The Student Room Group

Down in the Dumps

So I applied to study Dentistry (at 3 unis) as well as Dental Therapy and Hygiene (for back up) - despite my low predicted grades. 4 of them (all of the dental schools) have rejected my app. I feel really useless and incredibly upset, especially when I see so many people getting offers. I do plan to retake to of my subjects, but is it even realistic to think that I can get the right grades to re apply?
Reply 1
What were your predicted grades?
Were you expecting 4 rejections?
Reply 2
Dentistry is one of the highest paid jobs in the country as is fiercely competitive.
Reply 3
Have you considered going abroad
Reply 4
My predict grades were: AAB and i was expecting rejections but not this many!
My parents thought about abroad maybe Prague or Holland. But the expenses would be immense.
It's not always about your predicted grades, people seem to misunderstand. It's about your current AS grades and the potential to achieve the required grades alongside many other factors. You have to sell yourself to the admissions team and in this case unfortunately you were not good enough. If dentistry is the only path you want to pursue you may be able to apply through clearing (which may or may not be possible, I'm not sure) or take a Gap year and apply with grades in hand. This way you can match your grades to the ones required and consider whether or not you're actually capable of being admitted onto a dentistry course. I'm sorry to hear about your rejections but keep your chin up and move forward. You can't re-roll the time, just make good out of a bad situation. The most important thing is you've learned from your mistakes.
Reply 6
Original post by Abdul-Karim
It's not always about your predicted grades, people seem to misunderstand. It's about your current AS grades and the potential to achieve the required grades alongside many other factors. You have to sell yourself to the admissions team and in this case unfortunately you were not good enough. If dentistry is the only path you want to pursue you may be able to apply through clearing (which may or may not be possible, I'm not sure) or take a Gap year and apply with grades in hand. This way you can match your grades to the ones required and consider whether or not you're actually capable of being admitted onto a dentistry course. I'm sorry to hear about your rejections but keep your chin up and move forward. You can't re-roll the time, just make good out of a bad situation. The most important thing is you've learned from your mistakes.

Didn't make me feel any better, but I guess that was a heavy dose of reality. I will try and take you advice into consideration whilst I go and lick my wounds.
Original post by Tomi9568
Didn't make me feel any better, but I guess that was a heavy dose of reality. I will try and take you advice into consideration whilst I go and lick my wounds.

Feeling better won't get you on to the course will it :rolleyes:. Instead of being continuously upset 'Work hard, play harder'.
Reply 8
I guess that is the trade now. Thank you though - and sorry about the theatrical moment.
Reply 9
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Actually you're wrong, in dentistry it's all about your predicted grades, if you don't have AAA you literally shouldn't even bother applying, you won't get a single offer. Trust me on that. Also dentistry isn't available (nor has it ever been) through clearing due to the fact it's so oversubscribed, schools don't have a problem filling their places. However, you are perfectly correct that the best thing to do is to reapply with your grades in hand. Don't give up just yet. A year out of your life is nothing if it means you get to do the course you want.
Reply 11
Original post by Kartace
Actually you're wrong, in dentistry it's all about your predicted grades, if you don't have AAA you literally shouldn't even bother applying, you won't get a single offer. Trust me on that. Also dentistry isn't available (nor has it ever been) through clearing due to the fact it's so oversubscribed, schools don't have a problem filling their places. However, you are perfectly correct that the best thing to do is to reapply with your grades in hand. Don't give up just yet. A year out of your life is nothing if it means you get to do the course you want.

Dentistry is available through clearing in a small numbers of cases, I know 3 people who are current dental students at Plymouth and Newcastle who got in through clearing.
But I do agree with you, predicted grades are very important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ImAz
Dentistry is available through clearing in a small numbers of cases, I know 3 people who are current dental students at Plymouth and Newcastle who got in through clearing.
But I do agree with you, predicted grades are very important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? God, how times have changed... They'll probably start having waiting lists now to avoid the randomness of clearing.
Original post by Tomi9568
So I applied to study Dentistry (at 3 unis) as well as Dental Therapy and Hygiene (for back up) - despite my low predicted grades. 4 of them (all of the dental schools) have rejected my app. I feel really useless and incredibly upset, especially when I see so many people getting offers. I do plan to retake to of my subjects, but is it even realistic to think that I can get the right grades to re apply?

I don't think universities accept students who retake subjects for Dentistry in particular.

Source: A friend is trying to get there

Quick Reply

Latest