The Student Room Group

UNIQ/Sutton Trust Summer School 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FN510
Yeah, I am. I've basically said I love maths and talked about a few books read on computation. I don't think I'll get a place, but I've applied to Sutton Trust and Headstart as well so I'm not too worried, hopefully I'll get into one. What you saying in yours? Good luck:smile:

Yay! I've found somebody else! I mentioned how much I love maths and computers (programming and animation) and want to combine the two. And done a little bit of wider reading around the mathematics/graphics world. So have you sent off your application yet? Good luck to you too- hopefully I'll see you there! :^_^:
Just applied for the Computer Science course. i enjoyed writing my personal statement and thought it showed a lot about me...thought that doesnt mean it was great or anything. lol
Reply 62
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Yay! I've found somebody else! I mentioned how much I love maths and computers (programming and animation) and want to combine the two. And done a little bit of wider reading around the mathematics/graphics world. So have you sent off your application yet? Good luck to you too- hopefully I'll see you there! :^_^:

Yeah, earlier this week. I'm interested (and slightly afraid) to see just how intense it is at Oxford; the course is supposedly similiar to undergrad-level intensity. I'm sure it would be a good experience, just hope I could cope.
Reply 63
Has anyone else applied for Natural Sciences at UCL? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for biochemistry at Kings :smile: Anyone else?
Medicine at Durham? Or any other Medicines?
Reply 66
Does anyone know when we find out if we got a place, for the Sutton Trust summer school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by meeeeee7
Does anyone know when we find out if we got a place, for the Sutton Trust summer school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think by the end od April?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think I have a chance at PPL if I'm doing physics, computing, maths and further maths?
(Given that I got A*A* in English literature and English language GCSEs and I'm in my school's "advanced discussion group").
Anyone who is applying to the Sutton Trust Summer school 2014, please put your application information here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/sutton_trust_summer_school_programme_2014_stalking_page
. This is for the purpose for the future applicants and acceptance rate information. If you guys don't know how to edit it, please feel free to PM me so that I could enter your application information. Thank you for contributing to TSR
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah was wondering how/when that woild be. After the closing date?
Original post by WesterosWildling
Yeah was wondering how/when that woild be. After the closing date?

After the closing date, your application will be sent to the university you applied to. They will handle your application afterwards and will contact you through your e-mail for whether or not you got accepted. Their replying date would usually be between the end of April to early of June.
Hi guys! I went on the Sutton Trust summer school last year to Cambridge for chemistry. :smile: Feel free to ask me anything about it!
Reply 73
Original post by ethery
Hi guys! I went on the Sutton Trust summer school last year to Cambridge for chemistry. :smile: Feel free to ask me anything about it!

What your week consisted of? And even more importantly, did you enjoyed your time there and think it's worth while going there? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obliviate
What your week consisted of? And even more importantly, did you enjoyed your time there and think it's worth while going there? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

Well, I was looking for my timetable to scan in for you, but I couldn't find it. I did however find the one I was sent last year when I asked someone else the same question, so I'll link you to that! It hardly changed at all for last year, so I doubt it'd be much different next year.

In summary, lectures in the morning, with difficulties ranging from ridiculous to doable, but always challenging. Everyone's in the same boat though, so it's not as intimidating as you'd think. A short break for lunch, and then a long afternoon in the lab. I would say I learnt most from the practical element of the week, but it was definitely the most tiring part too. And then we'd go back to the college and take part in the various activities over the week!

I had such a good time. Really, it was just such a good week! I would recommend it to anyone, it was so helpful. What I learnt in the lectures helped me at A2 and I became so much more confident in my practical work due to the independence and the opportunity to do things I wouldn't have done at school. And obviously I had something else to talk about on my personal statement, which was a bonus. :tongue:
Original post by ethery

How much of the eligibility criteria did you meet if you don't mind me asking?
Also, what was your favorite part of the whole experience? :smile:
Original post by honeygiraffe
How much of the eligibility criteria did you meet if you don't mind me asking?
Also, what was your favorite part of the whole experience? :smile:

I actually met all of them except the one about being in care.

Well, obviously I really enjoyed getting to explore beyond the A level syllabus of a subject I love. I probably would have to say though my favourite part was meeting the people I did. I got to meet lots of people (not just ones doing my subject) who were really passionate about what they wanted to do and in general just wonderful people! I had a great time with them over the week and still keep in contact with a couple :smile:
To anyone whos got on before, do you think I will get on if I meet 4 of the 7 criteria? The ones I dont are being in care, school progression to higher education (which I think is alright) and first generation (only one of my parents went to uni). Bearing in mind i applied for Medicine at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by WesterosWildling
To anyone whos got on before, do you think I will get on if I meet 4 of the 7 criteria? The ones I dont are being in care, school progression to higher education (which I think is alright) and first generation (only one of my parents went to uni). Bearing in mind i applied for Medicine at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I didn't meet 2, my school had an excellent progression and I haven't been in care. Luckily I got into Imperial for physics first time around.

I'd say you'd have a really good chance but it's medicine so I think it'll be a struggle. It doesn't mean not apply though! If you're not in it then you'll never get in whereas if you do there is always a chance :smile:
Thanks. I applied for the same at UNIQ Oxford. Personal Statement not sure, but Polar 3 data is 3 and home postcode is 9. Any chance, others who are going for UNIQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending