The Student Room Group

Pgce post or secondary

Hi, Long post ahead

I previously did a PGCE post compulsory in Film/Media but this was a very bad experience for me, as the university I was at did not find my a placement until January and then expected me to complete 5 modules and 150hrs of placement in 5 months. The placement I did get fell through, and I was convinced that I should come back in September to do the placement and complete the assignments/essays and have contact with my tutors through email and occasional visits to the university. Towards the end of the year my Dad was diagnosed with cancer so I did not complete all of the course.

Since then I have been working as an LSA at a school, for 16 months. I am in two minds about doing a pgce secondary or pgce post compulsory. If I do the pgce post compulsory its part time I am looking at because I feel that I could handle that better, all the pressure of having to do so much in such a little time put me off trying to do it in a year again. I never want that experience again, I think doing it part time will give me more control

I am really stuck on what to do, I want a fresh start and to give the pgce another go because I feel that I am in a good place and will be able to handle things a lot better. I do not regret not finishing the course because my Dad was much more important and so it was not even a contest.

What do people think? Should I give the pgce post compulsory another go, this is what I wanted to do when I left university or should I try the secondary pgce. ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED.
Reply 1
Original post by shukar
Hi, Long post ahead

I previously did a PGCE post compulsory in Film/Media but this was a very bad experience for me, as the university I was at did not find my a placement until January and then expected me to complete 5 modules and 150hrs of placement in 5 months. The placement I did get fell through, and I was convinced that I should come back in September to do the placement and complete the assignments/essays and have contact with my tutors through email and occasional visits to the university. Towards the end of the year my Dad was diagnosed with cancer so I did not complete all of the course.

Since then I have been working as an LSA at a school, for 16 months. I am in two minds about doing a pgce secondary or pgce post compulsory. If I do the pgce post compulsory its part time I am looking at because I feel that I could handle that better, all the pressure of having to do so much in such a little time put me off trying to do it in a year again. I never want that experience again, I think doing it part time will give me more control

I am really stuck on what to do, I want a fresh start and to give the pgce another go because I feel that I am in a good place and will be able to handle things a lot better. I do not regret not finishing the course because my Dad was much more important and so it was not even a contest.

What do people think? Should I give the pgce post compulsory another go, this is what I wanted to do when I left university or should I try the secondary pgce. ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED.

Your post seems to suggest that the secondary PGCE would be completely different to the post-compulsary, when in reality you won't find much difference in terms of workload between the post-compulsary and the secondary PGCE. So really its just a decision of which age range you want to teach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending