The Student Room Group

Masters help

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone who has ever been in a similar situation can help me.

I always try and not get my hopes up about a set career plan as I know life doesn’t always work that way, but for a bit of background I have just finished my second year of psychology. Im always uncertain if it’s a bit optimistic until I see what I graduate with, but I have always hoped to eventually apply for the doctorate in clinical psychology one day, but would like to do a master of science first (all being well when I graduate next year) as I’m well aware of how competitive it is and I would also like to continue my studies anyway in case the plan of the doctorate doesn’t work out. I have had my heart set on a couple of courses for quite a while, the clinical and health psychology Msc in Manchester, or applied clinical psychology in UCLAN. The entry requirements include at least 2:1 across all research methods modules across your undergraduate degree, I have got a first in all of them so far since I started. My problem is I have had my quantitative report grade back today and currently waiting for the 30% exam grade which combines the module with my report grade. I didn’t do as well in my report as I was hoping and feeling pretty gutted about it, as I wasn’t very confident in my exam, and essentially I am stressing that I will get below a 2:1 in this module which would stop me getting onto those specific MSc courses. I was posting this mainly to ask, if you are hoping to eventually apply for the DClinPsy, does anyone have any other MSc recommendations other than the ones I have been looking at (assuming I wouldn’t get onto those if I don’t achieve a 2:1 in this module is what I’m saying). I have seen masters in psychology (general), masters in health and well-being, masters in mental health, and masters in brain and behaviour to name a few and finding it quite overwhelming. I’m trying to take this as my lesson to not get my heart set on a certain course or career early into my degree but I’ve mainly used it as a reason for drive with my uni stuff up until now and it’s pushed me motivation wise up until now especially with RM modules. Any word of advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the huge essay of a question 😂
You are worrying about the wrong thing.

MScs are not what gets people onto clinical doctorates (I don't have one) and since I qualified I have supervised and taught plenty of trainee clinical psychologists without them. It's far more about the clinical experience, reflective ability and your capacity to demonstrate you have attained the core competencies of the role.

Reflecting on this myself, I am increasingly sceptical about their value especially when routes like IAPT, CAAPs and other roles are increasingly available and MScs have become more and more common in clinical application piles. I think that is partly because universities use them as cash cows to supplement their budgets so their intakes have expanded massively; yet I think undergrads flock to them as they seem the next logical step and there is such little good guidance out there. That said a good PhD probably still does help you stand out from the crowd, as they are fewer, it demonstrates you can work at doctoral level, publish and self govern while on training.

Quick Reply

Latest