The Student Room Group

Monthly bill price for our 7 bed house

Hi we are currently renting a 7 bed house and we have been quoted 123.32 for gas and electric each every month. is paying 861 a month for these two bills normal?
That seems high but it might be based on the previous tenants' usage. You need to check that it wasn't left in arrears - you don't want to be paying off someone else's debt.

My house has less bedrooms but is large/draughty as it is Victorian so no insulation or double glazing. We are very careful with use of heating and how often we heat the water but there are usually only 2 of us showering each day (from hot tank) whereas you will probably have 7 electric showers a day.
We pay £200 pm year round. I could easily see 7 young people who aren't careful racking up £600 a month in winter but you would expect summer to bring down the average.
Reply 2
yeah they're trying to force packages on us stating that we will be refunded any unused amount at the end of the tenancy, but surely there is a way we can just pay monthly the exact amount we have used
Original post by tobyt19
yeah they're trying to force packages on us stating that we will be refunded any unused amount at the end of the tenancy, but surely there is a way we can just pay monthly the exact amount we have used

The energy supplier(s) may be open to that but one person would have to be the named account holder and become liable for the bill which may not be that appealing. The monthly bill would need to be settled from one account and the account holder would need to be paid back by the other 6 housemates. That is why there is a push to some sort of package probably
Depends on the area, where I live that’s sort of average rent prices in a house share.
Reply 5
Original post by tobyt19
Hi we are currently renting a 7 bed house and we have been quoted 123.32 for gas and electric each every month. is paying 861 a month for these two bills normal?

Who has quoted you that figure? Do you know what it's based on?
Reply 6
Original post by tobyt19

My daughter rented a seven bed flat last year and paid £70/ month for the 10 months that they were there.The heating was at a minimum and everyone was careful with the switching on and off of lights but they still ended up with a shortfall of £300 for the year per room. So in reality each person paid £100/ month.
If the property you are renting is not well insulated or has a heating system that is not the most efficient you could end up spending the money you have been asked for.
Reply 7
Original post by tobyt19

Absolutely not.

What is the provider, what is the tariff?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending