The Student Room Group

Confusing gas and electricity bills..... Advice?

Hi peeps, I'm just reviewing the bills since I arrived at my uni flat, there are 3 of us altogether. I will go through my bills with you.

18 SEP 13 - 17 NOV 13 (60 days)
Electric used 137 kw/h
gas used 833 kw/h
Total = £85.34

17 NOV - 29 DEC (42 days)
Electric used 274 kw/h
Gas used 1411 kw/h
Total = £122.19

29 DEC - 18 JAN 14 (20 days)
Electric used 143 kw/h
Gas used 970 kw/h
Total = £138.85

Let me say, we NEVER put the heating on, as lads we just cover up, keep warm, and get on with it. And we are all disciplined, never leave lights etc on. And we are dirty bastards who have probably 3-4 showers each a week.

Why the hell do these bills not only follow totally incoherent time periods (62 days, 42 days, 20 days), but why the hell do they seem to get higher? Surely the shorter the period between the bills the less we pay? In our opinion, we are using no more or less energy than we were in January, than we were in September. Are we getting mugged off here? Do these energy companies think all because its winter they can rack up the prices even when we do not use more? What can we do? Because they obviously do not make any sense what so ever!

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards,
O
In winter you need more hours of artificial lightening too
Do you give regular meter readings, or are these estimated readings?

If they're estimated, then you'll need to give a meter reading so that it's accurate. SO check that out.
Reply 3
It does seem odd that the bills are different each month. Which company is it that you're with? Your best ringing them and asking them to explain it to you. Basically, regardless of how much gas and electricity (and water but that's a separate bill obviously), they have set prices each month, think of it like a phone contract, that regardless of how little you use, the price will (or should) be the same each month. The only time it will go over the standard set price is if you go over, which by the sounds of it, shouldn't happen to you boys. I have lived in 2 student houses now, and have been in charge of the bills each time, and the bills are the same each month as we were very careful like you guys are. Be aware that your boiler and showers etc can often be electrical, as they are in my house, so thats where the electric use might be coming from. As I said best thing to do is to ring your provider, ask them to explain the prices and why they are inconsistent, and what your monthly price is supposed to be.
Reply 4
Those bills do seem very high. For comparison, my gas was £20 per month and Elect £35 per month.

Obviously the figures will be higher depending on number of people in the house, but things like central heating and lighting costs will be almost the same regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending