The Student Room Group

Oxford students with Braces

Hello I am a student in my last year of school. My orthodontist told me I am going to have to wear braces for the next 2.5-3 years. The thought of wearing braces for half of uni is making me so ill and depressed and I just cannot concentrate on anything but this right now. All my life I have been self-conscious of my smile and have rarely done so- nobody has ever really liked me because they think I am a moody **** with a dead personality. My time at university is supposed to be the best time of my life and it will just be thrown down the drain now. I can't do this **** all over again. I want to cry so much right now.
What do I do? throw away my offer from Oxford or the best years of my life.
Please, please can someone who is already there post some comforting advice; :frown: I dont want to make a decision I am going to regret for the rest of my life.

Thanks for any response.

Edit: Are there a few people at least (except me) that wear them?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Ask your orthodontist whether there are less visible braces you could have than the traditional train tracks - for example tooth coloured ones, or ones you need only wear at night, or ones that go on the inside of your teeth.

But even if not, you should still do it now. There is never going to be a perfect time in your life, but the sooner you start, the sooner you'll be finished.
You don't have to smile with your mouth open, you know. I rarely do.
Reply 3
Original post by Crumpet1
Ask your orthodontist whether there are less visible braces you could have than the traditional train tracks - for example tooth coloured ones, or ones you need only wear at night, or ones that go on the inside of your teeth.

But even if not, you should still do it now. There is never going to be a perfect time in your life, but the sooner you start, the sooner you'll be finished.

No I'm afraid I can't :frown: It has to be train tracks Iv been told
Reply 4
Original post by StarvingAutist
You don't have to smile with your mouth open, you know. I rarely do.

That's what I try too- but people think it is not sincere
Original post by anon3210
That's what I try too- but people think it is not sincere

Really? I don't suppose you can do much about that then. Just convince people it is sincere :tongue:
Reply 6
As someone that never had braces when they were younger and massively wish they did , I would say that you do need to follow your orthodontist's advice, whilst I can only go on my own personal feelings, you would regret it later in life if you don't and to get them fixed would cost quite a bit once you start working.

There are many people that still have braces at University, also together with the fact that the technology for braces has improved so much over recent years (they are now smaller and less visible then they ever have been) I would suggest to you that it is almost a non-issue to other students!

You will also find that students at University (no matter which one) are vastly more accommodating towards others around them then typical school students. People are there to learn and have a good time and make some decent friends in the process and that's all you need to be thinking about too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Can still perform cunniligus with braces, stay strong :colone:.
Reply 8
I can safely say I have never made friendship choices based on whether the person is wearing braces.

Seriously, nobody will care any more than they would if you were wearing glasses.
Hello I am a student in my last year of school. My orthodontist told me I am going to have to wear braces for the next 2.5-3 years. The thought of wearing braces for half of uni is making me so ill and depressed and I just cannot concentrate on anything but this right now. All my life I have been self-conscious of my smile and have rarely done so- nobody has ever really liked me because they think I am a moody **** with a dead personality. My time at university is supposed to be the best time of my life and it will just be thrown down the drain now. I can't do this **** all over again. I want to cry so much right now.
What do I do? throw away my offer from Oxford or the best years of my life.
Please, please can someone who is already there post some comforting advice; :frown: I dont want to make a decision I am going to regret for the rest of my life.

Thanks for any response.

Maybe ask your orthodontist if there are any possible alternatives to braces at all? Perhaps something like this: http://www.invisalign.co.uk/en/Pages/Home.aspx

If you really have to wear them though, I'd recommend you do. In the long run, 2-3 years is nothing compared to a lifetime of having straight teeth. I wore braces when I was younger (12-14), and I'm glad I did. At any rate, if you have to do it (I had to because mine was severe), you'll have to do it now or later. Might as well get it over and done with.

I wasn't bothered with how I looked, but in any case, I can't imagine people being so shallow as to refuse to befriend you solely because you wear braces. That's incredibly superficial, and if there are people like that, I wouldn't want to befriend them either.
Reply 10

I have both an offer and braces, so yes there are :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by StarvingAutist
...:tongue:

Original post by uniqsummer

Original post by mishieru07

Original post by Skye25

Original post by ZakV

Thank you all for making me feel a little better , even you ZakV :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you all for making me feel a little better , even you ZakV :smile:

Our pleasure, huge congratulations on getting an Oxford offer. That should easily be the most amazing thing in your life right now, and please don't let something as meaningless as braces detract from that.
Reply 13
Our pleasure, huge congratulations on getting an Oxford offer. That should easily be the most amazing thing in your life right now, and please don't let something as meaningless as braces detract from that.

Thank you so much for being so nice to me. Out of curiosity are you a current Oxford undergrad or an offer holder?
Reply 14
Neither sadly. Mostly I just lurk and lend the occasional hand to law students. I was going to mention - I have a friend who finally got braces prior to her wedding (while she was in her late 20s), so that she could have straight teeth in her wedding pics. Don't be another her ... it's a million times odder being an adult with braces than being a student with braces.
I'm a second year and one of my friends just got braces and nobody seems bothered in the slightest. You'll be fine :smile:
Better consult with an orthodontist about Invisalign. Whether it is applicable or not? If so, then use it. It never shows any kind of negative look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending