The Student Room Group

The EU should be for west European citizens only

Scroll to see replies

Original post by effofex
Most of the architects designing those skyscrapers are migrants earning far more than they would in their places. As are the engineers who design the foundations. As are the labourers who physically shift the materials. None of these people are taxed in the UAE.

I was talking specifically about the labourers. To claim that they are on some of the highest wages on the planet is an absurdity beyond any possible realm of comprehension.
Reply 61
Original post by Stalin
I was talking specifically about the labourers. To claim that they are on some of the highest wages on the planet is an absurdity beyond any possible realm of comprehension.

I didn't say that. But they get a good deal compared to most labourers on the planet since:

a) they are not taxed
b) there has been more construction work commissioned on the Gulf than in most other parts of the world.
Original post by effofex
I didn't say that. But they get a good deal compared to most labourers on the planet since:

a) they are not taxed
b) there has been more construction work commissioned on the Gulf than in most other parts of the world.

That's different from some of the highest wages on the planet.

These guys can earn £120 - £150 per month.
Reply 63
I'd be happy if they kicked at least 80% of muslims out of Europe. I have nothing against Eastern Europeans as they are not a threat. Islam, on the other hand, is becoming very dangerous as more and more hate preachers are radicalising thousands of muslim idiots and nobody seems to be willing to do anything about it.
Reply 64
Original post by C_G
You claim that it's a fair court system when you can get arrested for insult Ataturk? Really?

When did I say I got arrested for insulting a turk? I never said why I got arrested, but if the same situation occurred in Britain I'd have been arrested here too.
Reply 65
Original post by 0zzy94
When did I say I got arrested for insulting a turk? I never said why I got arrested, but if the same situation occurred in Britain I'd have been arrested here too.

I'm pointing out that Turkey is far from what you are saying it is. Freedom of speech is extremely limited there and it's facing a massive corruption scandal that reaches right up into the heights of government. How you can say that Turkey is like Britain is beyond me as they are two fundamentally different countries with fundamentally different ideological basis. That's what I was pointing out.
Reply 66
Original post by Stalin
Not quite. If Turkey completes the acquis it's accession goes to a vote, which France and Germany may block - even Cyprus. But every member state is entitled to their opinion.

I think you're exaggerating the reality in Turkey. My guess is you've been to one of the tourist hubs/resorts. Ask one of the many journalists currently in jail because of the press censorship, or ask the Kurds is the court system is particularly fair to them, let alone if the police/army are friendly.

Why on earth would the Turkish police imprison you for a misunderstanding? They want you to spend as much money in the country as possible.

It would have been exactly the same in Romania - only this time you're covered as an EU national. If anything went wrong in Turkey, you're ****ed. Does Midnight Express ring any bells?

China's a one-party state, with a repressive government, very few human rights, and a non-existent free press. These sort of countries, like Belarus, have no place in the EU.

The point in the EU is to solidify the continent as a united, politically and economically-integrated, cohesive unit. But the economic and cultural gain is for Europeans - people who live on this continent, not the Brazilians, Americans, Japanese, Australians or South Africans.

Greece is a nightmare, I agree, and should never have been invited. They've been fixing their books since the 19th century and have been bankrupt five odd times in the last 150 odd years.

Mate, I think you put too much weight behind Western press... China isn't an oppresive state, its a thriving one where the majority are happy. According to your logic, every country on the planet isn't worth living in if it isn't Western and White.

Turkey has bad press, doesn't every country? I actually spent 6 months there, throughout the country. Of course it has its bad points, thats why its a developing country. It, and majority of countries, are not nearly as bad as the media pictures - everyone hears 1 bad news article and write off the whole country. Yes, if I'd been screwed in Turkey I'd be hopeless, but then again... same applies to every country in the world outside the EU.

You're right about the Kurds and the Turks. There are some tensions there, however its more of an 'on the ground level' of discrimination. It isn't nearly as institutional as the media pictures (from what I saw, at least). Go ask a Kurd, would he rather be a Kurd in Turkey or a Palestinian in Israel? I know what he'd say. Yet the Turks are painted as evil, menacing people who oppress the poor kurds, and the Israeli's are unsung heroes. Slightly off topic, but clearly it demonstrates the double standards within Western media.

Going back to the EU, I'll keep it swift. I'm not saying Turkey, or any other country like Turkey, has a right to join the EU for the points you raised (some, I agree).

What I am saying though, is if countries such as Greece can be allowed to join - then clearly Turkey also passes the standards of entry (If Greece gets in, Turkey will obviously pass those expectations). The fact Greece can get it, and Turkey cant shows the EU are being discriminatory. If it was just the UK, France and Germany... then clearly they have high standards, and by not allowing Greece or Turkey in it'd show they're clearly unbiased and only looking for those who will benefit themselves.

I cant see a reason why most of those Eastern European countries are allowed to join, but Turkey which - for all its faults - is superior to most of these countries isn't.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is can you draw me any significant distinctions between Greece, or some other recent EU member, and Turkey which would mean one gets to join, and the other cant?

P.S The Turkey-Cyprus incident cant be used for a reason Turkey doesn't get to join. Off the top of my head, Turkey had already applied to join the EU a long time before the invasion occurred. And even if it didn't, the UK and most European countries are guilty of invasions - good or bad - e.g Iraq/Afghanistan etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by C_G
I'm pointing out that Turkey is far from what you are saying it is. Freedom of speech is extremely limited there and it's facing a massive corruption scandal that reaches right up into the heights of government. How you can say that Turkey is like Britain is beyond me as they are two fundamentally different countries with fundamentally different ideological basis. That's what I was pointing out.

What are you talking about? it doesn't matter if zombies were eating everyone in Turkey... I'm saying what happened to me in Turkey would have been the same in Britain.

You cannot challenge me on that because you have no idea what I was charged with!

Turkey and Britain are very different, I never said they weren't!!!!! All I said was, if the same situation occurred in Britain I'd have faced an identical outcome i.e been arrested etc.

I cant believe you're challenging me on this because I never said what I was arrested for, what if I was arrested for being caught on CCTV murdering 10 people? If the same thing happened in Britain are you saying I wouldn't have been arrested? Lmao.
Reply 68
Original post by 0zzy94
What are you talking about? it doesn't matter if zombies were eating everyone in Turkey... I'm saying what happened to me in Turkey would have been the same in Britain.

You cannot challenge me on that because you have no idea what I was charged with!

Turkey and Britain are very different, I never said they weren't!!!!! All I said was, if the same situation occurred in Britain I'd have faced an identical outcome i.e been arrested etc.

I cant believe you're challenging me on this because I never said what I was arrested for, what if I was arrested for being caught on CCTV murdering 10 people? If the same thing happened in Britain are you saying I wouldn't have been arrested? Lmao.

You said "Anyway, as a country, Turkey is far more similar to Britain than, say Poland, for example." and I disagreed with it.
Original post by Kontraband
EU should be whites onlyAll non-whites are invaders as far as I'm concerned. They disgust me coming here, take our jobs and rape and murder.**** them all.

Great, you share the views of every Nazi supporter.

There is a difference between wanting to protect your own country's economy from immigration flooding (like what's happening in UK), and plain racism.

A person that has the 1st view would say: "There should be a cap on immigration so our government can cope with the extra people, and tighter border control laws so people don't just run off in the country."

A racist person says: "No non-white in the EU please, they are disgusting, they all rape and murder (because whites don't rape and murder at all do they >_>)"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending