile:
Hafzal
Have u got any reccomendations on interpretations that are more modern.

Thank You!

I'm reading Interpretation of the Meaning of The Noble Qur'an by Dr. Muhammed Taki Ud Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammed Muhsin Khan.

It's published by Darussalam, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Reply 15262
FarahPearls
No they dont do it to be different to anyone, they break their fast 10mins after because they believe that it should be darker . So for e.g. that if you had a white thread, you couldnt tell if it was white or not. "They" do ramazaan when the moon is sighted, not when they hear it from someone for e.g., what is wrong with accuracy. I started it the same time as alot of sunnis i know, doesnt mean that this rooted from Him being the caliph, why are you forming these assumptions? Neway i was just clarifiying that because i am shia.

Asalaama Alaiqum

Sorry to be offensive or aggressive in any way. But I don't know how to tackle the shia-sunni issue. There should be no shia or sunna... it is one religion, Islam.
o0MorseyMan0o
Sorry to be offensive or aggressive in any way. But I don't know how to tackle the shia-sunni issue. There should be no shia or sunna... it is one religion, Islam.

I totally agree. In my area, Sunni's started fasting on sundays and Shia's started on saturday. Meaning there will be 2 Eids again. Its disgusting. I blame the Imams - No communication between different sects.
Speaking of Eid...EidUl-Adha will be on December 31st ( i think)
Hafzal
I totally agree. In my area, Sunni's started fasting on sundays and Shia's started on saturday. Meaning there will be 2 Eids again. Its disgusting. I blame the Imams - No communication between different sects.

T'was the other way round but only in a few countries.
I do too. I don't understand how two Muslims can stand on the same land, one claim that he can see the hilaal why the other claims not to see it. As per my knowledge Saudi Arabia's Sunni and Shia population both fasted on the same day, but sadly I can't say the same for Lebanon and Iraq. It's sad that now when we need to remain as united as ever, we're divided like never before.

PS- Your sig. isn't exactly truthful. :cool: :wink:
mizfissy815
T'was the other way round but only in a few countries.
I do too. I don't understand how two Muslims can stand on the same land, one claim that he can see the hilaal why the other claims not to see it. As per my knowledge Saudi Arabia's Sunni and Shia population both fasted on the same day, but sadly I can't say the same for Lebanon and Iraq. It's sad that now when we need to remain as united as ever, we're divided like never before.

PS- Your sig. isn't exactly truthful. :cool: :wink:

Assalamu Alaikum,
I suppose that's how some want to be though. I mean, we can't force them to fast in synchronisation can we? :confused: Unless there's a willing solution...
Nevatary
I have a Qur'an.

It's called 'The meaning of The Holy Qur'an'. It's an English Translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali. Pretty easy to read as it's meant to be the new modern english edition. :smile:
I'm impressed :biggrin:
The Green Manalishi
Assalamu Alaikum everyone, i can't sleep! I've got a topic...

You know sometimes we all have our moments of doubt and despair, what does one do to feel Allah (SWT)? To bring back that closeness to deen? :smile:

Personally, I make a conscious effort to wait for Salaat-al-Fajr, and after praying it and Sunnah, I read Quraan till it's time for Duha prayer/or school. There was period of time, a long time ago mind, that although I never actually did anything haraam, I just felt disconnected with my religion. I hadn't noticed it but when I did, my word, I don't think I've ever cried that hard. I just wept for hours, until I got up for Fajr and Sunnah, read Quraan till I was too sleepy to keep my eyes open, and saying that I slept like a baby would be the understatement of the century.
justfarhan
I'm impressed :biggrin:

:redface: :smile:
Nevatary
:redface: :smile:
:hugs:?
justfarhan
:hugs:?

:hugs: + :smile:
Reply 15272
ISOC = :hugs:
yay :party: i agree with you there morsey :hugs:
just prayed taraweeh! im shattered :smile:
Marshallah sister. :smile:
o0MorseyMan0o

No i understand where your coming from but history has written itself that way so that the fact there are both is irreversible unles Allah wills so. The struggle is maintaining an ummah with so many subdivisions, but this life is a struggle and that is a main point in my opinion. I realise that it is an "issue" but it is something we need to educate ourselves on, unite and accept, or if you/anyone reject it -we have a lack of unity to an extent.

One who causes mischief between sunni or shias is neither, because that is not what is taught in either.

Farah
Reply 15277
Salaamz all!

I hope and pray you are all well!
w/s! I.A you are too :smile:
Reply 15279
FarahPearls
No i understand where your coming from but history has written itself that way so that the fact there are both is irreversible unles Allah wills so. The struggle is maintaining an ummah with so many subdivisions, but this life is a struggle and that is a main point in my opinion. I realise that it is an "issue" but it is something we need to educate ourselves on, unite and accept, or if you/anyone reject it -we have a lack of unity to an extent.

One who causes mischief between sunni or shias is neither, because that is not what is taught in either.

Farah

I find it very hard to understand why Islam is so spread out and scattered. i only recently became aware that we have 63 sects! apart from the whole sunni-shi'ite debate you have other sects who say Imam Mahdi has come and gone you have some who say it is not important to pray etc etc. We say islam stands for peace and unity but we as muslims do not have that unity and peace amongst our fellow brothers and sisters, so how can we proclaim that it is? I dare say it but is that not hypocritical? For example We dont start ramadan at the same time (1 day difference is understandable due to time difference but 3 days! :eek: ), we dont even break fast at the same time and this inevitably leads to eid being celebrated in different days to.

I find the whole concept very upsetting and i do not like it one bit. We should resolve the matters internally within our faith to make it stronger we need to show itihaad amongst ourselves.

Sorry if i have caused offence. :smile:

Latest