The Student Room Group

The EU should be for west European citizens only

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
You idiot!

Where did the OP say "lets have every single law the UAE has"?

I see you have the attention span of a slug. I was not even quoting the OP! Furthermore, the person I have quoted appears to support the idea of introducing the death penalty in modern day Britain, as follows:

Original post by Ace123
keep spinning I have supported the death penalty (and I am sure if put to a referendum it would be voted for

Unbelievable!
Original post by Jefferson Disk
I see you have the attention span of a slug. I was not even quoting the OP! Furthermore, the person I have quoted appears to support the idea of introducing the death penalty in modern day Britain, as follows: Unbelievable!

I take back the "OP bit, but:

Original post by Ace123
Agree with the poster all those measures the UAE have we need here

He said the ones the OP referred to- again, not every single law the UAE has..... For example, where in this thread has anybody supported stoning women?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by A.K85
The EU was most effective when it was an exclusive club comprising of western Europe, before deciding to do charity and expand east to 3rd world countries like romania and bulgaria.

True, it may feel essential to have that cheap pole or romanian for cleaning your bathroom and repairing your house; but honestly look at the benefits of gulf countries such as the the U.A.E

1. Top jobs and salaries are reserved by law for U.A.E citizens

2. All the social benefits like lower taxes, free education and healthcare go to U.A.E citizens only.

3. Foreigners are not allowed citizenship

4. 80% of the population are foreign but contribute for the prosperity of the 20%.

5. U.A.E citizens by law get first preference for jobs

6. Temporary work permits only and low wages for foreigners

This sounds like a good deal. Why on earth would Britain need east europeans to come here and drain our limited resources? To eat up the healthcare, education, dole, jobs etc.

How are Bulgaria and Romania 3rd world countries exactly?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by A.K85
The EU was most effective when it was an exclusive club comprising of western Europe, before deciding to do charity and expand east to 3rd world countries like romania and bulgaria.

True, it may feel essential to have that cheap pole or romanian for cleaning your bathroom and repairing your house; but honestly look at the benefits of gulf countries such as the the U.A.E

2. All the social benefits like lower taxes, free education and healthcare go to U.A.E citizens only.

4. 80% of the population are foreign but contribute for the prosperity of the 20%.

This sounds like a good deal. Why on earth would Britain need east europeans to come here and drain our limited resources? To eat up the healthcare, education, dole, jobs etc.

yes. bring back slavery, which works fine in UEA (well... not for slaves)

ps. it's funny to see everyone bashing immigrants from "Eastern Europe" (Central and Southern more often btw), which are, after all, quite culturally close to the Brits, and "forgetting" to mention Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Indian, Nigerians and other commonwealth countries among whom unemployment is ludicourously high.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by A.K85

Actually they have some of the highest wages on the planet.

Also, the 'Emiratis first' policy hasn't worked that well. Certainly in engineering, construction and even finance they are heavily dependent on highly-skilled Chinese, Indian and Western labour.
Original post by A.K85

you do realise that there are east europeans who pay taxes and therefore are entitled to health care and education, don't you? they don't just ' eat up the healthcare, education, dole, jobs etc.'

as far as I'm concerned if they are paying taxes then they should be entitled to things like the NHS etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I love the way Western Europeans (especially the posh British ) feel soooo superior over Eastern countries.
Reply 27
Original post by simon_g
yes. bring back slavery, which works fine in UEA (well... not for slaves)

ps. it's funny to see everyone bashing immigrants from "Eastern Europe" (Central and Southern more often btw), which are, after all, quite culturally close to the Brits, and "forgetting" to mention Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Indian, Nigerians and other commonwealth countries among whom unemployment is ludicourously high.

They don't play cricket. Or even polo. Unlike in the countries mentioned afterwards
Reply 28
Original post by effofex
They don't play cricket. Or even polo. Unlike in the countries mentioned afterwards

they also don't do the "honour killings".
Original post by Aniaa
I love the way Western Europeans (especially the posh British ) feel soooo superior over Eastern countries.

I love the way that Western Europeans (especially the posh British) like to bribe the best workers/entrepreneurs away from poorer nations, reducing the ability for those respective nations to increase their GDP. This keeps all the wealth in Western Europe, leaving Eastern Europe to provide cheap holiday homes and drinks for the wealthy and unwealthy westerners alike.

End globalisation and the increasing polarisation of wealth. End freedom of movement.
Original post by A.K85

And the above laws have effectively turned many if not most of those 80% migrant workers into de facto slaves.
Reply 31
Original post by simon_g
they also don't do the "honour killings".

Vastly more people in those nations play cricket and polo than do 'honour killings', otherwise the majority of those people's populations would be murderers and the jails would need to be significantly expanded.
Reply 32
Most of you don't seem to have a clue what you're talking about, if free movement should be stopped then that means the millions of British immigrants should come back.. They too 'eat up' the economy of foreign countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I love the way that Western Europeans (especially the posh British) like to bribe the best workers/entrepreneurs away from poorer nations, reducing the ability for those respective nations to increase their GDP. This keeps all the wealth in Western Europe, leaving Eastern Europe to provide cheap holiday homes and drinks for the wealthy and unwealthy westerners alike.

End globalisation and the increasing polarisation of wealth. End freedom of movement.

what?
Original post by Jefferson Disk
Yet, another 'great idea' from you! So you want to introduce the death penalty in the UK, jail all the people who choose to express freely, punish comedians for making fun of our government, stone women for being promiscuous etc?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/9357655/British-man-facing-death-penalty-in-Abu-Dhabi.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/23/world/meast/uae-american-sentence/

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/10/20/british-woman-rebecca-blake-jailed-sex-in-taxi-dubai-could-have-been-stoned-death/

What the hell....

He/she said the UAE has good economic policies. Where was there ever any mention of anything else.

Those points you've made... They're the same as saying Obama's idea of an American version of the NHS is bad because in the UK people drive on the opposite side of the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
the EU should only be for the history books
Reply 36
Original post by A.K85

This sounds like a good deal. Why on earth would Britain need east Europeans to come here and drain our limited resources? To eat up the healthcare, education, dole, jobs etc.

You may find it useful to learn more about gulf states. You have just mentioned 6 reasons that makes U.A.E a backward country despite all the gas resources they have got. I really hope you are not strongly convinced with what you have said. If, however, you are, can you explain what made you and how did reach this conclusion?
Reply 37
Studied the EU in depth in both an economic sense (A level economics) and now a legal sense.

Truth be told, for Britain as a institution the expansion of Europe can only be a good thing. Put it simply: by 2028 we will be the most economically developed nation in terms of gross domestic product in all of Europe. Yes, that means overtaking France and Germany.

Why is this? Well to put it simply, the expansion of the EU into less developed countries allows them free trade. Its bad for Germany because all the products they make will now be undercut by cheaper labour in other member states such as Romania for example. However, for us... well thanks to Mrs Thatcher we do not make much, so we're not losing any business by those countries joining.

In fact we gain something, all of these emigrant's come to Britain. The result is a catalyst for population growth, and anyone who's done economics knows population growth results in an increase in long term supply, and thus economic growth. Also, our international trade in terms of insurance and banking has gone up considerably in these countries.

But does this net gain reflect in day to day society? Probably not, especially since housing/education/employment will be strained. I'm against the EU anyway, but not for your reasons - rather its just a white man's club - why cant Turkey (Who's population would not emigrate to the UK) a much more developed country than the rest of Eastern Europe join? They've been trying for decades, before even Poland attempted it.

When it was just Western Europe, fine. But why deny Turkey the right to join but allow the rest of Eastern Europe? So basically the EU is stating "We're drawing the line at the point the colour of your skin changes'

P.S The points you have stated from Saudi Arabia - if to be believed - would never work here. Its discriminatory, and infringes on the 1998 European Convention of Human Rights Act.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Welsh_insomniac

Those reasons are exactly why we should continue to import labour from poorer countries, why would we them to advance to a point where they match us technologically.

Original post by 0zzy94
Studied the EU in depth in both an economic sense (A level economics) and now a legal sense.

Truth be told, for Britain as a institution the expansion of Europe can only be a good thing. Put it simply: by 2028 we will be the most economically developed nation in terms of gross domestic product in all of Europe. Yes, that means overtaking France and Germany.

Why is this? Well to put it simply, the expansion of the EU into less developed countries allows them free trade. Its bad for Germany because all the products they make will now be undercut by cheaper labour in other member states such as Romania for example. However, for us... well thanks to Mrs Thatcher we do not make much, so we're not losing any business by those countries joining.

In fact we gain something, all of these emigrant's come to Britain. The result is a catalyst for population growth, and anyone who's done economics knows population growth results in an increase in long term supply, and thus economic growth. Also, our international trade in terms of insurance and banking has gone up considerably in these countries.

But does this net gain reflect in day to day society? Probably not, especially since housing/education/employment will be strained. I'm against the EU anyway, but not for your reasons - rather its just a white man's club - why cant Turkey (Who's population would not emigrate to the UK) a much more developed country than the rest of Eastern Europe join? They've been trying for decades, before even Poland attempted it.

When it was just Western Europe, fine. But why deny Turkey the right to join but allow the rest of Eastern Europe? So basically the EU is stating "We're drawing the line at the point the colour of your skin changes'

P.S The points you have stated from Saudi Arabia - if to be believed - would never work here. Its discriminatory, and infringes on the 1998 European Convention of Human Rights Act.

I agree with the general jist here. My only reservation regarding North African and Arab countries in general is their Islamic nature, it makes me uncomfortable. With that being said if they are willing to reform to the point that they become secular, liberal democracies then i'd probably support it.
Reply 39
You do realise the report that Cameron shelved would have told everyone that current EU immigrants contribute on average 1/3 more through tax payments than they take out of the system in public services and benefits, and that only 1-2% of them aren't working?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending