The Student Room Group

PGCE History and Teaching Agency work - Seeking Advice

Hi there all!

This is my first post here and it's a lil question or two, looking for some advice and guide and tips.

1) I'm looking to start a PGCE in Secondary History this upcoming September and am feeling nervous in terms of my subject knowledge! I already have a history degree but that was done a while back.

What advice do you guys have? When/How do you know you know enough? What is enough? What should I know?
I've been looking through the KS3/4 Specs, is that a good criteria/checklist?

2) Before I start said PGCE, I am looking to join teaching agencies and try get some experience in a classroom. I am looking to be a cover/supply teacher in secondary schools, through an agency.

Any advice? Anything to remember? Any Do's and Don'ts? I've never done anything like it, so all and any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks all <3
Original post by ATwenty7
Hi there all!

This is my first post here and it's a lil question or two, looking for some advice and guide and tips.

1) I'm looking to start a PGCE in Secondary History this upcoming September and am feeling nervous in terms of my subject knowledge! I already have a history degree but that was done a while back.

What advice do you guys have? When/How do you know you know enough? What is enough? What should I know?

2) Before I start said PGCE, I am looking to join teaching agencies and try get some experience in a classroom. I am looking to be a cover/supply teacher in secondary schools, through an agency.

Any advice? Anything to remember? Any Do's and Don'ts? I've never done anything like it, so all and any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks all <3
Hi @ATwenty7

Great questions!

I am starting my PGCE in September, and the interview process was quite daunting, however, despite not knowing all the answers to the subject knowledge questions, they still wanted me for my teaching skills and general attitude.

Definitly look at the GCSE specs, and sometimes they ask for you to look at the A Level specs.

If it has been a while since studying History they might ask you to do a skills enhancement course first. This is a great way to brush up on your history knowledge and start your PGCE with much more confidence. It is for the uni/school to decide this for you. They may decide that you have enough knowledge for them to work with.

I would apply and attend interviews.

Good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by ATwenty7
Hi there all!
Thanks all <3
Hi @ATwenty7 ,

it sounds like you are doing the right things in terms of looking at the national curriculum and exam specs. A good way to make it a little bit more palatable is to look at BBC bitesize website.
Unfortunately, subject knowledge enhancement courses do not exist for History so it relies on you to brush up on your knowledge.
If you are looking to apply for September 2024, I would suggest you register for a teaching adviser. They will support you through the application and interview process and it is a free service. All our advisers are experienced teachers. To get an adviser, click here.
All the best with your application.

Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending