The Student Room Group

Good Songs for the Bass Guitar

I received a bass guitar for Christmas and I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to recommend me any good bass tracks?

I already know a few things such as "Cygnus X-1", "Xanadu", "Money", "Walking on the Moon", "Locked Out of Heaven" and "The Chain", but I was wondering if there were any bass lines that are often overlooked that are both fun and challenging to play.

Quick Edit: I am currently learning "Hysteria". I just need to get it up to speed!
(edited 10 years ago)
some more Rush

Reply 2
miley cyrus we cant stop <3
Reply 3
Original post by + polarity -
some more Rush

One can never have too much Rush!
Reply 4
Hysteria by Muse is an obvious one. Which reminds me, I really must get playing my bass again in the new year :biggrin:
Reply 5
My Generation - The Who
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
Got the Time - Anthrax
Red Hot Chilli Peppers are popular for bass
Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
Hysteria - Muse
Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin

That's all I have from the top of my head
Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth) - Metallica
Reply 7
Original post by __Adam__
My Generation - The Who
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
Got the Time - Anthrax
Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
Hysteria - Muse
Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin

That's all I have from the top of my head

I'll definitely check those you, thanks. :smile:
Sorry, that song was pretty difficult. Tom Sawyer was one of the first ones I learnt and it's not too hard. Someone was bound to mention Hysteria, and it's all right but pretty boring.

When I think about good bass songs, Rush is certainly one of the first bands that comes to mind. Earth Wind & Fire is also a good one, albeit a different genre (some possible choices: September, In the Stone, Brazilian Rhyme/Beijo). If you wanted to go prog metal I think some of Dream Theater's older songs have some nice bass, while their more recent songs are still good in terms of bass but JMX sounds a bit robotic at times, you know what I mean (though I should add, Constant Motion was one of the first songs I tried to learn)? Or perhaps some Gordian Knot? Or Cynic?

Have you ever heard of Evan Brewer? He's the bassist in The Faceless but he has a couple of solo albums, which are quite interesting. I'd say his work with The Faceless would be much easier to learn though :laugh:

There are lots of other possibilities popping into my head, but I suppose it depends on what music you like :biggrin:

:sogood:
Reply 10
I liked Hysteria, first song I learnt on bass. Queen songs are a good place to look as well.
Original post by __Adam__

yeeeeah

I'll stop now.

btw this guy is QUITE SIK
Reply 12
[video="youtube;CbeNRHtpgOk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbeNRHtpgOk[/video]

The best.
Original post by Olie
Hysteria by Muse is an obvious one. Which reminds me, I really must get playing my bass again in the new year :biggrin:

This. Seriously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm_5qWWDV8
Reply 14
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
I received a bass guitar for Christmas and I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to recommend me any good bass tracks?

I already know a few things such as "Cygnus X-1", "Xanadu", "Money", "Walking on the Moon", "Locked Out of Heaven" and "The Chain", but I was wondering if there were any bass lines that are often overlooked that are both fun and challenging to play.

Quick Edit: I am currently learning "Hysteria". I just need to get it up to speed!

Barbarism Begins at Home by The Smiths. Ace bass solo, but importantly it isn't all that hard to play.

Debaser or Tame by The Pixies.
I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses.
No Love Lost by Joy Division
Start! by The Jam
Disintegration by The Cure
Reply 15
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam

Hey!

Red Hot Chili Peppers songs are great for bass players, Flea is a phenomenal bassist. Here are some great songs to check out:

1.) Charlie (from the album Stadium Arcadium) - this is a great song to get your rhythmic phrasing and right hand finger strength up; the whole thing is played pizzicato and there's a lot of semi-quaver rhythms and dead notes in there!

2.) Higher Ground (from the album Mother's Milk) - this song was originally written by Stevie Wonder, anyway, this song primarily uses a slap technique across an octave shape which will help improve your slap technique and the strength in your fretting hand fingers

3.) Give It Away (from the album Blood Sugar Sex Magik) - the bass line on this track is absolutely gorgeous, and one of the only songs that uses the entire fretboard effectively.

4.) Suck My Kiss (from the album Blood Sugar Sex Magik) - another huge bass line, this has a couple of nice fast triplet hammer ons and pull offs (legato)

5.) Look Around (from the album I'm With You) - another one to strengthen your fretting hand, the chorus is based around a G octave whilst the verses have a ton of awesome fills. This track will also help you develop a really tight staccato technique

6.) Over Funk (a bonus track from the album Califorication, it wasn't even a B-Side!) - one of my all time favourite bass riffs, not particularly challenging to play but it's so satisfying when you get it right

There are A LOT of other great Chili Peppers songs to try, like Mellowship Slinky in B Major, Apache Rose Peacock, Bunker Hill, Knock Me Down, Hump De Bump, Can't Stop and Get Up & Jump (if you can play Nobody Weird Like Me all the way through without making a mistake, I'll give you a bloody medal!)

Hope that helps!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Jjj90
Barbarism Begins at Home by The Smiths. Ace bass solo, but importantly it isn't all that hard to play.

Debaser or Tame by The Pixies.
I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses.
No Love Lost by Joy Division
Start! by The Jam
Disintegration by The Cure

Debaser - Pixies, an excellent suggestion!
Reply 17
Original post by __DEBASER
Debaser - Pixies, an excellent suggestion!

Great song. I admit I prefer... TAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 18
The Stranglers - No More Heroes. It's sounds easy but awesome. You'd probably need to fiddle around with guitar and amp settings to get that harsh biting tone, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg2np37JNEg
Also by The Stranglers, Peaches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpxR0SO7G4

Pink Floyd - Money:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnnjP8Rcb5k

My personal favourite, Wishbone Ash - Sometime World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvLVSPPLZZY 2:45 onwards.

Some of those will be beyond your current ability if you've only just started at Christmas, but they're something to aspire to!

Quick Reply

Latest