The Student Room Group

How to revise

How do I revise I need to start revision soon but everything just goes in one ear and out the other can anyone give me useful ways of remembering things for exams ?
Reply 1
its not about what you know, its about how you know. develop techniques for remembering such as a rhyme etc. learn exam technique. all exams up to and including a level are linear. so you can predict how questions will come up as they repeat things from previous years with different examples. write things down and say them out loud. use colour if thats your sort of thing. but past papers are your best friend. you dont need to know the little details only learn what youll use. or if you overcram then youll forget that too.
Reply 2
Original post by cem101
its not about what you know, its about how you know. develop techniques for remembering such as a rhyme etc. learn exam technique. all exams up to and including a level are linear. so you can predict how questions will come up as they repeat things from previous years with different examples. write things down and say them out loud. use colour if thats your sort of thing. but past papers are your best friend. you dont need to know the little details only learn what youll use. or if you overcram then youll forget that too.

Thamkyou
Reply 3
also make sure you know a lot as well dont be blind get people to test you.
Reply 4
Start off by listening in lesson, staying focused this will make revision a lot easier.

Get a textbook and go through the whole unit, taking EVERY note possible (short simple and neat). Then create notes from your notes, highlighting everything you're not 100% certain with, then create some more notes from those. Repeat until you are left with basically nothing. After this, get as many past exam papers along with mark schemes and go through them. If you know how to do a question just SKIP IT. When you get stuck go back to your notes so you can relearn it again. If you do this, you will fly through the exam.

If you are really really easily distracted like me, it may sound stupid but actually go somewhere quiet like a library and do the work there.

Plus this method worked for me, I literally slept in all my lessons (no joke) and learned virtually nothing throughout the year. So i had to take it upon myself to learn it all by my own. This process took about 15 hours per unit altogether (But i am pretty slow). If you are a hardcore worker then you could literally learn the whole unit inside out in a weekend.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest