The Student Room Group

Are we time itself? or does time happen around us?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
What we normally call time is a human construct.
TIme has to be relative and should be with respect to a observer.

Cause and effect does not indicate that time exists as an objective reality - because two observers could observe the a single event at two different times depending on their absolute velocities...

Time as we know it is a human construct.

Nope, perception of time just varies. The separation of spacetime events is, however, objective.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm not sure I'd say it's a human construct, but it seems that the way we perceive time is an illusion as in reality all events-past, present, future- exist now and are equally real. In other words, I think in ultimate reality everything is occurring at once.

I wouldn't say everything is occurring at once; there is a definite arrow of time and the speed of light is the limiting factor in this. We have 'light cones' of past, present and future, and our future is restricted by the speed of light so that it is impossible for our future to be our past. The closest you can get to time travel is getting sucked into a black hole, so I'd say past, present and future are separated very definitely.
Original post by StarvingAutist
Nope, perception of time just varies. The separation of spacetime events is, however, objective.

I wouldn't say everything is occurring at once; there is a definite arrow of time and the speed of light is the limiting factor in this. We have 'light cones' of past, present and future, and our future is restricted by the speed of light so that it is impossible for our future to be our past. The closest you can get to time travel is getting sucked into a black hole, so I'd say past, present and future are separated very definitely.

I'm afraid this isn't correct. All times are equally real, as shown by relativity and as said by the likes of Einstein, it is only our perception which makes it seem as if time progresses linearly.
I'm afraid this isn't correct. All times are equally real, as shown by relativity and as said by the likes of Einstein, it is only our perception which makes it seem as if time progresses linearly.

Where can I read about this? I was under the impression that the speed of light restricted the flow of time to one direction.
Original post by StarvingAutist
Where can I read about this? I was under the impression that the speed of light restricted the flow of time to one direction.

In our perception maybe, but not in ultimate reality I don't think. The block model of time is a good place to start.
In our perception maybe, but not in ultimate reality I don't think. The block model of time is a good place to start.

Interesting, thanks.

Conscious beings observing time or not....

"If time didn't exist then everything would happen at once." - A. Einstein.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnPaul_
Conscious beings observing time or not....

"If time didn't exist then everything would happen at once." - A. Einstein.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, exactly. Conscious beings perceive time as a progression.

"...for us physicists believe the separation between past, present, and future is only an illusion, although a convincing one." - A. Einstein
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, exactly. Conscious beings perceive time as a progression.

"...for us physicists believe the separation between past, present, and future is only an illusion, although a convincing one." - A. Einstein

That's not really what your point was saying. You described all events and as happening at once, cause and effects happening at once, unless that's not what you mean? But what Einstein is talking about is how our 'now' is simultaneous with an event far away in space which we would call the past. That statement is just a way of saying time is relative.

What I'm saying is that there is a progression regardless of how conscious beings perceive this dimension, and it is the previous state determining the next state. You can't have all things in space and time happening at once. If it does then the word 'once' is a bad choice of word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not really what your point was saying. You described all events and as happening at once, cause and effects happening at once, unless that's not what you mean? But what Einstein is talking about is how our 'now' is simultaneous with an event far away in space which we would call the past. That statement is just a way of saying time is relative.

What I'm saying is that there is a progression regardless of how conscious beings perceive this dimension, and it is the previous state determining the next state. You can't have all things in space and time happening at once. If it does then the word 'once' is a bad choice of word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was what I was saying. You can have all things happening at once in ultimate reality and yet at the same time have us experiencing it as a chain of events. That's clearly what Einstein alludes to in the quote, if the separation between past, present and future is an illusion then by definition they're all occurring simultaneously.
(edited 10 years ago)
the way we experience time is relative, our quantification of it is a human construct, it exists absolutely independently of man.
Reply 50
Original post by tmorrall
Do you actually believe in that biocentrism crap?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, honestly I didn't know the meaning of that word. But now I know something about it. You mean the Lanza's stuff? Very interesting. But I don't think it's the brand new. I prefer Buddhism. Much more interesting. You don't like Biocentrism , do you? Why not? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
1) Yes there is, and it was the centre of a huge debate for years between Leonard Susskind (Standford) and Stephen Hawking (Cambridge) about wether information could be lost in a black hole; also known as Black Hole Information Paradox. "If information is lost then cause and effect would seem to go out the window" - Dr. Lawrence Krauss. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_information_paradox

No, information is anything that's physically existing, matter is a form of information, and our bodies is the product of matter.

They're two separate questions. Time still exists after death you just can't perceive it, so when we talk about it now, you have to talk about it slightly differently.

And well, what causes time? No one knows to be fair. Some argue that it's been around for all eternity and some say it was created with everything else along side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's imagine I'm a dead person, but you're still alive. What does that mean? It means we both have got different worlds. You have your own world. I have mine. You can still see hot girls in bikini. You can still hear the sound of rock music. You can still feel time flowing. You still have got five senses. So you can say time still exists.

But what about me? As a dead person, I lose everything. No more sexy girls can be seen. No more rock music. I can't feel time anymore. No more five senses. How can I say time still exists? Absolutely impossible!

So time exists for the living, but for the dead it doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Lord Frieza
It is true. Time wouldn't exist for them as they would not acknowledge. Time can be different for everyone

You can say that again! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skunkboy
Let's imagine I'm a dead person, but you're still alive. What does that mean? It means we both have got different worlds. You have your own world. I have mine. You can still see hot girls in bikini. You can still hear the sound of rock music. You can still feel time flowing. You still have got five senses. So you can say time still exists.

But what about me? As a dead person, I lose everything. No more sexy girls can be seen. No more rock music. I can't feel time anymore. No more five senses. How can I say time still exists? Absolutely impossible!

So time exists for the living, but for the dead it doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 'you' that you are referring to is the consciousness in your brain, so once your body does there's no awareness of anything that you would be experiencing, so it would seem like you're not, this would be true for the senses but time isn't a sense it's just there, you can't touch, smell, taste, hear or see time. And because time is a dimension and not intrinsic only in biology then time wouldn't stop for you anymore than it would stop for me as I live.

In a nutshell...
'You' as a dead person, wouldn't experience time, that doesn't mean it's not existing for you anymore. Because your body will rot and rot and become more disorder etc,. there needs to be time for this to occur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Copperknickers
Because of course they do. Time doesn't just stop when there is nobody observing it, if you go out and come back home your clock shows a different time, therefore it has been ticking the whole time nobody was watching it.

Besides, there will still be animals after humans have gone.

Lol,who knows time doesn't just stop when there is nobody observing it? And who realizes the clock shows a different time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by silverbolt
The measurement of time hours minutes seconds doesnt exist without us as its a human construct. But time is still there as it takes time to effect things other than humans.

The dead dont breathe doesnt mean that air itself doesnt exist

Who knows time is still there as it takes time to effect things other than humans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who knows time is still there as it takes time to effect things other than humans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it doesnt matter if time is known or not on a conscious level, the cliff has no concept of time yet it is still eroded by the sea. To use my air analogy again, the dog doesnt know about the chemical makeup of air, it doesnt consciously realise that the air is there - but it still breathes
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
The 'you' that you are referring to is the consciousness in your brain, so once your body does there's no awareness of anything that you would be experiencing, so it would seem like you're not, this would be true for the senses but time isn't a sense it's just there, you can't touch, smell, taste, hear or see time. And because time is a dimension and not intrinsic only in biology then time wouldn't stop for you anymore than it would stop for me as I live.

In a nutshell...
'You' as a dead person, wouldn't experience time, that doesn't mean it's not existing for you anymore. Because your body will rot and rot and become more disorder etc,. there needs to be time for this to occur.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, as a dead person I can't feel my body or time anymore. That means for me time doesn't exist anymore. But you a living person or an observer can still feel time flowing. You can see my body rotting and becoming more disorder, etc. You can still measure time. I can do that? It's impossible. I can feel my body rotting? Absolutely not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by silverbolt
it doesnt matter if time is known or not on a conscious level, the cliff has no concept of time yet it is still eroded by the sea. To use my air analogy again, the dog doesnt know about the chemical makeup of air, it doesnt consciously realise that the air is there - but it still breathes

Who knows the cliff has no concept of time? Who knows the cliff is still eroded by the sea? Who knows the dog doesn't know things about the air? The dead people can know that? The dead people can think about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol,who knows time doesn't just stop when there is nobody observing it?

If they did, then clocks wouldn't show a different time when you looked at them again.

And who realizes the clock shows a different time?

Anyone who isn't blind?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending