The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

When would be the earliest I could move into accommodation?

If fresher's week starts on the 25th, would it be a week/weekend prior?
Original post by Anonymous

A week before
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

I think if you are not an international student, you will move in on the weekend before (23rd/24th September).

Your accommodation contract should have a start date, that will be the earliest you can move into accommodation. For university owned accommodation it's typically the weekend before freshers weeek, but accommodation ran by other companies/landlords will vary.
Reply 4
It's the weekend before freshers, unless you are international, and then I think it is a week before.

Hiya

If Freshers' week starts on 25th September, move-in for home students will be 23/24 September while the same for international students will start from 16/17 September.

-Himieka
Hello, I was wondering how move in works, do we book a slot or are we allocated a time? Or do we just show up whenever. I know we will get more details later, just interested in how it normally works! :smile:
Reply 7
Hello, I was wondering how move in works, do we book a slot or are we allocated a time? Or do we just show up whenever. I know we will get more details later, just interested in how it normally works! :smile:

With my son last year in Trevs , he was sent a link to book a time slot. He had the choice of sat or Sun. The freps (fresher reps), unloaded everything from the car in minutes!! We didn't have to lift q finger and everything was taken up to the room, it was brilliant
Original post by ajl1972
With my son last year in Trevs , he was sent a link to book a time slot. He had the choice of sat or Sun. The freps (fresher reps), unloaded everything from the car in minutes!! We didn't have to lift q finger and everything was taken up to the room, it was brilliant

Hi, thanks for sharing! That sounds brilliant, I have a long journey from my hometown so being able to book a slot to suit my travel would be useful. I hope your son is having a lovely time in Durham.😊

It really depends on your college. Trevs did that for their students but John snow (my college) this year split us into 2 groups and one moved on the Saturday and the other on the sunday. There is the option to r change the day just speak to the porters (that’s what I did).
Reply 10
Hi, thanks for sharing! That sounds brilliant, I have a long journey from my hometown so being able to book a slot to suit my travel would be useful. I hope your son is having a lovely time in Durham.😊

He is absolutely loving it !!! 😃
Original post by evakesiax
It really depends on your college. Trevs did that for their students but John snow (my college) this year split us into 2 groups and one moved on the Saturday and the other on the sunday. There is the option to r change the day just speak to the porters (that’s what I did).

Thanks for the different perspective! I guess I'll wait and see but its nice to know they can be accommodating like that!

Original post by ajl1972
He is absolutely loving it !!! 😃

I'm so glad, I'm really looking forward to being there in september! :smile:
Reply 12
My daughter is an international student and we are trying to figure out flights and when to arrive. So she most likely would be able to move in on Sat or Sun September 23 or 24? We'd like to help move her in--is that OK? And when do parents leave?? Since she's an international student would things start for her on her move in day so we would leave then or is it better for us to be in the area and leave on Monday the 25th when Freshers week starts? Don't want to be hanging around to embarrass her but also don't want to leave earlier than is typical. Thanks!
Original post by brook mill
My daughter is an international student and we are trying to figure out flights and when to arrive. So she most likely would be able to move in on Sat or Sun September 23 or 24? We'd like to help move her in--is that OK? And when do parents leave?? Since she's an international student would things start for her on her move in day so we would leave then or is it better for us to be in the area and leave on Monday the 25th when Freshers week starts? Don't want to be hanging around to embarrass her but also don't want to leave earlier than is typical. Thanks!

Firstly I think it depends on which college she’s been given (obviously for UK students they have to wait until results day to receive their confirmed college but idk how it works for internationals) Secondly they will tell you when international students move in because it’s different from UK home students. I would ring the college and confirm the move in date to be sure so you can confirm the flights beforehand. I hope this helps
Reply 14
Firstly I think it depends on which college she’s been given (obviously for UK students they have to wait until results day to receive their confirmed college but idk how it works for internationals) Secondly they will tell you when international students move in because it’s different from UK home students. I would ring the college and confirm the move in date to be sure so you can confirm the flights beforehand. I hope this helps

Thank you--she has an unconditional offer so just waiting for the college allocation which should happen in the next couple of weeks we think? That's a great idea--will contact the college itself once she has that information.

Quick Reply

Latest