The Student Room Group

Increasingly lowering motivation to do A-Levels, help?

Skip to the TL;DR if you want, i'm just laying my cards out here.

At this very moment, i should be doing my History coursework, arguing over how suicide terrorism is the key turning point in the nature of terrorism - it's super fun, and super interesting and i know i can do well in it, but for some reason i don't want to! I've got my uni offers and everything and i thought that would be motivation enough to continue working hard etc. I also tell myself how i just have to work super hard for another 10 months or so, so that bad grades won't hold me back in life.

Throughout my entire life I've never been pushed to do anything, and I've been constantly trying to motivate myself, i think I'm just sick of it and it's hard to push yourself to do something you really don't want to do, especially when no one has ever forced you to do anything. I make jokes to my mum about what will happen if i fail my a-levels, don't get into university etc. But because of the spiritualist she is, apparently it's 'all meant to be'. I am so tired of this irrational way of thinking. (though it has it's positives, nonetheless.)

I'm the first in my family to go and do an academic subject in university, my siblings all did art and the rest of my family stopped education at 16, or didn't go at all. This in itself is another reason, everyone around me is telling me how i should pursue art etc, and how i don't have to follow on in conventional education and make my own living off of my art, but i don't want to do that.

My family also just don't understand A-Levels (whats not to understand, right? your own daughter's education), I've told them multiple times but there is 0 interest in what i'm doing and what i'm pursuing. Only until last week my sister thought that all the homework I'm set and all my folders that contained work was going to be marked by examiners. (unaware that you're graded through coursework/exams).

There are people out there in much worst predicaments than me (i'm not even in a predicament, i'm being a spoiled child), but the combination of a comfortable life, and hardly ever having to deal with hardships had made me flat out lazy as hell.

TL;DR?
Motivate me to do a-levels, never been pushed to do anything in my life, need more motivation than "university!" or "jobs!" quite frankly, those words are blocked off in my head atm, heard it all already, lost it's effect. Plus, I'm a raging idiot who makes no sense.
I became very dis-motivated to do anything for a long period and the reason I did is because I felt as though I had nothing to aim for. What you need to do is discard any of your other problems and events going on in your life and think about ambitions and aims which you want to achieve - and the benefits it'll create for you.

I am hoping to do dentistry at university and the only way I can do this is by dismissing the tedious nature of revision and the insignificant problems in my life, and by getting a book - revising, organising work-experience, doing outside activities and fantisising about the prospects it'll create prior to my own graft.

History is such a respected essay-based academic subject and a good grade in it will rapidly increase your university desirability. Think about what a good grade could mean for you.
I am also self-motivated - my family don't push me to do anything and their expectations are very low (not of me but of what they'd be happy for me to achieve). Self-motivation is a great thing and remember why you are self-motivated - it's because you want to create something better. So, get through this depressing period and don't let potentially a couple of down months effect your History grade, university prospects and career ambitions - it's not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest