The Student Room Group

The EU should be for west European citizens only

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Katie_p
You do realise the report that Cameron shelved would have told everyone that current EU immigrants contribute on average 1/3 more through tax payments than they take out of the system in public services and benefits, and that only 1-2% of them aren't working?

Not to mention the fact that no one was sacked for an Eastern European. All the jobs they got no one wanted before they got here.
At least Ukrainians know how to riot, not like the worthless chavs we have here, I swear every chav should be shot on sight.
Original post by effofex
Actually they have some of the highest wages on the planet.

The migrants building the skyscrapers in Dubai as we speak have some of the highest wages on the planet?

That's a good one.
Original post by 0zzy94
Studied the EU in depth in both an economic sense (A level economics) and now a legal sense.

Truth be told, for Britain as a institution the expansion of Europe can only be a good thing. Put it simply: by 2028 we will be the most economically developed nation in terms of gross domestic product in all of Europe. Yes, that means overtaking France and Germany.

Why is this? Well to put it simply, the expansion of the EU into less developed countries allows them free trade. Its bad for Germany because all the products they make will now be undercut by cheaper labour in other member states such as Romania for example. However, for us... well thanks to Mrs Thatcher we do not make much, so we're not losing any business by those countries joining.

In fact we gain something, all of these emigrant's come to Britain. The result is a catalyst for population growth, and anyone who's done economics knows population growth results in an increase in long term supply, and thus economic growth. Also, our international trade in terms of insurance and banking has gone up considerably in these countries.

But does this net gain reflect in day to day society? Probably not, especially since housing/education/employment will be strained. I'm against the EU anyway, but not for your reasons - rather its just a white man's club - why cant Turkey (Who's population would not emigrate to the UK) a much more developed country than the rest of Eastern Europe join? They've been trying for decades, before even Poland attempted it.

When it was just Western Europe, fine. But why deny Turkey the right to join but allow the rest of Eastern Europe? So basically the EU is stating "We're drawing the line at the point the colour of your skin changes'

P.S The points you have stated from Saudi Arabia - if to be believed - would never work here. Its discriminatory, and infringes on the 1998 European Convention of Human Rights Act.

Considering you've studied the EU in depth, in both an economic and legal sense, you're obviously well aware that the accession of Turkey has nothing to do with the the fact that their skin colour is slightly darker than that of the average Brit, French or German; but has everything to do with the acquis, which Turkey is light-years away from completing.

Of the 33 chapters relevant to Turkey it has completed 4: Company Law; Enterprise & Industrial Policy; Science & Research; and External Relations. But, having such in depth knowledge of the EU, you would, of course, know this.

And then there's always the Cyprus question, which, again, you're more than familiar with.
Reply 44
I dont know where this "Eastern Europe is third world" belief came from. Pretty sure the Polish economy is better than the Portuguese or even Spanish economy. Furthermore untapped labour migrating to where they are needed is the whole point. When there were no Bulgarians, certain jobs nobody wantes to do, now there are Bulgarians and you are all whining that they are taking jobs that you all never wanted to do anyway.
Europe
European
European Union
West European Union???
Original post by zcogaming
At least Ukrainians know how to riot, not like the worthless chavs we have here, I swear every chav should be shot on sight.

I really hope you're banned from this forums and the police follow this message up in real life. You demonise the working class as 'chavs', yet you probably have no experience of real poverty yourself.

The working class, from all countries across the world, are the backbone of society. The EU should be expansive, granting all Europeans (no matter their race or location on the continent) the full benefits of free movement and labour. Western Europe is not superior to Eastern Europe; in fact, the West should be investing more money in the weaker economies to help raise the standard of living for poorer people.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JamesGibson
I really hope you're banned from this forums and the police follow this message up in real life. You demonise the working class as 'chavs', yet you probably have no experience of real poverty yourself.

chav
tʃav/
nounBrit.informalderogatory

noun: chav; plural noun: chavs

a young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of (real or imitation) designer clothes.

I'm from a working class family that barely gets by with both parents wrking, so don't tell me what I have experienced. And no, I have not experienced poverty, if you mean poverty in the sense of absolute poverty, I am one of the many people experience relative poverty, but I don't fit the criteria to be a chav.
Why would I demonise my own class? I said "chavs", not "all working class people" and I'm sure the police have better things to do with their time, as anyone with half a brain would know what i said was a joke, I'm not going to go and shoot every chav I see, not enough bullets...

The joke

International Space Station

Earth

Your head
Original post by JamesGibson
The working class, from all countries across the world, are the backbone of society. The EU should be expansive, granting all Europeans (no matter their race or location on the continent) the full benefits of free movement and labour. Western Europe is not superior to Eastern Europe; in fact, the West should be investing more money in the weaker economies to help raise the standard of living for poorer people.

Again, why should we be supporting other countries before ourselves? We need to get ourselves into a good secure position economically before we help others, this is how the world works, we don't get bonus points for being the hero. Isolationism worked for America, not saying we should go that far but we should be looking out for our own country and people before others.

How can you say West EU is not superior to East EU, then in the same breath, say we should invest money to help raise their standard of living? Does that not mean we are superior (economically) to them?
Reply 49
Original post by littlemissboo2
I think we should be should be taken out of the EU

Well, it would certainly make travelling / working abroad a hell of a lot harder.
Reply 50
Original post by Stalin
Considering you've studied the EU in depth, in both an economic and legal sense, you're obviously well aware that the accession of Turkey has nothing to do with the the fact that their skin colour is slightly darker than that of the average Brit, French or German; but has everything to do with the acquis, which Turkey is light-years away from completing.

Of the 33 chapters relevant to Turkey it has completed 4: Company Law; Enterprise & Industrial Policy; Science & Research; and External Relations. But, having such in depth knowledge of the EU, you would, of course, know this.

And then there's always the Cyprus question, which, again, you're more than familiar with.

Turkey has said if they would allow entry upon completion of 'asquis' requirements would they let them in. The EU said no. Anyway, as a country, Turkey is far more similar to Britain than, say Poland, for example. Which Muslim countries have hot women prancing about in bikinis, have bars around every street corner, a fair court system and friendly cops.

I was arrested in Turkey on holiday once, it was a misunderstanding. However, the police was fair and I had a lot of faith in the court system, something I wouldn't have in Romania. Ultimately, its discrimination that the Turks cant join, just being 'Islamic' (albeit very secular) is the only reason they have.

Anyway, you seem smart. Think about it this way, 'Europe' is a man-made concept, there is no Europe on the planet... so, given this, and given that the more and more developed countries that join will only help member states. Why even restrict it to the Western white? I'm not saying they should do it but, from an economical standpoint, the EU should invite China... So what if it isn't in Europe, change the name because Europe is a man-made concept, having free trade with the Chinese would be amazing. Disclaimer: In theory, not saying they should do it.

Overall the EU and European Union is a man-made instruct to make themselves feel more powerful than they really are. If it was a block created to actually increase economic and cultural gain, then they'd be inviting the powerful nations around the earth to join and not developing white nations that sponge off us (Greece, for example).

I look forward to your reply, hate convos that turn into a personal flame thread though, so keep it cool yeah.
Reply 51
Give over OP. People were sulking about how much they disliked the EU back when it was just a West European club. In fact the UK favoured expanding it eastwards as a means of making integration more difficult.
Reply 52
Original post by 0zzy94
Turkey has said if they would allow entry upon completion of 'asquis' requirements would they let them in. The EU said no. Anyway, as a country, Turkey is far more similar to Britain than, say Poland, for example. Which Muslim countries have hot women prancing about in bikinis, have bars around every street corner, a fair court system and friendly cops.

I was arrested in Turkey on holiday once, it was a misunderstanding. However, the police was fair and I had a lot of faith in the court system, something I wouldn't have in Romania. Ultimately, its discrimination that the Turks cant join, just being 'Islamic' (albeit very secular) is the only reason they have.

You claim that it's a fair court system when you can get arrested for insult Ataturk? Really?
Reply 53
Personally i would actually be surprised if Turkey does not eventually join the EU, while religion is a concern one should bear in mind that Albania and Kosovo are likely to get membership and are already Muslim countries.

The biggest stumbling block to their membership is the example it shows, Turkish membership would almost certainly mean Moroccan membership.
Why is everybody here so pessimistic about Muslims..
Original post by A.K85
The EU was most effective when it was an exclusive club comprising of western Europe, before deciding to do charity and expand east to 3rd world countries like romania and bulgaria.

True, it may feel essential to have that cheap pole or romanian for cleaning your bathroom and repairing your house; but honestly look at the benefits of gulf countries such as the the U.A.E

1. Top jobs and salaries are reserved by law for U.A.E citizens

2. All the social benefits like lower taxes, free education and healthcare go to U.A.E citizens only.

3. Foreigners are not allowed citizenship

4. 80% of the population are foreign but contribute for the prosperity of the 20%.

5. U.A.E citizens by law get first preference for jobs

6. Temporary work permits only and low wages for foreigners

This sounds like a good deal. Why on earth would Britain need east europeans to come here and drain our limited resources? To eat up the healthcare, education, dole, jobs etc.

Are you a fan of UKIP by any chance?
Reply 56
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
Why is everybody here so pessimistic about Muslims..

Cultural differences, Sharia Law sterotype, lack of social integration.
Original post by Rakas21
Cultural differences, Sharia Law sterotype, lack of social integration.

Lack of social integration is completely out of question imo, most of my family is here and I have never noticed anyone isolate themselves from British culture. The only country where Shariah Law is implied (to an extreme enough extent) Is Saudi Arabia.
Using cultural differences as an excuse to isolate one group from another is a very backwards approach, don't you think? We need to learn how to integrate, rather than keep away from each other.
Calling a country 'Islamic' and using it as a reason against EU membership is pathetic.
Original post by 0zzy94

Not quite. If Turkey completes the acquis it's accession goes to a vote, which France and Germany may block - even Cyprus. But every member state is entitled to their opinion.

I think you're exaggerating the reality in Turkey. My guess is you've been to one of the tourist hubs/resorts. Ask one of the many journalists currently in jail because of the press censorship, or ask the Kurds is the court system is particularly fair to them, let alone if the police/army are friendly.

Why on earth would the Turkish police imprison you for a misunderstanding? They want you to spend as much money in the country as possible.

It would have been exactly the same in Romania - only this time you're covered as an EU national. If anything went wrong in Turkey, you're ****ed. Does Midnight Express ring any bells?

Anyway, you seem smart. Think about it this way, 'Europe' is a man-made concept, there is no Europe on the planet... so, given this, and given that the more and more developed countries that join will only help member states. Why even restrict it to the Western white? I'm not saying they should do it but, from an economical standpoint, the EU should invite China... So what if it isn't in Europe, change the name because Europe is a man-made concept, having free trade with the Chinese would be amazing. Disclaimer: In theory, not saying they should do it.

China's a one-party state, with a repressive government, very few human rights, and a non-existent free press. These sort of countries, like Belarus, have no place in the EU.

Overall the EU and European Union is a man-made instruct to make themselves feel more powerful than they really are. If it was a block created to actually increase economic and cultural gain, then they'd be inviting the powerful nations around the earth to join and not developing white nations that sponge off us (Greece, for example).

The point in the EU is to solidify the continent as a united, politically and economically-integrated, cohesive unit. But the economic and cultural gain is for Europeans - people who live on this continent, not the Brazilians, Americans, Japanese, Australians or South Africans.

Greece is a nightmare, I agree, and should never have been invited. They've been fixing their books since the 19th century and have been bankrupt five odd times in the last 150 odd years.
Reply 59
Original post by Stalin
The migrants building the skyscrapers in Dubai as we speak have some of the highest wages on the planet?

That's a good one.

Most of the architects designing those skyscrapers are migrants earning far more than they would in their places. As are the engineers who design the foundations. As are the labourers who physically shift the materials. None of these people are taxed in the UAE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending